Tomb of Horrors

Thomas Percy

First Post
I have read "Tomb of Horrors" free WotC Halloween adventure.
For all Faerun gods' sake! What a slaughterhouse!
It's a certain death for every hero irrespective of level and number of rogues in a fellowship!
The designer of this adventure is mad.

A question:
Is there anybody who completed and survived this adventure?

Crothian

First Post
Ya, lots of people have. I've ran the module a few times and smart players get through. Players that pay attention get through. Players that just act do not. I like this module. :D

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The Tome of Horrors has a long and respected history of being an utter meatgrinder. That is the idea. That said, there are those who have survived it, by being very suspicious and very careful.

Demiurge out.

spectre72

First Post
The conversion is nothing compared to the original.

We have nicknamed the converted one "The Tomb of some somewhat bad stuff" :heh:

The original had no freeking saves, and ate characters by the group.

I ran a 3.5 conversion at a convention last year and a large number of deaths happened before they even got past the entry rooms and found the real dungeon.

So yes it is still bad, but I think the conversion tried to balance the Tomb for 9th level players which IMHO is bad.

Scott

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Well, I should be running the new conversion next week for a group of 9th-level characters (assuming all goes well), so I'll post some in-game reports afterwards. I ran the original years ago and it chewed the party up and spat them out - I'm looking forward to seeing how the new version compares :]

Quickbeam

Explorer
Many years ago, my gaming group went through the original Tomb of Horrors...and two of the party members even managed to survive without being Raised, Resurrected or Wished back from some extraplanar abyssal doom.

I haven't really waded through the conversion, but if folks approach this adventure with a cautious, problem-solving mindset and can manage a bit of luck, they'll survive.

I know I've regaled people with this tale before but one of my favorite D&D moments was playing Tomb of Horrors A party of thirteen had entered the hall and lost most of the party to two back to back traps (including our 3 clerics and our only paladin). The party was down to just three of us, me, a thief (who had at this point remained MOSTLY unscathed) , my cousin (David) a wizard (who was down to 3 HP), and another cousin (Jake) who was playing a fighter (6 hp left). The conversation went something like this:

David: HOLY @#$*!!! What the %$*& just happened!
Jake: OK, that was SOOO uncool!
David: That's it, I'm staying here until I heal up!
Jake: I don't know, I think we should leave.
Me: Guys, I don't think we can it back out. :D

I've seen the chat with Col Pladoh where EGG stated that they didn't lose that many folks. Well my hats off to them! We did, and I loved every second (emphasis on the time :eek: ) of it!
eusa_clap.gif

Remove ads