• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this a good campaign idea?

Stone Angel

First Post
Sounds cool really cool actually. I mean you have already dealt with the well my guy really just wants to slay the dragon that killed my father sort of backstory. Infestation means you have to deal with it.

Start out with your normal D&D encounters orcs and such but always a bug or nine crawling out of their armor and such. Pre cursor. Mad prophets rambling on about the plague of nine million lions or something.

Plus if you haven't seen king kong watch the new one I think i would have rather fought all the T-Rex's then go down in that bug pit.

ceratitis

First Post
i love bugs :) but i'm an entomologist :D
look up some stuff about social bugs like bees and ants. really cool stuff. plus anything buggerish you want to know just fire away :)
ever seen a fireants nest move after they ate everything there is to eat? scary. your major 'town' could be mobile.
dont forget poisons, disieses, attacks from above by swarms of self sacrificing kamikazy bugs, borrowing surprises from below, huge underground caverns...
maybe have the BBEG a druid who thinks its time to cleanse the world and start over...
sounds cool all in all. just make sure you get some plot into it :) oh and dont forget the famine that follows the bug invasion though you can eat them, very good for you.
Z

Dei

First Post
FnordBear said:
Dont forget to add thrikreen and to an extent dromites, perfect little buggy villians there.

Infact if you want to have some real fun make the BBEG a thrikreen and never underestimate the power of a thrikreen ninja

A cool idea or alternatively you could have the thrikeen on Faerun be opposed to the bad guys, perhaps, eons ago, the Thri'keen and Dromites fled the "insectoid" plane that is coughing up these vermin , neither race is inherintly evil and Thri'keen are even described as being noble hunters, who would be very opposed to the decimation of their "happy hunting grounds" at the hands of a chittering horde. Could give you all sorts of neat history possibilities and would let you use Thri'keen and Dromite NPCs giving the "There is a legend among my people that one day darkness will cover the earth/ a great terror will arise from the dark place before life." scene as a means of information disemination to the PCs.

It could also be a method of giving the PCs the vital clues they need to defeat the BBEG "The legend says that should the heart of the darkness be struck down, etc, etc" and could make for a very cool "race against time" to find the aged Thri'keen soothsayer before the cultists do so he can impart the knowledge they need.

In more general terms though I think the idea really rocks. A lot of DM's are worried about railroading but sometimes it's nice to have a good and clear, they be bad guys, we be good guys (or at least a different kind of bad guy), we must thusly smite them campaign trail. I love the whole apocolyptic feel that you've got going. I also really like the idea of the bug city and the PC's being part of a concerted assault against it.

Wik

First Post
Awesome idea, really. It even gives the PCs an incentive for why a chaotic evil drow, lawful good elven wizard, chaotic neutral troll, and a flumph have for working together (just an example, here): the insects are a much bigger threat.

Instead of ONE BBEG, you should do something similar to what I did in an old "horde" campaign - have there be several "verminlords", or whatever, and stage it up so that the PCs can take one down at early levels, all the while knowing the BIG ONE is out there. Or, all of these Verminlords could serve some dark, evil power from another plane, and the campaign ends when said god is forced away from our realm.

I'd also take a look at templates. They're a great way to inject variety into a game, while keeping a thread of continuity. You could make a "winged insect" template, a "mantis" template, a "shelled insect" template, and maybe an "arachnid" template, as well. You could then apply them to pretty much every fight the PCs encounter... only, a fight with a "shelled insect" green dragon is going to be a helluva lot different than the "shelled insect" ankheg they fight!

A cult of humanoids (not all of whom are clerics) working from the shadows in the cities would be cool, too. They also make great villains for low-level adventures, since these adventures could consist of a few 1st level warriors, led by a 2nd level cleric, with a few giant fire beetles and the like thrown in (as well as swarms!) to set the mood of the campaign.

Something I found in a "horde" campaign that works well is this: start the campaign off following a major war between the nations. When the swarm begins, the nations are wary of one another, and aren't able to effectively put their differences aside to push back the bugs. Then, as things get bigger and the nations ally, they find there are still too many bugs to fight, and are pushed back into their seperate cities.

