Wanna write for the Star Wars live action Show?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Starman said:
Just because the RPG may list a power as a dark side power does not necessarily mean that Lucas considered it a dark side power.
I think this is an important point. There are several properties out there that have codified various Jedi powers, attaching them to either the Light or Dark Side. Star Wars d20, Knights of the Old Republic for the computer, the various books probably did this as well (though I've only read the first trilogy in the Star Wars library, so I couldn't say for sure.)

I expect the Star Wars TV series to pull its mythology from the movies, and nothing but the movies. Lucas may chime in here and there, but I doubt Lucas himself knows all the ins and outs of the many properties he's green-lighted, and all the things they've said about various powers, etc. The movies, and that's it, is my guess.

Looking at it from that angle, I don't believe any of the "Jedi mind tricks" in the movies are portrayed as evil/Dark Side. Indeed, the only people we ever see use them are Jedi of the Light Side!

The Force Choke we see used by both Jedi and Sith alike. Personally, I don't see this as appreciably different from the Force Push that Jedi seem to use with abandon, including Qui-gon and Yoda. How exactly is it any purer to Force Push someone off a catwalk 100 feet in the air, instead of offing them with the Force Choke?

Indeed, the only power we see used exclusively by the Dark Side is the Force Lightning. Since it's such a potent weapon, it seems reasonable to assume that if the Light Side could use it, they would. So I'd call this one a Sith-only trick.

Regarding Luke in Jabba's Palace, I actually saw this as one of the points in the movie where he's closest to the Light Side. He's just come from his training on Dagobah, and he's as calm and emotionless as he ever will be. His slide toward the Dark Side comes as both Vader and the Emperor begin to manipulate his emotions, drawing out his anger.

The Dark Side isn't about what powers you use. It's about the source of that power. Drawing from a calm serenity is the Light Side. Drawing from rage and hatred is the Dark Side.
John Crichton said:
See, the problem is that you can't have that many Jedi running around after The Purge. Any Jedi with significant powers will be hunted down by Vader or one of the Emperor's assassins.
I disagree. The Star Wars books may have tried to explain why Yoda couldn't be found as a result of the Dark Side cave on Dagobah, but Obi-Wan wandered around on Vader's home planet for decades, and seemed none the worse for wear. For all we know, he was sitting out on his front porch drinking Corellian ale and flipping off the Emperor every day of it. :p There's plenty of precedent for Jedi escaping the Purge.
We do learn that a few Jedi get away at the end of RotS which is why there is a possibility to have one or two show up from time to time, probably to die. The times we'll see them will be on a planet way out in the Rim or somewhere there is a large presence of the Dark Side so it masks them (which is why Yoda chose Dagobah - the cave).
This explanation is part of the books. It may or may not be used by the series, but even so, where was the Dark Side presence on Tattoine?
So I'm thinking that a full Jedi as part of the main cast is nearly impossible. That's why they are trying to concentrate on something else cool from that era - bounty hunters. If you can't be a Jedi in the Star Wars universe (or a Sith) then you'd probably want to be Boba Fett or Han.
That's what the mmorpg Star Wars Galaxies tried to do. "We'll be set in the Empire Strikes Back period, and people can be smugglers or bounty hunters!" And they learned what should be obvious: the overwhelming majority of Star Wars fans would rather be Jedi.

My guess? There's a Jedi in the crew, but only one, and possibly not the leader of the group. Probably a padawan, trying to find his or her way in the absence of a teacher. The main villains of the series will be a Grand Moff and a Jedi Assassin. The Moff will concern himself with wiping out the rebels, while the Assassin will be more interested in the rumors that a Jedi is traveling with this particular group of rebels.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
I don't know about you, but everyone I used to play Make Believe Star Wars with fought over who got to be Han Solo. We let the kid no one liked be Luke.
When we played Make Believe Star Wars, everyone was a Jedi, because everyone wanted to be Luke. Then, completely abandoning any semblance of the Jedi Code, we spent the rest of the game lightsabreing each other to death. :p

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
When we played Make Believe Star Wars, everyone was a Jedi, because everyone wanted to be Luke. Then, completely abandoning any semblance of the Jedi Code, we spent the rest of the game lightsabreing each other to death. :p

What a waste of padawan potential... :lol:

Remove ads