Dragoon's RttToEE IC

nonamazing

Explorer
"Hmm...Strange cloaked men lurking near the town, coupled with the recent disappearances of sheep (the animal in question being a favourite choice for sacrifices), one may begin to surmise the activies of a cult of some sort. Still, there is too little evidence, too little information." Erimel pauses for a moment, lost in thought. "I would like to investigate these occurances, Sir Elmo. Assuming, that is, you have no objection to my doing so?"

"I appeal to the wisdom of this gathering for its aid and counsel. If you would directly aid me in this--all of us working together as companions--then so much the better, but even so, if you are unwilling or unable to do such, I would nevertheless stongly wish to hear both your advice and your opinions."

Erimel stands and begins pacing as he lectures the room. "I see four potential avenues of approach for such an investigation. First, the hobgoblins to which Elmo referred, presumably encamped somewhere to the far north of Hommlet. They may not have a direct connection to these events. But if a dark cult is stirring in these lands, they may try and reach some sort of mercenary agreement with the hobgoblins. We would do well to prevent that."

"Secondly, the mysterious cloaked travellers. We have no soild information as to where these people have been seen, or where they may be now, but we may try and ask questions of the witnesses, and see where that leads us."

"Thirdly, this odd Chatliron that Sir Elmo is wary of--we could speak with him. Such a man may be likely to keep his secrets close to his vest and we may find it difficult to garner any useful information from him."

"And finally," Ermiel says, as he takes his seat once again, "we could simply travel directly to this 'moathouse' of which you have spoken. If it has been a site of dischord in the past, perhaps trouble brews there once again?"

"What say you, assembled travellers? What do you know of events such as these, and the proper ways to pursue such investigations?"

Scotley

Hero
Eglath Goliath Fighter

The big gray man sits as still as the stone he resembles, his chin resting on an upturned palm. Finally, he speaks, "I can't say that I have any special knowledge of the events you describe or any gift for investigation, but if a strong arm and a sharp blade can assist you, then I am your man."

Dragoon

First Post
Elmo looks at all of you and adresses, "While I find it hard to believe that the cult is stirring a third time, it may indeed be prudent to investigate the moathouse to lay rest to any fears that the people of the village may have."

Dim_darknight

First Post
Rurik Dwarf Cleric

I am more than willing to travel to the moathouse,” Rurik turns to face Baran, “but we are going speak to Nem before leaving.

He then responds to Erimel, “If this Chatliron fellow is involved, I have ways of making him speak true should direct questioning be necessary.” He looks skyward briefly, “Praise Heironeous.

Rurik moves to stand next to Ascalante. Giving the bard a cold stare; he speaks softly, “I’m no coward; I’m prepared to meet you head on and face to face. Get in my way and you will see the full horror of my retribution waiting to meet you for all your shallow words and callous deeds. I shall strike you down, you whining dog. I need no one’s help in that."

Rurik then takes a more scholarly approach; hoping to best Ascalante not only by threat of combat but in spoken word as well, “Fool not an unkind word if one truly understands it has a vast number of meanings. Indeed, it is a term that can be used in admiration or as insult. That you chose to take it as a slight, is not my problem.

Last edited:

Castigator

First Post
If this Chatliron fellow is involved, I have ways of making him speak true should direct questioning be necessary.” He looks skyward briefly, “Praise Heironeous.

Compassion indeed, Ascalante thinks to himself. If only your wise and noble ideals held true young Baran, this world would be a better place by far. As Rurik draws close, Ascalante rises with a belligerent smile to meet the Dwarfs new challenge.

It appears that I have after all, truly made myself a Fool.” the elderly Bard offers Rurik with a mocking bow “If only by trusting the kind and soothing words of friends and strangers in your favour and doubting my own judgement.”

I shall indeed have need to reflect on this. And pray that I may gain wisdom from all that has passed this morning.”
He quietly adds with a mournful note, taking a quick glance at Baran and the rest of the assembled travellers.

But twice this morning you have threatened me Priest Rurik, and challenged me to violence. So this time you’d better stand to all your yapping, or you’ll prove yourself the Coward, as I have proven myself the Fool.”
Only now do you notice Ascalantes swordhand resting casually on the colourfully stitched hilt of his notched weapon.

nonamazing

Explorer
"Truly this is a bleak day for all of us," Erimel intones, "when two of our number have fallen to evil before our work together has even begun."

The angular elf stands. "Yes, I said Evil...and truer words were never meant. For what is evil, if not unreasoning hate and uncontrolled anger? In pursuit of your rage, you take the first steps down a long, dark path. Is that, in truth, what what you really want?"

"Ask yourself, Rurik: do you truly stand in the virtue of Heironeous at the moment? Yes, your pride is important, holy champion, but at what cost? Would you give up all that you have earned to avenge a half-insult from a stranger? More telling, would you let this argument put the entire town and all of these innocent people at risk?--for if there is a danger threatening this town, then you make it stronger by directing your anger toward an irrelevant target."

Erimel motions a hand toward Ascalante. "And you, teller-of-tales--do you not see where this story leads? It is a tale told a thousand times, and moreover, it is boring. I believe that your words have the power to end this hatred, to start to tell a different story. I cannot ask the two of you to be friends--certainly you both have chose to walk very different paths--but I can plead with you to see that there is a greater need for each of you."

Erimel has a look of profound sadness in his eyes. "I do not believe that it is your destiny to die here, or to become a murderer here. See with unclouded eyes the evil that grips your hearts--the selfishness and hatred that led to my father's own death--and reject it. For all our sakes!"

Scotley

Hero
Eglath

Hearing Erimel's words, Eglath is clearly moved. He rises and pounds the floor with the haft of his axe making a booming sound that rattles crockery throughout the place. "Hear hear, most wise counsel. Please take heed to his words and find a way to put this evil behind you." With that he fixes both man and dwarf with a hard stare and takes his seat.

Terraism

Explorer
Laumus, having sat quietly listening for much of the exchange, soaking up the information from Elmo and trying to piece together from scattered fragments what might be up, pipes up to offer his skill in investigating, but is drowned out by the quarrel, instinctually drawing away from a confrontation. When Erimel and Eglath speak, however, he nods agreement. "The e--Erimel is right. He may be a little, erm... dramatic," he points out, with a quick look in Erimel's direction, and then hurries on, "but fighting between each other isn't likely to be productive in any sense, either for the town or ourselves."

Last edited:

Dragoon

First Post
Elmo looks puzzled by the excahnge between the party, "Gods, the way you bicker and banter about as young noble ladies at a finishing school dance as to who will win the favor of the cute young knight in attendence. Furthermore any bloodshed in my town and you spend a month doing hard labor at the quarry. Honestly, I don't think you should attempt the moathouse, you will be killed as you argue outside the gates. GODS, enough!" With that Elmo slams his fist into the table with a loud thud.

Dim_darknight

First Post
That’s it,” Rurik sighes, “we will resolve this matter with a match of Press, an ancient and noble game.” He looks to Elmo, “No bloodshed there.

Well, teller of tales, how about it?” Rurik extends his hand.

--------
OOC: Thumb Wrestling!? My best response!?
Assuming Ascalante accepts, this will likely end in a draw and truce which both will both want, because after 5 minutes of dueling, they’ll be sick of holding each other’s hand.

Remove ads