Living Supers - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylara

First Post
Removal of tactical movement/combat for one, to get the speed a person moves in a round/move action/double move, you need to do a math formula, not particularly hard, but no where near as user friendly as each rank adding 5 feet. Now, its a progression chart in MPH, and you buy the rank of the power to get an MPH speed and do the formula.

The problem I have with that is that the progression tables (and powers in general) have rather large gaps. Here is an example, each rank of Extended senses multiplies your sense range by 10, default range is 10. First rank, 100 feet, 2nd rank, 1000 feet, etc. What if I only want 500 feet?

Another example, Deflect costs 1 PP a rank if it can only deflect 1 type of ranged attack: (Slow Projectile, Fast Projectile, Energy, Mental), at 2pp a rank it deflects all non-mental attacks, and at 3pp a rank, it deflects everything. Ok, I want to deflect all physical attacks, meaning it must be the 2pp/rank version; However, 2pp a rank buys energy attacks too, if I flaw it to remove energy attacks, its cost is somewhere above 1pp/rank, but below 2pp/rank. Because of the ways its set up, there is a lot of GM FIAT in character creation, determining just how big a cost break any given thing can be.

El Jefe

First Post
Kylara said:
Because of the ways its set up, there is a lot of GM FIAT in character creation, determining just how big a cost break any given thing can be.
I think this sort of thing is just endemic to the superhero genre, and largely judge each new system in the genre on how well it handles this problem. For example, I recall a 1st generation superhero game from a few years back in which it was cheaper to buy flight of a given speed and give it the restriction that the character could only "fly" when his feet were touching the ground than it was to buy running of the same speed. Not only were the game designers not embarrassed by that, but they mentioned in the text that this was a good example of economical use of points in character generation!

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Kylara, I got a general 2nd edition question for you... Can a PL10 character buy 35 ranks in regeneration or is that power limited to the PL of the game? (I cannot find any mention of it being so.)

Kylara

First Post
El Jefe said:
I think this sort of thing is just endemic to the superhero genre, and largely judge each new system in the genre on how well it handles this problem. For example, I recall a 1st generation superhero game from a few years back in which it was cheaper to buy flight of a given speed and give it the restriction that the character could only "fly" when his feet were touching the ground than it was to buy running of the same speed. Not only were the game designers not embarrassed by that, but they mentioned in the text that this was a good example of economical use of points in character generation!

MnM first edition did not suffer from such, at least not that I ever ran into over the campaigns I played in with 1st edition.

Kylara

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
Kylara, I got a general 2nd edition question for you... Can a PL10 character buy 35 ranks in regeneration or is that power limited to the PL of the game? (I cannot find any mention of it being so.)

I take it your referencing the Total Regeneration, and the answer is yes. A PL 10 character can buy up 35 ranks, or more of regeneration. You can buy up as much as you want, but your Recovery Bonus, since it modifies a Constition check would seem to be limited to your PL. Since the DC for recovery checks is 10 regardless, a PL 10 character, if he spends the PP can automatically make the check.

You can buy powers up as high as you like, the only limits on powers is where they specifically hit the PL caps:

Ability Bonuses: PL + 5
Attack Bonus: PL
Attack Saves: PL (affecting opponents)
Defense Bonus: PL
Toughness Save: PL
Saving Throws: PL + 5

so long as a power doesn't hit one of those, you can buy as much as you want. Flight 20 is perfectly fine for example, and gets a person anywhere in the world in a single move action. Telekinesis 20 is fine as well, though if you buy an attack power on it, the attack can never force a save higher then the limit.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Kylara said:
I take it your referencing the Total Regeneration, and the answer is yes.

Yeah, that’s it. I’m trying to convert a character from first edition and I think it’s about the equivalent of first edition PL10 regeneration… One thing about 2nd edition I like that everything has the same DC for recovery (instead of a few 10s and some 20s) but I think the recover DC for all the checks are a little on the low side. (I would probably have gone with a DC: 15)

Thanks for the help. :D

El Jefe

First Post
Kylara said:
MnM first edition did not suffer from such, at least not that I ever ran into over the campaigns I played in with 1st edition.
Well, it wasn't any edition of MnM that I was referring to, but you get the idea. The only bit of MnM 2nd ed that I've seen is the .pdf of the first chapter on the GL website. It wasn't perfect, but it was sufficiently better than many of the other superhero games I've seen to pique my interest.

Bront

The man with the probe
Tonguez said:
Um this may seem dumb

but I don't have access to either MM 1 or 2 (and the nearest shop is now 4 hrs away since the local flgs (2hrs away) closed). However I'd love to participate (as a player) in Living Supers - anyway for that to happen?
Well, if you can get someone to help you create a character online, you can probably participate, otherwise you will likely need the book.

Bront

The man with the probe
Brother Shatterstone said:
Have you all settled on 2nd edition? I have my copy and I must admit I'm less than impressed with it… :\
Building a living campaign on a system that is no longer supported by it's producers with new products just doesn't work well. Being involved in 2 of them on the pencil and paper side (Song of the Sea - a living 7th Seas D10 game (D10 side abandoned a few years ago), and Shadow of the Dragon - a living Dragonquest game(I think the 3rd edition was put out by TSR in 1985 and hasn't been released since)), they are harder to recruit players for. Now, M&M 2 is realy new, so that may hurt us at the start, but it will help in the long run if we hope this will last, and I plan on building this to last.

Velmont

First Post
Ok, what about the trade-off rule. Do we limit it or leave it so it can be used as much as having a 0 somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads