M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Knight Otu

First Post
The trial went on for what seemed an eternity. Diabolic judges. A diabolic jury. His old mentor. They all were there. At times, chants of Failure - Failure - Failure haunted through the court. At other times, the chant went Godsfoe - Godsfoe - Godsfoe.

Until one eon, the pillar began to talk. "This man is not yet yours. Let him say the verdict he deserves."

"Not... guilty..." would be the words the wizard would say, the first words after breathing anew, his eyes still closed.

(Whether halluzinatory memories of a dead man, or actual memories, I want to play that a raise dead, while possible, is not trivial. Hope no one minds those interjections.)

Manzanita

First Post
Sorry, KO. I forgot to email you when I handwaved through Ashnar's raising. Let me know if you want anything more.

I wanted to run my XP award by our judge. We've got a great bunch of players here, & I mean every one of you. I like it when you post frequently, RP, and make decisions. I don't like to NPC any of you. In order to reward those who make the posts and push the action, I feel obliged to award fewer XPs to those who had significant gaps in their posting in the main battle here. I realize its arbitrary, but I'm not interested in turning it into a science, (which I did in my DM foray on the main boards). I'm going to reduce the awards to Mordik and Rasereit by 10%. I've nothing against dwarves & I realize Ashnar didn't post much either. But he had a good excuse!

Challenges:
Passage through white goo part II: CR1, Rope/Acid pit: CR2, Kazikazi (CR8), 5 gnolls (CR 1 each), Rust monster (CR3). Time spent 1 month for simplicity (May 8 to June 7. I believe that's where we left off)

Adjustments:
90% only to Mordik and Razh
+100 XPs to Rinaldo for his flawless analysis of the rope/acid pit trap
+10 XPs to Ogrin for correctly naming Frump
+25 XPs to Rinaldo for his prompt and throrough funding/treasure analysis.

Totals:
Rinaldo: 1232 XPs
Nurlan, Ashnar, Tenebrynn: 1195 XPs
Ogrin: 1248 XPs
Eanos: 1238 XPs
Mordik and Razh: 1114 XPs

Knight Otu

First Post
Manzanita said:
Sorry, KO. I forgot to email you when I handwaved through Ashnar's raising. Let me know if you want anything more.
Nurlan, Ashnar, Tenebrynn: 1195 XPs
(Not a big problem, it's probably easier this way, too. His behavious will change somewhat, becoming more distant, for the time being, and there's a reason he still has his eyes closed.
[sblock]As a kind of visible mark, I want to change his eye color from green to ash grey[/sblock]
For background reasons, the circumstances of Ashnar's death have been very interesting, and I think the consequences should be noticable.

OK, for XP purposes, I'll go downgrade Ashnar back to 4th level (good thing I keep the old files). I belive after the raise dead, he should have 8,000 XP before the new XP (halfway between the minimum of the new level and the old level). Should I bother with the chance to lose prepared spells?)

Knight Otu

First Post
(Time to go down a level - aka, Ashnar now is 4th again.)

Slowly the wizard realizes what must have happened. "Where... are we?" Assuming he is answered, he'll say, his eyes still closed "Tell me. Tell me it was not really... that god."

orsal

LEW Judge
Nurlan shows his great joy and relief at seeing his companion return from the dead.
"Praise be to the Sister of Stone, who stands by her followers as a pillar."

Knight Otu said:
(Time to go down a level - aka, Ashnar now is 4th again.)

Slowly the wizard realizes what must have happened. "Where... are we?" Assuming he is answered, he'll say, his eyes still closed "Tell me. Tell me it was not really... that god."

"We were fighting an illusionist. He disguises himself as Kazikazi in order to be able to command the gnolls. We bested him, and he has surrendered. He told us where to find Causticus, and Rinaldo is keeping watch, wating for us back in the cavern where you fell. He also showed us the way out, so that we were able to come back without trying to climb up that chute again. The complex has several secret tunnels. As soon as we get back there we're going to go after the Viscount. Frump, the illusionist, claims he never liked Causticus -- describes him as a really nasty fellow -- but liked his money. I think he'll now help us because he likes his life even more. I don't know whether to trust him, but I think he's recognized that we can kill him any time we want, so I'm willing to let him try to redeem himself. I'm so glad you're back. Causticus' days are surely numbered now."

OOC: I added my XP and the new wand to my character sheet -- 90% of the way to 6th level! Got to start thinking about a new feat... For simplicity, I'm going to adjust GP at the end of the adventure.

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Even as Ashnar's return from the dead leaves him weakened, Eanos finds his own inner powers bostered by their recent trials. He stays quiet for most of the journey, focusing on the changes he's discovered in himself, thanking Ayratha for the strength gained from the tests she sends.

[sblock=OOC]RPing Ashnar's raise is actually kind of helpful. Eanos hits level 4 with this XP award so he needs to be re-approved before I can continue. Since he's only taking another level of monk, it shouldn't be too difficult writing up the changes. I should have him done tomorrow morning, then I'll email the judges. I'll try not to delay us too much.[/sblock]

Erekose13

Explorer
"Welcome back friend. Nasty spell that was, though I think we might be able to learn it in time too. I had a look at this Frump's spellbook and it doesn't look too complex." says Tenebrynn after Nurlan spells out their story.

Thanks for putting all that together Velmont, spot on once again. And you are right I know I'll get the money back at the end so all of that is good for party treasure minus what I'm about to do. Oh and Ten is 90% of the way to 6th too :) The next level after that is Eldritch Knight :)

If they have it, Tenebrynn will buy another wand of cure light. He'd like to keep it around just in case, that and 2 more potions of cure light. For now he keeps it on his person. If we need it, we can put it into party treasure and square up later.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian

On the way to Monemvassia, Razh feels a sense of improved endurance and vigor. He feels lighter on his feet, despite his bulk, and it seems almost as if in fighting off the magical attacks of Frump, a switch has flipped in his head, allowing the raging dwarf greater displays of anger.

OOC: 4th level, updated character and sending emails to judges now.

rln

Explorer
Ogrin also feels confident after the fight in Kazikazi's lair. His reflexes has improved greatly. That his mind is so easily tapped into by wicked mages bother him, though.

OOC: Also level 4, updated & emailed.

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo hears footsteps again. he instinctively walk bhind the pillar, using his hat to take teh appearance of the hobgoblin Kazikazi had as lieutnent, but finally, it is his friends who are coming back.

He moves out of his hiding place, pass near Frump and whispers him. "I think you owe him some excuse. Why not offering him access to your spellbook once all that is finish, he might appreciate." He then move toward his friends. "Welcome back... oops." He removes the illusion on him. "Ashnar! I am happy to see you again, and alive... I present you Frump." showing the wizard behind him.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Only 900 xp from 7th![/SBLOCK]

Remove ads