Rel has 5 thousand posts and is happily "meh"

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Maybe I can "out cryptic" Truth Seeker with that title, eh?

So yeah, 5,000 posts came and went for me today and I'd like to say that I was loving every minute of it but I wasn't. At the moment, I'm feeling kinda bleh, or meh or something that ends in "eh". And yet I feel good about feeling that way. Let me explain.

To say that GenCon was a high point for me this year would be a bit of an understatement. It might not be precisely accurate to say that it was "the" high point for me this year, but it was probably close. Call it top three anyway.

The people I met, the stuff I saw, the games I played, every bit of it was fantastic. I won't go on and on about it (because I've already done that in many a GenCon thread) but it surpassed my expectations in every way and I loved it.

The last few weeks since then have been tough for me, primarily because of the hurricane damage. My thirst for news and the depression I feel whenever I watch it have been at war and nobody is winning. I take solace in knowing that I'm doing what I can. I've donated some stuff and what little money I can afford and I plan to donate more later. Still, it has taken a considerable toll on how I feel.

The silver lining of this whole cloud however was to have been (and still is - read on) the 8th North Carolina Game Day, which many of you know that I've been very involved in organizing and promoting. Unfortunately, as things have come down to the wire, a great many of the folks who have attended past game days have not been able to attend. Adamantine Angel (he probably shouldn't count since he's getting married), Old One, Der Kluge, Nakia, Cthulhu's Librarian and then Henry, have one by one let us know that they couldn't make it this time.

Now of course I bear them no ill will over this. Life happens. More important priorities emerge and that's just the way it is. I know that each of them would enjoy being here tomorrow if he could but he just can't. In particular, I regret that Cthulhu's Librarian and Henry couldn't make it. CL was one of my travelling companions to GenCon and was a big reason why I had such a great time. And Henry has been to every single NC Game Day up to this point and I've gotten very fond of the man (plus I was to have played in his Spycraft game). Both were to have been houseguests of mine and I was really looking forward to sitting around my basement swapping stories, CL and I taunting Henry about not being at GenCon and so forth. It would have been a big boost to my flagging morale of late to have those guys here with me now.

The realization of all this is what makes me happy, even in the midst of the "meh". What it reminds me is that ENWorld is far more than just a website to me. Even far more than a message board. It has become a collection of friends who I have had the priviledge to come to know to an extent I never would have guessed at when I joined this place some four and a half years ago. You folks are people that I care about. People that I truly, genuinely enjoy conversing with and, even better, being around. And I miss you when you're not around. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather miss you than not care enough to miss you.

So, to those fine gentlemen who are not making this Game Day tomorrow, I miss you and I wish you were here. And to the many new friends who are not so far away, Universe, Queen D, Xath and others from just a bit further north than convenience and gas prices will allow to be here, I wish you were here too. We'll try to have fun without you and I look forward to when you can next be here. I know we'll have a blast.

In the mean time, I take solace in having ENWorld here where it remains a collection of good friends whose only real fault lies in the fact that I don't get to see you often enough. Take care and wish me luck running my games tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Rel

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I feel you Rel. I completely understand. True, I do have a gaming life and I acquaint with those people, but I wouldn't call them friends. To me a friend is someone who hangs by your side through the good and the bad. I consider many people here to be my friends, and having got to meet some of them at GenCon this year lit up my life. I only have three really good friends and they know well enough when I need support. I would like to thank everyone here for helping me have a moral compass, because sometimes I can stray. I even get depressed and can hurt. I am human. We all are. But we are all here for each other. I hope ENWorld lasts till the end of time.

Consider this my feelings about the community and wht my last 7,000+ posts have led up to. Thank you, thak all of you, for helping me help myself.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Language Anguish

Well...it is rare moment, when I don't make normal sense. :eek:

Get all giddy...when I saw the mark.

But CONGRATS!! Rel...ye is doing swell. :D

reveal

Adventurer
If it makes you feel any better, I'm still looking at getting out there in January. ;)

Seriously though, I know it's tough right now. But you are doing everything you can and that's that's all that can be expected out of anyone. I would recommend that every time you get an urge to watch TV or check the Internet for news on the storm, stop and go spend time with Samantha the Red and/or your wife. If nothing else, it will help you appreciate your family that much more. :)

Hey Rel-

I'm really wishing that I could be there today, but as you say, other stuff sometimes gets in the way. BUt I'll see you come January, and we'll get to tease Henry at that time!

Rich

der_kluge

Adventurer
Well said! I wish I could be there. I knew I didn't have enough points for a game day this weekend. :) And to top it off, my wife scheduled being out of town this weekend, so it's a definite no-go for me this time. Et tu January? I didn't know there was a January game day. that one is iffy. I'll have a 3 month old then. April is probably more feasible. We'll see.

Maybe some day I can organize a Richmond game day, and then everyone from Raleigh, and everyone from D.C. can converge together!

fett527

First Post
Have fun at gameday Rel. And I'll try to light a fire under Enk&Dshai to get the SH updated to help bring you ou of the "meh".

Darth K'Trava

First Post
I hope this Game Day went well, despite those who couldn't make it. I had to work and thusly couldn't make it; that and just coming back from Dragoncon.... I'd have made the last one back in April had I not stayed up 'till nearly 4AM in a debate with Torm and another poster who I forget who he was... :heh: Maybe in January or next April.

Hang in there, bud! :)

Remove ads