Who wants to be a Wayfinder? Part 1

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC
[SBLOCK]
Well I read up on the favored in house feat again and until you hit 4th you can only use it once a week for a loan of equipment. You used it when you arrived in town for some heavy armor. What I can do with it though is give you a 10% discount on scrolls you buy through your house.

Looking back over my notes, there was also a bounty for the assassin the party killed for 400gp. The cash was dropped off before you headed out to the map shop.
[/SBLOCK]

The ship makes good progress for the first four days with a strong wind filling its sail. On the fifth day the wind dies down to a fitful breeze but still strong enough to move you along. The sailors are constantly adjusting the sails to pick up every last bit of wind. In the late afternoon as the sun begins to dip towards the horizon one of the sailors calls out that he's spotted something off the port in the water. As the ship draws closer you start to see debris in the water. Bits of broken wood, tangled nets attached to air bladders, and other unidentifiable pieces. Farther ahead a small boat lies half submerged in the water, leaned over on one side. You're still a week and a half out from the spot on your map, and this ship looks much smaller than that one. The captain orders your ship in for a closer look.

The ruined ship looks like it was attacked from the sides and below. There is a large hole nearly 5' across in the hull and there are other large V-shaped notches broken out of the side rails. Some parts of the wood show charred marks from a fire. From here you don't see any bodies but the cargo hold looks partially intact.

Shayuri

First Post
Looking at the wreckage, Whisper comments to Midian, "I would recommend keeping your new companion close...can you communicate with it telepathically, as with a familiar? A beast like that would be very useful, should we fall under attack."

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: Cool, wasn't sure it was that close, that's why I asked :)

"No bodies and all the cargo? Seems strange. Certaintly not done by raiders." Johan says.

Shayuri

First Post
"I'd say whatever did this was hungry for flesh, not riches," Whisper comments dryly.

"Let's check the wreckage for signs of what happened."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Shayuri said:
Looking at the wreckage, Whisper comments to Midian, "I would recommend keeping your new companion close...can you communicate with it telepathically, as with a familiar? A beast like that would be very useful, should we fall under attack."

Midian shakes his head, frowning at the destruction.

"I get vague empathic impressions sometimes--that's how I knew there was trouble outside with Talbot--but my link to Seeqir isn't as intimate as I understand a familiar's is. And I haven't had as much time to teach him what Talbot knew. But he'll defend us if need be, and I have spells that will let me speak with him if it comes down to it."

Midian looks to the water, questing about for the squid he so recently bonded with. Should trouble come on the water, he's sure Whisper's right that an aquatic helping hand or eight would be quite a boon.

"I'd say whatever did this was hungry for flesh, not riches," Whisper comments dryly.

"Let's check the wreckage for signs of what happened."

"I'd agree. But let's be careful."

[sblock=OOC]Is there a small skiff of some sort we can take to check the wreckage?

Also, guys, any votes for how many water breathing scrolls we want at the discounted price? We might be needing one soon. ;)[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Ooc

OOC: Speaking of tricks, is it possible to train Midian's squid as we travel (assuming it takes at least a week to get where we're going, obviously)?

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The Captain calls out an order and the sailors quickly get to work deploying a small launch to take you over to the ruined ship. Once the launch is in the water the sailors help lower you down over the railings and onto the boat. Captain Fairwright calls down to you and asks that you bring back anything of value that can be salvaged as well as the ships logs if they can be found.
One of the sailors clambers down the side of the ship and seats himself on the rowers bench to pilot you over. As you get closer you can see just how badly damaged the ship is. The single large hole in the bottom was likely the killing blow to this vessel. The late afternoon sun does little to reveal the inside of the hull but you can make out the outlines of crates and a tangle of rotting sailcloth. At the top of the ship you can see the mast is a broken, tangled mess of sails and ropes. The sailor with you observes that the sails were likely raised at the time the ship was taken down. The wood around the railing is notched and scarred from weapons, or a more chillingly possibility, teeth. There is a hatch leading to the stairs below decks on the upper part of the sloping deck that is only partially submerged. The large hole in the hull is another entryway to gain access to the cargo hold.

ooc
[SBLOCK]
I think you could train him on some simple tricks while traveling. I can picture you hanging targets off the side of the ship and getting him to attack them, or other things like that.
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
"Up, Midnight," Whisper urges to the bird perched on her shoulder. "To the top of the mast and keep watch. Cry warning if you see other ships coming this way. Or...if you see any shapes under the water..."

The raven fluffs its wings and croaks, "What do I look like, a falcon? Long distance viewing...eh. Not really my thing."

"Is swimming your thing?"

The raven pauses, then mutters, "Good point," as it flaps up to the top of the Stalwart Mariner to keep watch and (mostly) to stay out of trouble.

Whisper then peers over the railing at the wrecked ship. "Do we have enough potions and scrolls for this? I'd hate to investigate here, only to find we lack the resources to properly investigate our true goal."

Remove ads