Who wants to be a Wayfinder? Part 1

jkason

First Post
Bront said:
OOC: I'm still catching up. Anyone want to give me a brief rundown after Johan took care of Jaron's body?

OOC: Whisper took the group to an artist she thought knew more than he was willing to admit in public, where we "sponsored" him to finish a painting that seemed to depict the sinking of the ship we're looking for. From a cryptic note he left with the painting, we figured out that casting Light revealed a secret map in the painting. We made a copy of that, took it to a local cartographer, and found out the location it depicted. Then we negotiated with a local captain to take us there, and once we're supplied / familiared / companioned, we're making the trek out there.

I think that covers it. Anyone want to supplement?

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

As he leaves his more social companions to negotiate with House Tharask for more supplies, Midian rides Talbot to the edge of town, near the shoreline.

"Friend, you have been a true and loyal companion, but I fear this journey is not for you," he says. Bringing his head to meet the horse's, he whispers, "Know that I plan to return for you, but it's not fair to you to keep you bound to me, Talbot. Here, for what I hope is only a short time, we must separate."

Taking the bedroll and saddle off the horse, Midian places a hand on Talbot's shoulder, then releases the mental link between them, allowing Talbot to wander off on his own. When the horse has left or stopped to graze, or in general settled into the change, Midian moves to a secluded spot on the shoreline. He scrawls a circle in the sand and sits cross-legged in its center. Holding holly and mistletoe in his hands, he closes his eyes, opening himself up to the world around him, calling out throughout the day until he feels a response. As the sun sets and the stars catch fire, Midian weaves unseen strands to form a new mental tether.

As the sun rises, Midian smiles, wading out into the surf. When the water has reached his neck, he feels tendrils slip past his legs. The contact secures the last of the link. Midian looks down to see the undulating form of a squid circling him.

"Well met, Seeqir," he whispers to his new animal companion.

[sblock]Added stats for a squid companion to Midian's character sheet. Since we only have a few days, he'll only have his bonus tricks for now (how long will the journey be? I might be able to make a Handle Animal check to teach him another depending on that). Assume after summoning him that Midian shortly thereafter returns to the others, leaving the squid to mill about the shallows until the ship's underway.[/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: Cool, that makes sense, I'll have an idea of what Johan wants to do in just a bit once I sort through wealth and such.

Bront

The man with the probe
[sblock=OOC]Ok, Johan will buy a Chain Shirt because, well, it's easier to swim in, but beyond that, he's all ready and such. Any XP I need to add? If I don't get any for the absentee time, no biggie.

Of course, I don't even know how much XP I have at the moment beyond being 3rd level :eek: were we at 3000 exactly?

As for underwater, Johan will see if his house connections will let him aquire some potions that might help for free/cheep. Free action, water breathing, love potions to slip the girls, skimpy bathing suits for the girls, that kind of thing.[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The next two days pass in a flurry of activity. At the Tharask Enclave, Creidan listens carefully to your reports on what has happened thus far and where you are headed. When you tell him about who supplied you with the map, he seems unsurprised and doesn't make any comment on the wisdom of basing an expensive expedition on a street entertainer. In fact, after hearing your conclusions, and some sweet talking from Seria and Whisper, he agrees to supply the funds needed for the travel expenses. Any additional supplies however, he says you will be purchasing on your own. He reminds you to bring back any of Oallie's belongings, the captains log books if they're still intact, and any evidence as to what happened to the ship. Meanwhile, Johan spends some time at his House Enclave to be fitted for some new armor better suited to sea travel. Midian spends a day saying farewell to Talbot and then seeking his new companion out in the reefs. The group spends the rest of their time gathering their possessions and making last minute purchases. The scrolls and potions are easily found and seem to be fairly popular purchases due to the number in stock.

Johan
[SBLOCK]
While visiting your House, the official who helped you before asks a few questions about your destination. He tells you that he knows you are currently working with House Tharask and mentions that House Deneith is very interested in knowing more about the expedition when you return. He hints at a monetary reward for anything useful you can bring back to him.
[/SBLOCK]

Captain Fairwright and her crew have been hard at work during the two days. Massive casks of water, crates of salted pork, and sacks of dried goods are carried up the gangway and loaded into the cargo hold. They also cleared the stern of the ship to make way for a massive diving bell and the cable drum to lower it. At the front and rear of the ship are two newly mounted ballista with their massive ammo strapped down nearby. Captain Fairwright welcomes you on board when you arrive and shows you to your quarters. Johan and Midian she leads down below to the crew section where several hammocks have been slung. It's a little cramped as they are sharing the space with 8 other crew and the cargo. The captain does however provide you with a lockable sea chest to store your belongings. Seria and Whisper are given a tiny cabin at the stern of the ship, formally the first mates room who had to give it up so that the woman need not bunk down below with the men. When everyone is aboard and all the supplies made secure, the Captain orders the anchor raised. The crew put out four long oars and begin maneuvering the ship out of the busy harbor. When they reach open water the crew pulls in the oars and raise the sails. The Stalwart Mariner leaps forward as it catches a brisk morning breeze and you begin your long voyage to the Tempest Straits.

OOC
[SBLOCK]
Your ship is a Pinnace, from the Stormwrack book for those that have it. It is 30' long by 15' wide and has two masts front and back. There are two light ballistas also front and rear. To operate those requires several strength checks to arm and re-cock the firing mechanism. There is a single set of stairs leading below on the starboard side near the center of the ship.

I'll figure out XP shortly and have it ready for the next post. For now you are all right at 3rd level.
[/SBLOCK]

Mista Collins

First Post
Intrigued with sea travel, Seria spends much of her time above deck enjoying the nice breeze and the open water. She often sits down on the deck out of the way of the crew, scribbling notes about their travels thus far and about the workings of the ship on a few pieces of parchment from her backpack.

Bront

The man with the probe
Johan will chat with the Sailors and swap stories with them. Perhaps cosy up with a lovely sailorette if he can, and listen to stories of the sea and this particular route. If he can learn anything interesting, even better.

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

[sblock=OOC]So, guys, do we know how many scrolls of water breathing we want to get?[/sblock]

Midian spends much of his time on the deck, watching the water stream by the side of the ship. He knows he won't see Seeqir; as soon as the ship made it into deep water, he felt the relief of his new companion as it sank out of the brighter water at the top. Bound or not, Midian knows it's in the creature's nature to stay deep rather than shallow. Of course, that's part of why he called to him, as the druid has no doubt a creature familiar with the deep will be helpful where the party is going.

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper spent a day locked in her room, while unsettling noises and odors seeped out from the edges around the door. She then emerged with a largish raven perched on her shoulder, peering alertly about in the manner of birds everywhere. She introduced the bird as Midnight, her new familiar.

On ship, the two are surprisingly rarely together. Rather, the bird often flutters around, landing on this strut, on that rope, on the other bit of railing. Every so often it returns to Whisper and mutters in her ear...a little creepy, but Whisper seems delighted by her new set of eyes. She does meet with the others to listen to them plan, but rarely says much...she seems fine with what's been discussed so far, and hasn't much to add just yet.

Remove ads