Is Larry Elmore still popular?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm reading Soverign Stone now and diggint Larry Elmore's art style thoughout the book. You don't get to see his b&w stuff too often these days unless you're buying sketbooks or other source material.

So as I was reading it, I was wondering if people still like the revered master. With new artists being used all the time at WoTC and other companies, especially things like Udon, or the guys from Iron Kingdoms, I'm just wondering if the market still appreciates the good old classics.

Napftor

Explorer
I still appreciate Elmore as well as Caldwell and Parkinson. Easley seems to have lost something over the years but the others I'd take any day.

Turjan

Explorer
Hand of Evil said:
I like his stuff but I hate to say this, I think a lot of it looks the same.
It's always the same face, yes :). Which more or less answers the question. One or two pieces? Yes. A whole book of his illustrations? No.

lrsach01

Explorer
His style is pretty much locked. Nothing sparking or screaming "NEW." Talk to him if you get the chance, though. I met him at Gencon. Great guy with some fantastic stories.

Zander

Explorer
Napftor said:
I still appreciate Elmore as well as Caldwell and Parkinson.
I agree and would even go further: the 'old masters' generally beat the newer artists.

It's not that the younger artists lack talent - many of the are extremely skilled - it's that they're trying too hard to take fantasy in new directions.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Elmore's OK, but he never really swept me off my feet. I wouldn't say he's not popular, just not 'hot'. Both the market and the talent pool are much larger these days than in the past, so there's a lot more room to spread out.

Remove ads