Star Wars - DRK-1X and its Mistress

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Four nods in agreement. "I do hope you're right, DRK-1X. If we can get in and out undetected, it will make things so much easier. The only problem I see with your plan is the part about attempting to hide this vessel inside the main hold of the freighter. It would never get past the sensor net. Unless they aren't using standard Imperial protocol, the moment the ship enters the sensor net area, its contents will be scanned, along with a confirmation code of its exact mass. If anything is out of the ordinary, there will be trouble. I'm sure you're quite able to adjust the freighter's systems to compensate, but not each and every Imperial ship that we'll encounter in the net. Unless you can somehow hide this thing from scanners, we'll need a better plan."

As she speaks Four stands, as much as she can in the cramped quarters, and moves to the navicomputer, punching in a few numbers.

"Hurven Seven. It's not on any standard starcharts anymore, but it is still in use by many factions. At least until recently. Now it has been taken over by the Empire. They've infiltrated just about everything there. We'll have to be careful. Unless.... no, nevermind. We'll just be careful. If we go now, we should arrive an entire day before the first ship arrives."

Four returns to her seat on the floor.

Ambrus

Explorer
Once he hears a confirmation of the new destination, Derek deftly manipulates the control console in front of him, bringing the Ari's Sorrow out of hyperspace. The streaks of light outside the viewport shrink until they are reduced to a simple static starscape with no nearby celestial bodies to obscure the view. While the probot and cyborg continue their audible discussion, the human replica droid accesses the navigational computer through its console and deftly begins punching keys, quickly running through the computations and variables necessary to execute their next hyperspace jump (Astrogation +4, taking 20).

DRK-1X follows Derek's work through its peripheral sensors while continuing to converse faceplate to face with Four. "Statement of fact: Our ability to acquire a vessel in which to flee once we're within the cluster is a uncertainty which severely undermines our chances of success. I'd rather not take that risk if at all avoidable. Inquiry: Do you have any suggestions for getting this vessel past the sensor net?"[Sblock=OOC]What is Derek's E.T.A. to Hurven Seven?

I'm simply guessing about how sensor systems work in your game. Can sensors really distinguish between thousands of tons of metal rich ore and a powered down fighter? Can sensors tell the difference between an asteroid and a powered down ship adrift? Would a fighter stuck to the super-structure of a massive freighter be distinguishable to sensors? Seeing how Han hid the Millennium Falcon by sticking it to the backside of a Star Destroyer I would have though sensors in SW weren't that discriminating.

Knowing what it knows about sensors and how to hide from them
(Hide +22, Knowledge (technology) +8) can DRK-1X think of some way to thwart or fool the empire's sensor net? 1X itself has extensive sensor defeating programming as well as a sensor dampening shell built into it; maybe some of that technology could be used in part to help hide the Ari's Sorrow.[/Sblock]

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Four thinks for a moment. It seems as if she's doing some sort of calculations, as her fingers play at counting. Before long, she shrugs. "I agree with you DRK-1X. I really do. I'd much rather have insurance that we have a solid escape route. But even if we could get the ship inside the ore hold, those sensor nets will be able to tell the difference between raw durbydium ore and the durasteel that makes up the hull of this and just about any other spacecraft. Unless you can somehow find a way to make this ship read as raw durbydium and not what it actually is or that it is a relevant part of the freigh...." She stops, her eyes widened, a typical human response of shock or sudden insight. "That's it! How good are you at fixing starships?"

While Four is speaking, Derek lets you know that he has calculated that the trip will take approximately 19 hours to complete. If Four's records are accurate, it means that you will have a little over 24 standard hours to accomplish what you need to once you reach Hurven Seven.

[sblock=OOC]I was wondering when you were going to bring that up.... Han was actually inside the minimal range band of those sensors, and since the other ships were already hypering out, they didn't get a chance to detect him either. This is why I said that it will be easy to hide your ship from the freighter, especially if it is attached. The sensor net (Four will tell X what she knows about it) is a series of satellites that are tied to four central control ships. These ships are equipped with the most advanced sensor arrays the Empire can muster. Which also means they have no guns for protection, but if Four's theories are correct, that has been compensated for by the presence of other well-armed ships, the Repulse included.

