Are mechanics really important to good roleplaying experience?

Wombat

First Post
I think the mechanics, in general, are less important than the chemistry between the GM and the group playing the game.

Example: I am really not fond of the GURPS system for a variety of reasons. However I participated in a great GURPS-Tekumel game. The campaign ran for a year, we were all satisfied, but none of us (other than the GM) were in the slightest bit interested in picking up the core GURPS rules ever (GURPS supplements are another matter altogether).

I know rules that I love that I have yet to create a succesful game group around (Nobilis, I'm lookin' at you!) and mediocre systems that have led to good, bad, and mediocre campaigns.

If the players and the GM are all in the right space, though, that feeling can overwhelm any problems or marginalities of the system.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If there are no mechanics, you're only a couple of pointy-eared props away from amatuer night at the local community theatre.

I want a game to play. Even if all I do is roll skill checks for most of the adventure (as happened last time I played D&D), I want to use the mechanics, not just extrapolate.

Quasqueton

First Post
Are mechanics really important to good roleplaying experience?
Mechanics are not necessary at all for a good role playing experience.

Good mechanics are vital for a good role playing game experience.

Quasqueton

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Diceless games scare me. I like mechanics.

I like killing things and taking their stuff. I just want to play by a set of rules that tells me there was a risk of dying when I do so. I want it to be objective and not the whim of a DM.

To me, there is a large difference between acting out an interactive story and playing a role playing game.

Crothian

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
I like killing things and taking their stuff. I just want to play by a set of rules that tells me there was a risk of dying when I do so. I want it to be objective and not the whim of a DM.

Actually, there is no reason you can't kill things and take their stuff in diceless. And diceless systems have rules, they just don't use dice. So, it is objective and not at a DM's whim. Well, no more then any other game can.

BryonD

Hero
Quasqueton said:
Mechanics are not necessary at all for a good role playing experience.

Good mechanics are vital for a good role playing game experience.

Quasqueton

This is almost word for word what I was just about to type.
:)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Majoru Oakheart said:
To me, there is a large difference between acting out an interactive story and playing a role playing game.
Not to me, unless you have a misguided concept about "interactive story equals railroading."

Remove ads