Wish via a Spell-like ability, any limit on XP spent?

Arravis

First Post
A Noble Djinn can grant three Wishes, it doesn't mention that it's a Spell-like ability, but it seems like a reasonable assumption since the Efreeti's wish-granting ability is a spell-like ability. Spell-like abilities do not incur XP costs from the spells they cast. The only limit on creating magical items is that the caster pays double the XP cost of the item, plus the XP cost of the wish. So, could a Noble Djinn create any magical item, regardless of cost? By the rules, is there some sort of limit? How should such a situation be handled? Thanks guys!

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
This paragraph is fuzzy, but it could allow you to rule that wish costs XP for the djinn:

SRD 3.5 said:
Spell-Like Abilities
Some creatures are actually sorcerers of a sort. They cast arcane spells as sorcerers do, using components when required. In fact, an individual creature could have some spell-like abilities and also cast other spells as a sorcerer.

Of course, the effect on the djinn of losing XP is another matter...

But, per RAW, it could in fact create any non-epic magical item without XP cost.

Andargor

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Arravis said:
Ouch, that could easily get out of hand. Any ideas on how to DM this?

Well, the description clearly states:

SRD 3.5 said:
A noble djinni can grant three wishes to any being (nongenies only) who captures it.

So, it can't itself make magical items just for fun. The condition for the wishes are clear.

As for DMing, don't forget that making a wish for something outside the spell's description can be hazardous.

Also, the alignment is CG. So although it can try to twist the words of the wish, it won't do so in a harmful way. But I'm sure an amusing way will be sought, especially for selfish wishes. :)

Remember that ad: "I want to be a baseball pitcher". Well, maybe the djinn will make the character a pitcher of baseballs... for a few rounds. :)

Andargor

Arravis

First Post
andargor said:
As for DMing, don't forget that making a wish for something outside the spell's description can be hazardous.

That's just the thing, it is within the description:
When a wish creates or improves a magic item, you must pay twice the normal XP cost for crafting or improving the item, plus an additional 5,000 XP.

Grogtar

First Post
I find it to be the easy road to go out of your way to try and twist your player's Wish spells.

If you dont think your game can (read : You, the GM) handle Wish then dont let your players catch a Noble Djinn. Or just say at the begining of a campaign "I dont allow the Wish spell in any form"

When I was a new GM I diddnt allow Teleport or Fly, since I diddnt think I could handle htem. Now I can. Grow into Wish if you have to, but dont try and twist your players Wish's for no real reason.

Corbert

Explorer
I played an Efreet in a campaign a couple years ago, and the character made it high enough to cast wish, but it drained 5000 XP each time.

Nim

First Post
andargor said:
Also, the alignment is CG. So although it can try to twist the words of the wish, it won't do so in a harmful way. But I'm sure an amusing way will be sought, especially for selfish wishes. :)

Uh. Because creatures with a Good alignment don't hurt people? Tell it to the paladin.

If someone, say, gambled with a noble djinn and won the wishes fair and square, I imagine he'd not try too hard to misinterpret them. But if you hunt the djinn down, beat him up, throw him in a circle and bind him...you've got to figure he's going to get back at you if he can. After all, someone who kidnaps and imprisons a stranger to extort power out of them is clearly Evil, and why would the djinn want to do them any favors? It's a CG outsider, tied to Air. Think binding it might annoy it a bit? :)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
CyberSpyder said:
Why non-epic?
Because epic is a bizarre line drawn in the sand. Either you're epic, and you can do and use epic things (and pay 10 times the normal price to buy or make them...), or you're not.

Basically epic sucks.

Remove ads