Now normally, you would be right, a standard passive scan is about as good as determining the direction of where sound is coming from by covering both ears. A focused scan however, is quite capable of determining the difference between the two. Especially in a dedicated system. Now X knows that it is very possible to fool sensors into not seeing something or even seeing something entirely different. It would be difficult, but possible. In fact, X knows that it would be possible to manufacture more stealth plating for itself or other smaller things, given the right resources. But to put the same capabilities on a fighter craft would require even more resources than are currently available and perhaps a little Starship Engineering. Now one of the 'tricks of the trade' that smugglers use oftimes is altering a ship's ID-Code. One of the first things a scanner looks for is that code. It identifies the name, make, model and owner of any ship that enters its domain. Smugglers would 'borrow' other codes or even make them up to be even more risky and replace the originals with the new false ones, to give false readings. Especially to passive scanners. Han Solo was will be notorious for having multiple such signatures for use on his vessel at anytime.

As a little bit of GM to Player insight, you are going along the right track of how to hide the Ari's Sorrow on the freighter, but Four has an idea that just might give you what you need...[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
In response to Four's question, DRK-1X pivots 90º sideways and taps a storage compartment open button with the tip of its antenna before righting itself. With a moment's thought the probot issues a command via its integrated caller, calling forth the twin repair remotes from their resting area. Within seconds the two tiny spheres begin orbiting the slightly larger 1X, giving the three droids the appearance of a large animated helium atom. "Report: Though not my primary function, I am nonetheless capable of executing starship repairs and modifications. Also, I have recently augmented my technical capabilities by the creation and use of these two repair remotes. Inquiry: Why do you ask?"

Meanwhile, Derek finishes executing a series of hyperspace transit simulations both mentally and through the navigational computer. Once satisfied that his astrogation computations are sufficiently accurate, the human replica droid inputs the final commands with a few dexterous keystrokes before swiveling around in the pilot's chair to address 1X and Four. "Ready yourselves for the jump to hyperspace. Our E.T.A. to Hurven Seven will be approximately nineteen hours." Unconcerned with the floating droids, Derek waits until Four signals that she is ready before swiveling back around and and activating the hyperdrive engines once more.
[sblock=OOC]Couldn't quite follow all of what you said, though I'm glad at least one of us understands SW sensors. :confused: [/sblock]

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Heh. I thought that would throw you a bit. I tried to make it as streamlined as possible...

"Remember that I said the freighter consists of a bridge, an engine pod and a spine that connects the two? What I'm about to suggest would be risky and we would definitely have to get it done fast, but it could work. Once the freighter leaves orbit and heads towards the point at which it will jump, we will have less than an hour to accomplish it. The main fuselage of this ship is nearly identical in size to that of the spine of the freighter. If we cut a piece off long enough to fit this ship inside the hole it will make, we should look like another part of the freighter. Even with this thing's wings. That's the simple part."

"The hard part is going to be making sure the freighter knows nothing about it. That will require you slicing their sensors and making everything look nominal while in reality, they will be losing air pressure temporarily until we reconnect the conduits to run through our ship. Now luckily, the strut and spine system is modular. What that means though is that once we disconnect the spine from the struts, we'll have to connect the wings of this thing to the struts. Then we'll have to setup a quick release system so your pilot can simply press a button and we can jettison out of there when necessary. All that in less than an hour."

"It's crazy, I know. But it's all I got. At least, all that I can count on at the moment. There is someone on Hurven Seven that has no love for the Empire, but he has not much love for anyone else either. If anyone knows of another way, it would be him. Finding him is easy, getting him to talk to us would be difficult. Otherwise, I would have mentioned it before."

Four lets Derek know that she is ready for the jump by nodding after she straps in.

Ambrus

Explorer
DRK-1X and Derek exchange their thoughts concerning the feasibility of Four's idea. Even the simplest of the virtual simulations that the two droids conduct mentally brings several daunting gaps in the woman's plan to the fore. The probot says as much out loud. "Report: There appear to be many significant problems with your plan that I fail to see how we could easily overcome. Both I and these remotes' repulsorlift engines will not operate in the microgravity environment outside of a natural or artificial gravity well. We would be limited to maneuvering about the spine supports of the freighter manually, which would severely limit our ability to conduct the operation. Also, this Kimogila class heavy fighter has a beam length of approximately 16 meters which would naturally require us to remove a section of the freighter's spine of an equivalent length. Even assuming that we could successfully manage to cut through all of the support struts in time, we would nonetheless be required to somehow pull away and discard the 16 meter length of struts from the freighter's superstructure before we could dock this vessel. Neither I nor these repair modules have the physical ability to move such a large mass even in microgravity. Without access to a a tractor beam, affixable mini-thrusters or heavy labour droids to physically move the 16 meter module we'd be limited to physically affixing this vessel to the module to tow it clear somehow.

