Ruins of the Dragon Lord - Review?

Bagpuss

Legend
Can anyone tell me a bit more about the Ruins of the Dragon Lord Boxed set by Mongoose, before I considering shelling out £30 for it?

Mongoose's Website doesn't even tell you the boxes content. You think they would make a better effort to inform their customers if they had something decent to sell.

The only place I've found the contents is listed a Drivethrurpg.

One 64-page and two 128-page rulebooks, containing details for a complete campaign, taking Player Characters from 1st to 20th level. Nine double-sided, A4 maps and a giant, double-sided poster map containing details of over 20 levels of Mount Moru’s dungeon. A double-sided poster, containing a map of the Moru area and a full-size version of the Ruins of the Dragon Lord cover.

which of course is rubbish if you have to print it yourself from a PDF, but several maps sounds good.

Has anyone actually bought this monster and can give me some information on what it's like. Quality of production, story, etc.

Bagpuss

Legend
That was old Mongoose, I've never been disappointed with a Mongoose product myself. But then I've never bought any of their D20 D&D type stuff before, just their 2000AD stuff.

Hmm, hadn't even realized it was out yet. Not a lot of fan fair for it from them I guess.

I hope somebody that has it does repy because i'd love to here about it.

-Ashrum

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Mystery Man said:
It's Mongoose so it will be overpriced, filled with errors and incomplete incounters.
You seem to have missed all the reviews of the Drow War I as well as the revised Conan.

I'd love to hear about Ruins of the Dragon Lord as well.

Crothian

First Post
Bagpuss said:
Can anyone tell me a bit more about the Ruins of the Dragon Lord Boxed set by Mongoose, before I considering shelling out £30 for it?

I own this, what do you want to know? I have not read it from front to back not have I run any of it. But I have read quite a bit, the maps are really easy to comment on as maps are easy to go over. I'm gaming tonight but if you have some quetions I can go over the box set in more detail over the weekend and do what I can to help out.

Bagpuss

Legend
Why is it split into one 64 and two 128 page books? Are they like chapters of the adventure?
What's the quality of these books (art, paper, etc)?

Other than the maps what player handouts are there?

Of the Nine maps are they colour? How many can be actually shared with the players or do they have DM only info on them making them much less useful?

Are there any miniture scale maps/floor plans of key encounter locations?

Does the Dungeon itself have any logic to it or is it just a collection on monsters waiting in rooms to be killed?

Crothian

First Post
I didn't write the books so I have no idea why they choose to divide it as such. But one book covers the area around the mountain, one covers the mountain, and the other mostly covers stories and things.

THe place is a biut site based so it can be like chapters in the advenuter for the two that cover the places mostly

THere doesn't seem to be any player handouts

Maps are color. You can share them with some players, it will dependon if the PCs can play as if they aren't seeing the maps or not. Secret doors are on the maps.

There is one double sided poster map that looks to be mini scale

I haven't read enough of the books to determine the last bit, but what I have read it seems well put together.

Remove ads