Is Larry Elmore still popular?

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Guilberwood said:
Just wanted to say I love Elmore's work.

His Dragonlance art was the main reason I started to read the novels and then playing in the setting in the first place.

Mine, actually, was after finding out that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman were nice people at last year's Dragoncon. :D

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
WizarDru said:
Well the terms anime and videogamey are thrown around, often by people who don't really know that much about either. That's more of why I was curious how you defined it...some folks have claimed that all the illustrations in 3e were all anime-styled. But then, when presented with specific examples of how they were ignorant of how diverse anime (and moreso manga) can be artistically. Which isn't to say that there aren't lots of anime style-tropes to reference...just that some D&D isn't a place I'd reference as being influenced by it.

TV shows like Teen Titans are influenced by anime. Lots of North American art is influenced by anime. But the only anime influence I've seen so far in D&D are a few slightly manga-ish pics from Races of Faerun and a couple articles in Dragon magazine lately which look more drawn from the design of Street Fighter-esque games than anime per se...which is probably where we get that whole "videogamey" thing from.

But yeah, apparently "anime" is now a pejorative. Used, of course, by people who don't watch anime or read manga.

Beckett

Explorer
tetsujin28 said:
Yeah, I cringed when I saw that the rehired Baxa to do an illustration in one of the Complete books. What were they thinking?

Yup. One of the things that made the first Dark Sun boxed set (and a lot of the supplements) so great was all the Brom art. Yes, Baxa had stuff in there, but it was easy to ignore in favor of all the good stuff by Brom. For me, Brom defined Dark Sun. The revised boxed set, besides suffering from the whole novel arc metaplot, was lousy with Baxa's work.

Back on topic, Larry Elmore is an RPG classic; I've grown up with the stuff. At a glance, it looks good, and some stuff is especially nice. Now that I'm older, I do notice problems with it, such as the lack of movement one poster mentioned. Still, he has some amazing scenes, and, much as Brom did Dark Sun, he defined Dragonlance.

Of the new artists, Wayne Reynolds is the only name that sticks in my head, and the only one I have a hope of identifying before seeing a signature. Love his stuff. The best part of getting interested in Eberron is I get to keep buying books with two-page spreads by Reynolds. One of my wishes is that Monte Cook was stillling doing his stuff at WotC, so that Arcane Unearthed/Evolved (my other passion) could get some art from Reynolds.

tetsujin28

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
But yeah, apparently "anime" is now a pejorative. Used, of course, by people who don't watch anime or read manga.
Pretty much. The "anime" influence upon D&D art is pretty much negligible.

Remove ads