Are mechanics really important to good roleplaying experience?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally find the "creating an interactive story as DM, and roleplaying a character" part much more important than the "wargame" or rolling the dice. I participated in few diceless sessions with a small number of players, and I quite liked it, and when I was a Gamemaster in solo game for my friend, we only threw six sided dices, and i calculated the relevant modifiers, we sometimes didn`t even used any stats.
It was like: "you are an elite warrior facing two average soldiers. You roll D6+2, each of them rolls d6. Higher result means the fighter gained an advantage or injured his opponent. You can describe your moves. I judge the rolls based on tactics and description. Splitting your attacks too much might reduce your roll. Injuries reduce the rolls in next turn, for example light injury will be -1, moderate-2 severe -3. Beating opponent`s roll by one point results in light injury, by three in moderate. But if you are lightly injured, new light injury counts as moderate etc. You need two or three rounds won in the row to defeat an opponent(or one if he is really injured). They need more, since I reduce your injuries by one level."

Although such simple system left almost everything to my interpretation, and my friend`s character rarely died( but it still happened sometimes) we were still having fun. And I didn`t see any reason to roll in social situations, I tried to think how NPC`s would react based on their personality, PC`s behaviour, circumstances, etc. And I could improvise unconstrained to make the game more fun.

Currently my girlfriend is Gamemaster in a solo game I play, and she doesn`t even use dices. The game is combat light, focused more on intrigues, politics and romance. And I can`t say it is lower quality than "standard" RPG`s.

Crothian

First Post
Melkor said:
Currently my girlfriend is Gamemaster in a solo game I play, and she doesn`t even use dices. The game is combat light, focused more on intrigues, politics and romance. And I can`t say it is lower quality than "standard" RPG`s.

Why would it be lower then standard? You have found what some refer to as Narrative gaming. THere are many new if small press games that are really doing a fantstic job with Narrative gaming that may interest you.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's no game so bad that it can't be fun with the right players/GM, and no game so good that the wrong people won't ruin it.

That being said, a mechanic that fits the game can go a long way in enhancing the game experience. It isnt' required, but it is nice to have.

One thing you mention is a good example - you say you don't feel a need ot roll for social situations. That means that implicitly, you have to connect the character's ability with the player's skill, something you don't do for physical actions in a tabletop game. So, what do you do if you run into a player who wants to run a character who is much better than themselves in terms of social skills?

The usual answer for many narravite games is "I just take the character's skill into account". I say that's just another mechanic - mechanics aren't about dice, they're about method of task resolution. And "I take it into account" is as much a mechanic as "roll the dice".

Mallus

Legend
No. The rules aren't the game. So a terrific game --read: campaign-- can be built using all manner of shoddy mechanics.

The best RPG campaign I've ever participated in used 2nd Edition AD&D.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I probably put telling a story/roleplaying on the same level as playing a game. So, to me, the mechanics are very important. I love the sound of those dice hitting the table and waiting to see what comes up. I love telling the players to roll Spot checks and the anticipation they have while they wait to see if they spot whatever it is out there. And, of course, the suspense at rolling a saving throw after the vampire looks into your eyes.

So, for me, taking away the dice is taking away half the fun. I like a good, solid, ruleset. A shoddy ruleset, knowing it is a shoddy ruleset, will be a detrement to me.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Quite frankly, every RPG has some kind of mechanic whether it's heavily codified or fast-and-loose and narrativist. It's quite possible to have all sorts of good RPG campaigns with all sorts of varying mechanics, but I think there's probably a minimum quality of mechanics (either well-written rules, or a GM who is good at applying decent and realistic standards of decision making and so on) necessary to make an RPG function as a good experience.

If you look at the mechanics as the beer you drink with your dinner, all sorts of varying quality and types of beers will work with the food. Some might actually enhance the experience, most won't detract from it too much even if a little weak. But put a pint of sewage in front of you and you'll lose your appetite.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Some mechanics are key - try to imagine playing Call of Cthulhu without the Sanity rules, for instance. Or Cyberpunk 2020 without the Humanity loss from cybernetics. Both are examples of rules that deliver flavor.

Overall, though, its the players and DM that are the most important element.

Remove ads