Dark Deeds On White Mountain--Game Thread

Gray Shade

First Post
Under a full moon, near the peak of White Mountain, a blunt tower of gray stone whips into existence between thick patches of Autumn fog. A guard at the small town of Hazel, halfway down the mountain calls in his captain to see the apparition, and soon the whole of the town's meager populace stands on the wooden wall watching. The next morning, the Mayor's advisor, Hedrick, attempts to divine the meaning of the tower, but when he throws the bones, he is incapacitated and falls into a gibbering heap. Over the next week, harrowing signs appear for all to see: the miners throw extra glances to their tunnels' ceilings after a cave in claims three lives; tourists panning for gold abandon their vacations after seeing blood running in the water of the streams. The Mayor, his advisor still useless, sends a messenger to Rumbol, the city at the base of the mountain, on the river Crux, to recruit help. While waiting over the next two weeks, a cursed pall of blackness comes to rest upon the temple of Woden and none will enter save the Padre, and the Stone Tower continues to appear and disappear every night, fading in and out of existence like a blind man feeling for reality. From his bed, wracked with pain and confusion, Hedrick the Boneman cries out in languages dark and unknown and when he does slip back into Dwarven he only mutters of the full moon. The Mayor rules a doomed town.

He is not bright, but does understand that the source of the doom must be the stone tower
that moves like a ghost through the mists about the mount's peak. It appeared on a full moon, and he, and all the people of his town, fear what will happen at the next full moon.

With only a week left before the next full moon comes, the mercenaries from Rumbol arrive. Hazel's coffers are small, but a few so-called professional adventurers have answered the call.

As soon as they arrive in town, the Mayor meets them and pays them (half--other half when they return). He calls a town meeting for the next morning, and when the sun rises, all have assembled in the small town market. The town's folk do not need the situation explained. They can tell by looking at the sparse number of mercenaries. They know that some of their own are going to have to step forward to explore this tower and somehow stop whatever darkness it is causing.

The Mayor finishes his plea to the people, but there's really no reason for his begging. The people of Hazel are prideful and strong from enduring their harsh mining lifestyle and biting winters as the snow of White Mountain settles over them in two-foot drifts every year. The people of Hazel are good stock and understand their grim situation. The people answer the call to arms.

Welcome to the Dark Deeds On White Mountain game thread! I have no additional rules to my thread, except that you follow the already established rules of EN Worlds, and everyone try to play nice. Also, as the DM, I have final say. I can be persuaded by rules and sometimes even argument, but I will not be buffaloed. That said, we're all here to have some fun, so let's get started . . .

Gray Shade

First Post
Townspeoples' Introduction

You've been a citizen of Hazel for years, if not your entire life. Hazel has always been a good home, and you've plied your trade well there and made many friends. You've survived raids by Orcs, Goblins, and once even a Troll from the shaded (South) side of White Mountain. Perhaps you've journeyed outside the town and adventured a little, perhaps not; in either case, you were in town when the tower first appeared and have seen it and its ill signs with your own horrified eyes over the last three weeks. You know the Mayor sent a runner for professional adventurers to solve the problem, but you also know that Hazel is not their town. It's yours, and you're not about to stand idly by while it's threatened. When the Mayor calls the town meeting, you're one of the first ones there, and you show up in full gear, ready to begin your adventure immediately.

There are four of you who step forward to answer the call to arms:

Lars Grimhelm (Human) (Deuce Traveler): Lars looks and acts in a similar way to the vikings of old, drinking heavily, bathing rarely, and making a loud nuisance out of himself. He is good-natured, though, and despite his social awkwardness people tend to enjoy being around him. Or somewhat near him, as the 6 foot and 2 inch, 195 pound, red hair and bearded man needs to take a bath sometime. Lars wears a Breastplate and Helmet of beautiful Dwarven workmanship and carries axes of various sizes.

Dentmus Otragan (Human) (Krug): Dentmus hair is long and messy, as is his beard. He is dressed in dirty robes most of the time, and bears an odd smell. He is often seeing walking along with his boar, Grunt, or his duck, Quack, leashed. He carries only small weapons and a light, wooden shield.

Haakon Sigurdsson (Human) (Fenris): Haakon, is a young man only 19 years of age, with his first winter's beard coming in. His long reddish-blond hair is braided and falls over broad shoulders. He normally wears the simple clothing of the people of Hazel, but has acquired a few heirlooms from some of his father's more celebrated commissions. Today, over his regular clothing, he wears a nice chain shirt and carries a greatsword. A beautifully carved horn hangs from a sling across his shoulder.

The Padre (Dwarf) (Lazlow): The Padre is a well-weathered Dwarf, skin burnished by the sun and hair grayed by the happy burden of providing this small community with spiritual guidance. Somewhat slight of build for a Dwarf, he wears his hair and beard in a single ponytail each, adding to the illusion of a slender frame. Dressed in leather boots, sturdy woolen clothes trimmed with fur, and a leather cap, he stands as a bastion of faith for the town of Hazel. He is dressed practically, with only a belt of pouches around his waist, a chain shirt, a crossbow, and a longspear.

Locals Only, please:
[sblock]
Having lived around each other, you know a bit about each other's histories:

Lars Grimhelm: During a goblin raid, Lars' blacksmith father and his mother were killed, leaving the boy homeless. The local dwarven community took him in as one of their own, teaching them the ways of metal, fighting with an axe, and song. Unfortunately, Lars never fit in with either the dwarves or humans, and often finds himself culturally confused. He has, however, been a great addition to the community and works helping in the woodworking, blacksmithing, and mining shops. He is friend to all.

Dentmus Otragan: No one really knows WHERE Dentmus came from, but a few years ago, he suddenly showed up on White Mountain offering services to towns. Over the years, he has proven his worth as an advisor on farming and weather, peddling his healing skills, which he is admittedly good at, offering to treat all the sick young virgins and what ails them for half-price. He also gives advise on crops, using his spells and knowledge to enhance them, or (and this is only rumored!) if suitably paid, weaken them so that the landowner would need to sell off their property. He also cures animals and such, again, seeming to do it more for coin than any great love.

Haakon Sigurdsson: Sigurd Olafsson is the local woodcarver and storyteller, he carves the runic poles for the longhouses, the ship's prows and is widely regarded as the best story teller on this side of the mountain. His son, Haakon has inherited his father's passion for stories, legends and epics and collects them like treasure, especially those about shieldbiters. Like most local boys, Haakon learn to use a sword to fight off the orcs and Shade Trolls, though his father doesn't like it, Haakon seems intents on being more than a woodcarver and seeks to be just like the skald-warriors of the old days.

The Padre: Born and raised in Hazel, The Padre gladly took up the mantle of the Priest of Woden, like his father before him, and his father's father as well. When not tending to the spiritual needs of the town, he spends his time as a trapper, trading pelts and furs in
Hazel and Rumbol.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Gray Shade

First Post
Professional Adventurers' Introduction

You were in the city of Rumbol, on the river Crux, a large town that acts as way-point for miners loading barges with their raw treasures. You may have been just passing through, or you may be a local, in any case, you find yourself in an avant-garde theater, where during the advertisements before the play, the crier tells of the dark plight of the town of Hazel, up above Crux on White Mountain. Swayed by the struggle of the people (and, a little by the 600 gp reward for help) you've made the two-day journey to Hazel to offer assistance. In Hazel, you are met by the Mayor.

A seemingly genuinely concerned and caring Human, he gives you half the reward for your help the night you arrive (the 300 gp extra) and asks you to attend a town meeting the next morning. You agree and when the sun rises you make your way the short distance to the town market where you stand along side the Mayor and the other professional(s) at the head of a crowd of about forty people, mostly Humans and Dwarves--all of Hazel.

There are two of you, one standing on either side of the Mayor.

Ka’ashawndrah (Elf) (Tailspinner): Ka’ashawndrah is very short for an elf. She wears her mid-back length silver hair in a ponytail most of the time. She can most often be found wearing a shirt and vest, wool breeches, sturdy boots, a belt, and a cloak with a hood. She wears studded leather armor over her clothes and carries most of her equipment in her backpack. She has a long sword at her belt, and a long bow and a quiver of arrows on her shoulder.

Mist, Valkrie Knight of the Woden Order (Human) (Bloodweaver1): Mist stands about 5’8”, and weighs about 130 lbs. She has long black hair with hazel eyes. On her heavy banded mail armor, impressive, steel shield and in the pommel of her long sword there are the two ravens of Woden. The very presense of Mist fills everyone at the assembly with confidence. Off to one side of her is her heavy warhorse, laden in chainmail barding.

By accident, you have travelled the two days to Hazel together and thus gotten to know each other's histories a bit. Professionals only:
[sblock]
Ka'ashawndrah: Two months ago Ka’ashawndrah was mortally wounded and her campanions left her in Rumbol to recuperate. She has now recovered and is ready to go. Unfortunately her campanions left 6 weeks ago. She is wondering what she can do when the message from Hazel arrives. She is sure she can help the people of Hazel.

Mist: Mist has just finished her squire training (2 levels of fighter) and has passed the trial to become a Valkyrie Knight of the Woden Order (1 level paladin). Her Order hears the cry for help from the struggling town mayor and sends her to answer the call. She is eager to prove her worth not only to herself but to Woden as well.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Gray Shade

First Post
The Mayor opens his arms wide when you four townsfolk step forward. He grins and a light glints in his eyes. "Excellent, my townspeople! Come forward! Mingle with the these two professionals who are kind of heart and strong of arm."

The crowd applauds for its heroes-to-be, while the Mayor surreptitiously slips into the group during the clapping to hold aloft one of Lars hands and one of Mists. After the clapping dies down, he turns to all of you and says, “Thank you. From the bottom of this Human’s heart, and the bottom of this town’s heart: Thank you!” He gets a little teary-eyed and has to stop for a moment, then continues. “I’m sure that through teamwork and determination you will put an end to whatever evil haunts that castle and curses our town!” Unsure if he's done with them, the townspeople clap a bit more before the Mayor gives them a wave and they begin to disperse, heading back to their usual duties.

The Mayor speaks to the party again: “Please take a few minutes to say goodbye and finish your preparations. Although we have 6 nights until the next full moon, I still have a sinking feeling that we’re running out of time. Do you have any last questions or requests of me?” He steps back and waits.

Last edited:

Lazlow

First Post
Gray Shade said:
The Mayor opens his arms wide when you four townsfolk step forward. He grins wide and a light glints in his eyes. "Excellent, my townspeople! Come forward! Mingle with the these two professionals who are kind of heart and strong of arm."

The crowd applauds for its heroes-to-be, while the Mayor surreptitiously slips into the group during the clapping, to hold aloft one of Lars hands and one of Mists. After the clapping dies down, he turns to all of you and says, “Thank you. From the bottom of this Human’s heart, and the bottom of this town’s heart: Thank you!” He gets a little teary-eyed and has to stop for a moment, then continues. “I’m sure that through teamwork and determination you will put an end to whatever evil haunts that castle and curses our town!” Unsure if he's done with them, the townspeople clap a bit more before the Mayor gives them a wave and they begin to disperse, heading back to their usual duties.

The Mayor speaks to the party again: “Please take a few minutes to say goodbye and finish your preparations. Although we have 6 full nights until the next full moon, I still have a sinking feeling that we’re running out of time. Do you have any last questions or requests of me?” He steps back and waits.

"Thank you, Mayor," the Padre says with a smile. "No doubt, with our hearty fellow townsfolk and these brave volunteers, we'll get to the bottom of this. Woden's watchful eye protect us."

Turning to the group, he says, "Kind strangers, be strangers no longer. Please, tell us about yourselves before we set off."

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lars proudly smacks the shoulders of Mist and Ka’ashawndrah in greeting and hands them two mugs of the local dwarven ale. He then leans over to peer down at the two of them, eyes alight with warmth.

"Haha! 'Tis mighty fine to thinks that people are good enough in the world to answer a call for help from strangers! It truly warms my heart, it does. Even if one of yea bees an elf, that is ok with me. I've learned I can't believe everything me dwarven uncle Heavyhammer used to tell me about them. Not after risking my neck along with one or two of them by my side, I says!"

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Ah two women. This will make the adventure more... interesting, thinks Dentmus.

"The hand of your niece Sarah perhaps?" Dentmus replies to the Mayor's last request. "Or who do you think snores louder? Grunt or yourself? HA HA HA!" the druid laughs, pointing at the boar.

To the adventurers, Dentmus bows. "I be a man of the wood, and I hopefully shall be of aid on this quest. I also know arts of healing, should either of you ever require... physical aid. Just shout. My hands are skillful," he says, brushing off what appears to be a beetle from his robe as he speaks, seemingly jovial. "Is there some ale for me as well? Should we not celebrate the beginning of a lust... I mean fruitful relationship?" he says to Lars and the others in the party.

G

Guest 11456

Ka’ashawndrah

*The elf raises an eyebrow at Lars' comments. Then she bows to her four new companions.*

"I am Ka'ashawndrah. But please call me Kah. It seems to be easier for many to remember. I am skilled in locks, traps and stealth, among other things. My companions left me in Rumbol to recuperate some two months ago. But alas, they have since moved on. I thought that perhaps my skills could be of use to your town's predicament, so I traveled here with Mist."

*She motions, with a smile, to Mist standing next to her.*

Gray Shade

First Post
The Mayor gives a troubled look to all the ale Lars is drinking and passing out. He looks to the sky and mumbles, "Didn't that sun just rise? No matter, I suppose: drunk or sober as long as they can climb a mountain."

(OOC: everyone seems to be used to the drill, but I'll put this out there anyway: everyone please choose a color for your characater's dialogue and use it everytime your character speaks so it's easier to pick out--Thanks!)

Last edited:

Remove ads