Wanna write for the Star Wars live action Show?

Starman said:
Just because the RPG may list a power as a dark side power does not necessarily mean that Lucas considered it a dark side power. Luke did not kill the Gammoreans; he merely distracted them. I wouldn't call his use of the force on the Twi'lek a dominate mind ability so much as a mind trick. As Meloncov pointed out, that has been used several times by other Jedi, so I definitely don't think that was fueled by the dark side.
Except that Lucas HAS come out and said what Luke did in the beginning of RotJ was skirting the Dark Side. :)

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Except that Lucas HAS come out and said what Luke did in the beginning of RotJ was skirting the Dark Side. :)
What the heck was Luke supposed to do, whip out the lightsaber and go to town on them? (BTW, I don't even think he force-choked them; it always looked more to me like he put them to sleep.)

This is the problem I've always had with Jedis - you can stand on your head and see visions or move some boxes around with your mind, but try to get anything positive done with your powers and you're "skirting the Dark Side". You can feel free to chop up all the cannon fodder henchman you want with your fancypants laser sword (just watch the scene on the barge later - Luke throws down big time), just don't wave your hand in front of them and tell them to take a hike. And Yoda will pitch an adobrably mangled hissy fit if you force-choke them, even though the net result is still dead cannon fodder.

Give me D&D magic over the Force anyday. A wizard doesn't have to consider the moral ramifications over every fireball he tosses.

/end hijack

Bounty hunter show? Me like. The Dengar Hour Of Power, baby!

BlackSilver

First Post
Something that I think would be interesting would be- have the moral high ground Jedi hanging out with people that are slightly less then morally high grounded- perhaps smugglers, or bounty hunters.

If you are not going to have a Jedi in something like this, it would be like having a cop show without mystery, it would be boring and lack interest to much of the target audiance.

The Jedi could be there for part of his training- needing to see the slimy under belly, or she's there for an assignment.

John Crichton

First Post
Meloncov said:
Both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon use jedi mind tricks on multiple occasions. I sincerely doubt that it is a dark-side power.
It's not that it was used it's the way it was used. Luke used the Force to order him around and do his bidding. And I know the Jedi are not good (ie not paladins). They are more like sheriffs in the Old West. Obi-wan simply used the mind trick as a distraction. What Luke did was not over the top evil but the path to the dark side starts as a small slip like that. Could you see Obi-wan doing that? Or Yoda? Or Mace Windu?

John Crichton

First Post
BlackSilver said:
Something that I think would be interesting would be- have the moral high ground Jedi hanging out with people that are slightly less then morally high grounded- perhaps smugglers, or bounty hunters.

If you are not going to have a Jedi in something like this, it would be like having a cop show without mystery, it would be boring and lack interest to much of the target audiance.

The Jedi could be there for part of his training- needing to see the slimy under belly, or she's there for an assignment.
See, the problem is that you can't have that many Jedi running around after The Purge. Any Jedi with significant powers will be hunted down by Vader or one of the Emperor's assassins.

We do learn that a few Jedi get away at the end of RotS which is why there is a possibility to have one or two show up from time to time, probably to die. The times we'll see them will be on a planet way out in the Rim or somewhere there is a large presence of the Dark Side so it masks them (which is why Yoda chose Dagobah - the cave). So I'm thinking that a full Jedi as part of the main cast is nearly impossible. That's why they are trying to concentrate on something else cool from that era - bounty hunters. If you can't be a Jedi in the Star Wars universe (or a Sith) then you'd probably want to be Boba Fett or Han.

Forgetting all that - I do think it would be cool to have a Jedi having (or chosing?) to live with the underworld/shady folks. That works for me. :)

John Crichton

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Yeah I know, but then they just sorta slump against the wall. Maybe he choked them just enough to make them pass out. Big whoop.
It's still using the Dark Side. Like I said, he experimented - he didn't turn. Did you notice the all black he was sporting as well? That was one of the less-subtle signs that Luke was starting to walk the line.

John Crichton

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
What the heck was Luke supposed to do, whip out the lightsaber and go to town on them? (BTW, I don't even think he force-choked them; it always looked more to me like he put them to sleep.)

This is the problem I've always had with Jedis - you can stand on your head and see visions or move some boxes around with your mind, but try to get anything positive done with your powers and you're "skirting the Dark Side". You can feel free to chop up all the cannon fodder henchman you want with your fancypants laser sword (just watch the scene on the barge later - Luke throws down big time), just don't wave your hand in front of them and tell them to take a hike. And Yoda will pitch an adobrably mangled hissy fit if you force-choke them, even though the net result is still dead cannon fodder.
And that's why you failed.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Bounty hunter show? Me like. The Dengar Hour Of Power, baby!
LOL! :)

And that's why you failed.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Bah! Who wants to be a Jedi anyway? Always fiddling with your moral compass and consulting with some dumbass holocron to decide whether or not you'll have to change your name to Darth Something if you use your telekinesis to hit the snooze button on your alarm clock. No thanks.

I don't know about you, but everyone I used to play Make Believe Star Wars with fought over who got to be Han Solo. We let the kid no one liked be Luke.

Remove ads