• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this a good campaign idea?

zakon

First Post
Hello guys, I've been DMing for almost 4 years, but it's been mostly near-storylineless hack n' slash, and this is my first attempt at a campaign with a good storyline. It was inspired by an advertisement about a documentary on insects(don't laugh) I just found one statement interesting: "For every one of us, there are 2 million of them" Which leads to my idea: Vermin invasion. The BBEG is going to be a vermin lord with class levels who rides a devestation...something, not quite sure what yet. And the PCs are going to fight lots of insects, including a few homebrew ones, defend towns, and persuade kings and leaders to commit troops. Generally, rather cool, I think. Plus a few "Side quests" Like I may be running "And madness followed" from dungeon magazine, because i thought it looked very cool. So, any imput on the campaign idea, besides the fact it is going to have to go on for a LONG time for them to be able to stand up against a vermin lord with class levels and some kind of devestation vermin.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well I hate bugs myself...but hey if you think it would neat, go for it.

Another option is running Shackled City or Age of Worms. That has plot. :)

zakon

First Post
Yeah, I hate bugs too. And though I do like age of worms, I can't get a hold of all of the magazines easily. Though I will be buying the Shackled City book eventually.

Nellisir

Hero
It's not a bad starting point -- but frankly, I think you can make a campaign out of almost anything.

Don't try to be really clever with super secret hints and stuff. You don't have to say "this campaign is all about insects", but feature enough early on, in enough variety, for the players to get the hint. Give them a chance to take favored enemy: vermin and stuff like that.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Zak,

Just use the first three-four adventures from Age of Worms. I'm sure they are still floating around there. Or else order from Paizo.

Nel,

some nice ideas.

shilsen

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of not going into a campaign with a pre-planned storyline, since that can lead to railroading and also depends on PCs being willing to deal with the given scenario. If your particular group of players isn't that enthused about fighting bugs for a very long time, there's going to be a problem. So if that's going to be the focus of the campaign, I'd talk to your players about it and also make sure to provide lots of variety.

Croesus

Adventurer
This was someone else's idea, but you might make some use of it. Create a truly massive vermin (a scorpion, beetle, whatever), as large as a city, but alive and (barely) mobile. This living city is commanded by the vermin lord, and his army lives inside and on the city. And the more food they scavenge - like people - the more vermin are bred.

Imagine the players' reaction when they first see this coming over a hill, with literally thousands (millions?) of vermin crawling in, on, over, around the thing.

Of course, defeating something like this is probably impossible, so you could include some kind of mcguffin that allows the vermin lord to control the city and its inhabitants. If the adventurers destroy the mcguffin, the vermin turn on the vermin lord, then each other. You could even have them simply consume the "city" until there's nothing left, then each other, with the few survivors wander off.

zakon

First Post
Oh, the hints won't be super-secret. Unless introducing the BBEG and having the PCs stop a group of giant bombadier beetles in the first game is "super secret"

Oh, and it's funny you should mention the giant insect the size of a city. I knew I needed some kind of "Holy Crap" inducing uber-beast for the villian to control, but I thought I had that covered with a devastation vermin. That is a great Idea.

Last edited:

Remove ads