The latter half of the game in the campaign could consist of isolated cities, doing their best to defend themselves against the hordes of bugs. You could seed the campaign with news of "the City of Elverhaven fell last night", all the while re-inforcing the notion to the PCs that THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH unless they do something.

Check out a lot of zombie movies, too. I think the zombie movies are a great source of inspiration, simply because in most of those movies, an individual zombie is mostly harmless - it's only when they attack in numbers that they're a problem. These movies also give a lot of inspiration on just how you could approach running the game.

As for the bug city idea, I like the idea. Personally, I'd have the PCs be part of an elite team, sent in to "open the gates" or trigger some sort of bug pheromone that will weaken the bugs so that when the armies of humanity break in, they'll have a fighting chance. And, of course, once the armies are in the bug city, you can have a lot of fighting going on in the background while the PCs fight the evil king bug.

Another idea I used in an undead horde campaign to emphasize how nations were falling was to create small teams of low-level characters, and every now and then, the Players would play these pregen characters in a special episode I had created. I would add in reward notes for each character, saying "if you betray the party, your main PC will receive an additional 1,000 XP". The general idea was to run high-fatality adventures every now and then without harming the main PC group - it also let the players have some input in what happened in distant towns and villages. Plus, it made them realize the hordes were attacking EVERYWHERE, which made the PCs that much more eager to find a fix.

Imp

First Post
Oh, hey, something else. Star Trek II, Wrath of Khan, right?

Have bugs that burrow into people's ears and in this way put them under the control of the hive mind. This way they could start willingly abandoning their posts. You could have creepy stuff like lines of children running off into the sewers or bug tunnels at night. You can also have betrayals from trusted leaders and all kinds of paranoia. This could be a twist you put in later in the campaign, just as the PCs begin to tire of bug-squashin'.

JustKim

First Post
If you have the Dragon Magazine Archive or can get ahold of issue 174, check out the article "Bugged about something?". It's only a few pages long, but is an excellent resource for the abilities of real life insects and how they apply to D&D.

Kragar00

First Post
Allies

You could always have the PCs work to build allies with the equivalent of natural enemies of the bugs....
They may need to venture to find a race of intelligent spiders who normally eat giant insects...
Or Drow with their Spider worshiping... and Driders... If only the PC's could convince or buy their help....
You could always use giant bats or even were-bats to hunt the flying insects...
Giant Frogs, Grippli, or Bullywugs could help as they all eat insects as well...
The Thri Kreen (mantises eat other bugs) could work ... though that might blur the lines a bit as you have some good bugs and some bad ones...
I think it would be interresting to have the end of the adventure culminate with 2 great armies facing off... one a walking city of bugs, the other a joint effort between the people of the world... With the PCs working as a special forces unit sent to sabotage the insect's base of operations...

tombshroud

Explorer
I just finished a very good book dealing with a theme along this line. It is the new novel by Brian Keene called "The Conqueror Worms". It deals with a world wide flood and an invasion of -surprisingly- giant earthworms. Very good on atmosphere and full of good invasion ideas.

It was my first book by Brian Keene and if the others are as good I will definetely be getting them soon. Just thought it might provide some inspiration to your campaign idea.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Shil,

No problem.

I'm still not sure how well this plot will be recieved but eh, it's your campaign. Just watch out for player backlash.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I actually like the idea but I wouldn't call it a "campaign" per se. I'd say you could make it and adventure that is part of your campaign. A campaign should center around the exploits of the PCs in my opinion, not around the villain or the situation. Check out the 1e AD&D module "Against the Giants". That module revolves around freeing the Greyhawk land of Geoff from several groups of giants. It is a single module that links into several more (dealing with the Drow and eventually Lolth) but can totally be played as a stand alone adventure. The module would be "playing an adventure" while the campaign would be following the whole storyline through from Against the Giants to Queen of the Demonweb Pits. I'd say your war against the bug-lord would make a great chapter in the overall story that is your campaign.

Just my $0.02.

Of course you could somehow have the whole bug adventure somehow tie in with Lolth and use "Queen of the Demonweb Pits" as written (though it'd need to be converted to 3.5E). :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads