Dark Deeds On White Mountain--Game Thread

Gray Shade

First Post
Description of Hazel

Those of you who live in or near Hazel know all this already. Those of you new to town discovered it all last night after you arrived.

Hazel is a small town, in terms of both population and geography. It has about 45 permanent inhabitants and is about two-hundred-fifty feet across. The mine that the village exists to work produces steadily, if not abundantly. White Mountain seems to give up exactly enough ore to keep the town in existence, and not much more, but the populace is content. The summers are beautiful on the mountainside and the winters more snowy than cold usually. Right now, in early October, the weather is cool, but the grass is still mostly green and the skies are clear blue. Snow is always gathered at the peak of White Mountain (hence its name), and it’s started to move down the sides, but it hasn’t even come near Hazel yet.

The village has a wooden wall about twelve feet tall around three of its sides with a large gate at its front, where a road runs down the mountain to Rumbol. The fourth (back) side of the wall backs against the rock of the mountain with a walkway that runs up over a large (15-foot tall and 20-foot wide) cave that is the opening to the mines. It was from this catwalk that the townspeople all saw the stone tower first appear. Mounted between the catwalk and the stone of the mountain is a wooden gate on pulleys. The gate can be lowered to cover the mouth of the cave when the citizens need to retreat inside during periods of drastically cold weather—a problem they have not had in almost ten years. Most of the time, the gate is up and the longhouses’ fires are enough to keep the people warm.

Inside the town walls, there are seven buildings, and a spacious longhouse that serves as a communal building, temple, and town hall. I’m sure I missed some important buildings—if so they will be added later, but for now, the buildings are:

1. The Grey Goat: A tavern and inn (this is built to cater to the tourist industry in Hazel, right now, it houses the people dislocated from the Longhouse and the professional adventurers). Nickleby the tourist coordinator lives here and owns the establishment.
2. A blacksmith’s shop (where all sorts of metalworking takes place, but mostly items of utility—pick heads, chains, horseshoes, etc.—not so much weapons and armor, but there are some).
3. A woodworker’s shop and dry-goods store (run by the only elf who lives in town, Fenway, and his half-elven wife, Elehandra).
4. A butcher’s shop and smokehouse (run by a butcher, his wife and son).
5. A seamstress and weaver (run by wives of miners).
6. The miners’ longhouse (this is where most of the miners live communally).
7. The mining shack (this is where the mine director works and where supplies are stored—it is back near the mine entrance).
8. The stables (there are various horses and mules here-it is manned by the human horsemen, Hamdur and Gel).

And, the temple of Woden (this longhouse is where The Padre lives and studies along with several of the more devout miners, it also normally serves as town hall, mead hall and home of the Mayor. Now, though, it is inhospitable—magically dark, cold and foreboding—everyone who normally lives there has moved to the miners’ longhouse or the inn (for free, of course), except the Padre who dares live in the darkness).

Last edited:

Gray Shade

First Post
Townspeople going about work

While you are all making your introductions, the miners, mostly Dwarves but a few Humans and a couple half-Orcs, all gather around the mine shack for their daily orders. Once the director’s issued his commands, the miners grab up gear and head under the open gate and into the gaping maw of the mountain.

Since the tower first appeared, the Mayor has ordered a 24-hour watch from the catwalk above the mouth of the cave. You can see a Dwarf pulling that duty now. He reclines on a wooden stool, his feet up on a rocky ledge on the far side of the catwalk, his back leaning on the rail, being the first watch of a new day, he’s obviously not as tense as the wide-eyed, shuddering Dwarf just coming off watch.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: I'm going to try to set up blue as Lars' dialogue color. Also, I sent a typo. Lars should be 6 foot five inches.

Lars smiles as he drinks his breakfast, "*Burp!* Well met! I'm Lars Grimhelm, and if there is anything you needs fixt, I bees the blacksmith for the job. I run the local smithy, named..." He pauses for a touch of drama. "...Lars' Smithy!" The large viking puffs out his chest proudly.

"Was raised by dwarves, I was. I'm half dwarf myself, I feel, except for my height! Har har! Taught me how to use these axes they did, and gave me my helm upon reaching my man year!" He bends down and points excitedly at his horned helm, but quickly frowns and sniffs sadly as he notices that he just tipped out some of his ale.

Fenris

Adventurer
"Greetings to you both Kah and Mist, welcome to out little town. Thank you for coming to help rid us of this curse." says Haakon. "I knew that Rumbol was home to many beautiful women, but to have two of them travel here, is a great privilege for us. I can only hope that though we will be successful, Woden willing, it will take us no little time to rid our little town of it's curse."

Krug

Newshound
Dentmus scowls at Haakon's introduction. Young pup. Pah... .
After Lars says that he's half-dwarf himself, Dentmus adds, "I have heard that's true in at least in another way," he snickers, kicking Grunt the boar in a -do-you-get-the-joke manner who oinks loudly in protest.
He points to Haakon's horn, "That be an interesting... device. Is it an heirloom? Be it like the horn of Heimdall, that shall summon Valhalla's champions and valkryies to slice the enemy into llittle pieces, while we watch and drink mead?" The druid continues snickering.

Fenris

Adventurer
Haakon turns to Rah and Mist, "Don't mind crazy old Dentmus, he's actually a decent fellow when sober. Yep April is good month for old Dentmus. Well once our stoic Brynhild has introduced herself (geez Dentmus your breath has stunned her) perhaps the padre would lead us in a prayer to Woden for success."

Lazlow

First Post
Krug said:
Dentmus scowls at Haakon's introduction. Young pup. Pah... .
After Lars says that he's half-dwarf himself, Dentmus adds, "I have heard that's true in at least in another way," he snickers, kicking Grunt the boar in a -do-you-get-the-joke manner who oinks loudly in protest.
He points to Haakon's horn, "That be an interesting... device. Is it an heirloom? Be it like the horn of Heimdall, that shall summon Valhalla's champions and valkryies to slice the enemy into llittle pieces, while we watch and drink mead?" The druid continues snickering.

"Now, Dentmus," said the Padre reproachfully, "while the All-Father enjoys a good laugh as much as we, his children, let's ensure the jest is made in the right spirit." He gives Haakon a fatherly pat on the back. "Now, young Haakon here has proven himself to be a valuable member of our community." He gives the rest of the group a sidelong glance and says in a low voice, "If only to keep the brewer working...!"

Fenris

Adventurer
Lazlow said:
"Now, Dentmus," said the Padre reproachfully, "while the All-Father enjoys a good laugh as much as we, his children, let's ensure the jest is made in the right spirit." He gives Haakon a fatherly pat on the back. "Now, young Haakon here has proven himself to be a valuable member of our community." He gives the rest of the group a sidelong glance and says in a low voice, "If only to keep the brewer working...!"

The young man laughs loudly "An excellent jest Padre!" slapping the dwarf on the back in turn, "All the better since it was you who gave me my first flagon! Beer truly is a gift from the Allfather, it gladdens hearts and lifts spirits. But we shall have plenty of beer when we reach Valhalla. Right Lars?"

Bloodweaver1

First Post
With a hard look she studies her new company of arms thoroughly, taking care to note their chosen arms and armor. For when the battle starts it will be these very people that she will undoubtedly trust her life with and that they will trust theirs with her. They shall do she thinks to herself.

Whatever soft and plush features she might have had due to her being a female, has long been replaced by hard and sharp muscular curves thanks to her rigorous knightly training. She wears her black hair at shoulder length, where it is short enough not to be a nuisance on the field but long enough to show that she is indeed a Valkyrie Knight. Her skin is well tanned, proving that she is no stranger to being out in the wilderness.

She waits for everyone to make their introductions before taking her turn. Her voice is hard and cool, and is more like that of a seasoned military solider than that of a black haired vixen “The names Mist, and that’s my horse, Thunder.” As she gives a slight head nod towards her large, heavy, warhorse standing a few yards behind her. As she speaks she gives everyone a sincere and genuine look “It will be a pleasure serving on the field of battle with all of you.”

Pausing she finishes by saying “Now that we have all met, lets rid this town of the evil that plagues it. The halls of Valhalla awaits…” She turns to face the Mayor and speaks in the same way as before. But this time she is a bit more direct. “Mayor, how long is the journey to this A’Cursed Castle and what resistance should we expect along the way?”

OOC: Sorry for the delay, should be back on posting once a day now.

Gray Shade

First Post
The Mayor is still a bit joveyal at having all these brave (and inexpensive) sentinels to come forth and protect his town. Especially the woman, Mist, who sobers him when she speaks. His smile fades and he answers in seriousness. "Er, the weather is still nice enough that you can take horses and mules. If you do, you should reach the tower on the nightfall of the second days hard riding, or perhaps the noon of the third day of restful riding. The Padre and any of the locals here can lead the way, but if it follows as usual, the tower will appear tonight as you bed down and you'll see your target clearly in the starlight. As for resistence, normally there is only the steep incline. I haven't allowed anyone to travel out of sight toward the peak since the tower appeared, so there may be other creatures now. The bonethrower warns of the vile creatures from the shaded side of the mountain moving over: Orcs, Goblins, perhaps Shade Trolls. But with the omens, there is no telling what trials you may encounter."

He stands awkwardly for a moment, then motions stiffly in the direction of the stables, "Hamdur and Gel can provide you steeds for the ride if you need them."

(OOC: You're right on time, Bloodweaver!)

Last edited:

Remove ads