Conjecture: However it is all done, it seems clear to me that it is, at a minimum, a three person endeavour. One person must remain sliced into the freighter's computer core throughout the operation to ensure that all sensor readouts are monitored and doctored as necessary to avoid raising any alarms. Another person must remain aboard this vessel to pilot it while a third person is on the freighter's hull conducting the necessary work.

Conclusion: Although the idea yet remains conceivable, my initial analysis reveals that the chances of completing the operation successfully in the time allotted and without being detected remains rather remote.

Inquiry: What is this resident of Hurven Seven occupation and how is it you believe he could help us? Would he be willing to help us in exchange for goods or credits?"
[sblock=OOC]Is Four's plan at all feasible? It sounds crazy to me. Tearing out a section of the ship's spine would seem to be a major operation; the kind of thing you'd need to do in a space-dock with a team of engineers and technicians armed with heavy fusion cutters and giant manipulator cranes over several hours or days. Doing it with a few people, in an hour, with less-than-ideal tools while in transit and trying to avoid detection sounds rather preposterous. It also seems to me that pulling out the spine of a cargo freighter while it's moving would lead to a large scale structural collapse. I'm wondering if 1X shouldn't try slapping Four for daring to propose the idea.[/sblock]

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
The woman thinks for a minute, the hope draining from her face. "I told you it was crazy. I don't even know why I thought of it. You are right though, we will need a reliable exit and I highly doubt that we will be leaving on the same ship that we came in on." She sighs. "I didn't want to bring him up, for more reasons than I stated, but I suppose it's too late to retract the offer. If he has a name, he doesn't use it. He also doesn't deal in credits or goods, though how he does so well without it, I can only guess. What he does deal in is information. The more, the better. He can also acquire things that are otherwise unavailable and he has a knack for finding things thought long lost. Rumor has it he was a Jedi a long time ago, but I have yet to see anything indicating him as such. Either way, he is good at what he does, but if we do get a chance to talk to him directly, I suggest not taking what he says at face value. He won't lie though. Not directly at least."

Four eyes are downcast, as if trying to read something in her mind. "He's been living on Hurven Seven for as long as anyone can remember. The Empire is aware of him, but I'm sure he is quite aware of them to. What their official stance on him is, I don't know. I don't think he would sell us out to them, but I wouldn't bet money on it either. It's up to you, but unless we plan on stealing another ship from the cluster, find a better way to hide this one or you have some other friends that can help, we're stuck."

[sblock=OOC]No, her plan is as crazy as it sounds. Four is desperate at this point and seems to be speaking nonsense.... As for slapping her, please do. It might knock some sense into a slowly advancing hysterical state....[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
Derek, with access to his superior organic being physiology programming, transmits its opinion to DRK-1X that Four is displaying increasing irrationality, possibly due to the stress of her apprehension followed by 1X's interrogation. Concurring with the humanoid replica droid's conclusion, 1X agrees to discontinue its conversation with the tired woman. "Statement of intent: I will consider the matter at length. Perhaps we will attempt to contact this individual once we arrive at our destination. Statement of fact: We have many hours left in transit. Suggestion: Perhaps you should attempt to consume some more foodstuffs and try to sleep. We can continue speaking later. Conjecture: You will have much to do once we arrive. Statement of intent: We will attempt to make you as comfortable as possible while not disturbing your rest."

The diminutive probot will dismiss the twin repair remotes to their storage compartment while reclosing the hatch cover with a deployed arm. 1X will then retract its arm and antenna back into its chassis, resuming its clean spherical appearance. Derek will key the cabin light controls if he sees that Four seems disposed towards trying to sleep. Once the woman seems comfortable DRK-1X and Derek will enter a period of intense conversation, discussing possible options and plans.[sblock=OOC]So now that we've determined that Four's plan is a bust, can Derek or 1X come up with any better method for beating an imperial sensor net? With 1X slicing the freighter's computer core it isn't too worried about it detecting the Ari's Sorrow; perhaps Derek can trail the freighter in a blind spot until it gets close enough to the sensor net to break away to attempt its own entry. When the freighter shows up all of the satellites in the area will have to refocus their sensors on it to conduct their directed scans; maybe that would give the Sorrow the opportunity to drift through the opening left by the redirected satellites to slip through the net undetected. Perhaps it'd be possible for Derek and 1X to project their own course into the cluster based on the many scans they've taken of this area on their way to the asteroid base. You've got to help me out here; I don't know what is feasible technology-wise.[/sblock]

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Four nods, almost robotically, as if her weariness had finally taken its toll. She attempts to make herself comfortable on the hard deck, but it does't seem to weigh on her ability to sleep, which she passes into quite easily. Then Derek and X fall into conversing about a plan to get them past the sensor net undetected.

[sblock=OOC]
Well, you pretty much picked it up there. The satellites will be focused on the freighter as it enters the sensor net. As that happens, a planned new route through the net and back into the freighters shadow as it approaches the processing station. The only thing you will have to worry about is the nearest control ship's passive sensors picking up the Ari. Luckily, the sensor techs will be more interested in the freighter than a random signal.

Once Derek pilots the ship back into the freighter's shadow when it passes the net's scan, the only thing you'll have to worry about is a random fighter patrol actually visually picking it up. This is where Derek's piloting ability will be tested. Of course, during all this, X will have to doctor the freighter's sensors so as to not pick up the Ari flying around it. Then there is what Derek will do to hide the ship while waiting for you and Four to finish your mission...
[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
DRK-1X and Derek continue to refine their plan over the next few hours. Without much tangible data to work with aside from Four's handful of facts and guesses, they turn their attention towards attempting to anticipate as many infiltration scenarios as possible along with appropriate actions to take in order to succeed. DRK-1X will use its knowledge of sensor technology and the astrogation data they've accumulated to estimate the number of satellites necessary to support an effective sensor net and then begin trying to anticipate the most likely deployment of the satellites and ships in the area. The two droids then use that data to begin identifying weak spots in various net configurations while calculating the amount of time and probable configuration of the net during the directed scan of the freighter as it passes through the area. DRK-1X and Derek then begin the arduous task of crunching the numbers to calculate probabilities of success for each scenario and eliminating or refining unfavorable results. Both Derek and 1X will use the available datapads to help with the purely computational aspects of the planning as they work. With skill and some luck, the two droids will hopefully manage to construct a effective scenario of 'what-if' contingencies that will help them to anticipate possible problems and have appropriate responses ready to deal with them.

Later, once Four has awakened, Derek will make a point of consuming some foodstuffs and appearing to sleep while it continues to mediate and converse with the probot via comlink about the issue at hand. It'll also shut down for awhile to recharge and reconfigure its code to accommodate the elaborate evasive-piloting program it and 1X have devised together. DRK-1X for its part will likewise shut down briefly to recharge and refocus its Code to enhance its stealth programming before Derek brings the Ari's Sorrow out of hyperspace.[sblock=OOC]I was thinking that, as far as hiding the vessel in the cluster, Derek will simply hide in plain sight; that is simply continue to drift along while powered down. Until we've located and rescued Dofina there's not going to be any place in particular that the ship has to be. My though was that, to avoid drawing attention by changing course and accelerating or decelerating unnecessarily while within the cluster, that it'd be best if the Sorrow simply fired its engines once after pulling away from the freighter and then drift through an unwatched section of the net at the key moment. Afterwards, instead of rejoining the freighter the Sorrow can simply continue along its trajectory and drift along for hours or days as needed. I imagine that the cluster is dozens of light years across so I'd expect that there'd be little risk of hitting anything and the chances of accidentally passing within visual range of a patrolling vessel would be remote. Space is huge! Simply appearing to be a small drifting asteroid on passive scans would be preferable to zipping around under power and raising the chances of being detected. Derek would simply sit tight and take passive scans of the area while listening to com chatter until signaled by 1X to rendezvous somewhere. If that doesn't sound like a good idea then let me know.[/sblock]

Remove ads