M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Manzanita

First Post
Frump save successful

Frump hardly glances at Nurlan, he becomes animated in his discussion with Rinaldo.

"I don't know of any traps, now. I doubt there are any in that tunnel. If dumb goblins can get through carrying crates and barrels, then there can't be anything to stop intrepid warriors such as yourselves. As for being rich, no no, my good man. In this you are wrong. Is the blacksmith rich because he owns an anvil and a hammer? Is the teamster wealthy due to his horse and wagon? No. These things cannot be sold, as they are his bread and butter. They are his means to an end. My spellbook could be sold, yes. But then where would I be. As soon as I spent that money, I would be reduced to a poor begger. No, the spellbook's value lies in its ability to enable the wizard to earn a living."

"As for prison, This may be. I ask again. What do you want. I can help."

orsal

LEW Judge
It was worth a try, Nurlan thinks, noting Frump's indifference. At least he isn't reacting the way Mayor Arness did. No harm done.

"Perhaps the best thing would be to turn Mr. Frump over to the Monemvassian authorities for judgement. He has aided one of their most vile enemies, but if he now aids in his downfall, I can trust that that service will be taken into consideration. My friends, I cannot say whether Mr. Frump has any true loyalties, but he does seem to be clever enough to recognize the situation. He must find some service which, in the eyes of the law, will be enough to atone for Ashnar's murder, and for his previous collaboration with Causticus. How else can he do this except by helping us locate and kill Causticus?" Nurlan speaks directly to his comrades, but his words are intended for Frump's ears as much as anyone's.

rln

Explorer
"Trust me, I want to dunk him in the slime pool till he quits squirming as much as you do. Just play along, buddy" Ogrin whispers to Razh while the others have Frumps attention

Ogrin then speaks up. "He has, by his own choice, aided the assassins and the traitor Viscount. He has killed a duly appointed representative of the Monemvassian crown. That would make his life forfeit, should he be turned over to the law. In the worst kind of way, I might add."

Ogrin then turns to the wizard. "At least we can offer a swift death. Your tools are forfeit in any case. They will be put to use in bringing down the viscount, and to bring our fallen friend back to life, if possible.

The only reason I see to let you live, is that you aid us in bringing down the Viscount. By action, not by words. With your spells of befuddling the sight, you can get us in there. You can get us past his guards without them noticing. You can help us kill him.

Ashnar's life for the Viscounts. You help us kill him and you're free to go. You betray us, the last thing you'll feel will be my blade buried in your spine."

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Eanos, holding his side, finally pipes up with a suggestion.

"Intrepid we might be, but also slightly worse for wear after this little tussle with you and your gnolls," he says, holding his side. "I don't suppose your good Causticus left you any potions or other magical tools that might ... reverse some of the wear and tear you've put us through."

Here Eanos smiles coldly. "Might put us in a better mood, you see."

[sblock=OOC]He won't do it right now, but just to get this in before we move on: Eanos will retrieve his dropped sling from the SW corner of the room before the party moves on or camps or whatever we decide to do.[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo ponder a moment what Frump told him. "Don't be ridiculous, I could make a fortune by offering access to spellbooks to wizards so they can learn new spells, and the church of Gliran have much use of such spellbook. But it's true you would be reduce to a beggar until you could write down again those spells you know.

Here the proposition. We can hardly trust you, but we will gives you a chance. For that, you'll haev to do a few things. First, help us to find Causticous. Second things, your magic might be very powerfull, and we need to know which one you memorize. Each time you will memorize a spell, you'll have to show it to Tenebrynn and make sure we approved it, so we will know what to expect from you, both to devellop a strategy and to know what to do if you don't repect your word. Also, you won't carry your book, for the same reason. If you turn traitor, expect your precious book to be destoryed before you can touch it again. Finally, you'll show us all the magical item you are carrying or have hoarded. We will decide if you might keep it.

Once all this is finish, we will see if you have respected your word, and we will decide what your faith. Most likely for now you'll be handed to authority, but we might change our mind, both way. And in this affair, you can be sure our words will weight heavy in your judgement. If you agree, and if everyone here agree too, we will go with that."

Manzanita

First Post
Frump sighs heavily, and a tear begins to work its way down his dirty cheek. "I always fall into the wrong company, I do. If I ever get out of this, I promise I'll settle down as some small town wizard and avoid all dangerous goings on."

"I've never been down that tunnel, but I've no love for Causticus. If its him you're after, then I'll try to help you. It's better than being turned over to Monemvassia. I've heard their brand of justice is swift and ruthless. I'll show you what I've got. It isn't much. Causticus promissed me good pay, but I never saw any of it. And what I used to have is long gone. He wouldn't even trust me with any healing potions. Said the gnolls weren't worth it."

He stands and walks over towards his throne. He reaches up his hand and touches the invisible wall. "This is glass. 30 feet wide, 10 feet high, and 1 foot thick. You've got to keep it clean, I've got a spell for that, but if you do, it's invisible and strong as steel. Some wizard must have made it along with the other weird traps in here. If you could get it out of the stone floor and haul it to a city, you'd probably make a mint."

He proceeds around the wall, one hand extended to touch it, so he doens't run into it. "This throne is also magical. When I cast my illusions while sitting on the throne, their duration is exponentially increased." He pauses and sucks on his pipe. The smoke is sweet and smells of strawberries. "It's heavy though, and too big to fit through the doors. I don't see how you'd get it out either."

He then proceeds to the NE corner, where he shows Ogrin where to insert the key. When done, this opens a silent, hidden door to a rough-cut stone room. A dark narrow passage leads West. The passage reeks of goblin excrement.

In the room are several crates, barrels and flasks. Several greataxes, longbows and crossbows hang on the wall. Numerous bolts, arrows and daggers lie about. There is also a crude desk, chair and hammock. Wimpell Frump shows the party his few changes of clothes, his toiletries, his pipe and tobacco, and, reluctantly, his spellbook.

"That's all I've got. I was a poor man when Causticus hired me, and I'm no richer now."

His spellbook is the only nice-looking thing in the room. It is bound in thick red leather, and embossed with his name: "W. Frump". It contains the following spells:
lvl0: all except schools of abjuration and evocation
lvl1: unseen servent, color spray, mage armor, shield, change self
lvl2: knock, invisibility, whispering wind, summon monster II, darkvision, detect thougths
lvl 3: hold person, displacement, major image, keen edge, water breathing
lvl 4: Fear, phantasmal killer, confusion

Velmont

First Post
"What spell you've left in memories for now, and how much more times that throne extend your spell. That displacement spell, put on our warrior, could help the greatly, or the invisibility too, even more if there duration is extended for a long time.

Also, when do you expect the next shipement from Causticus? And is there any other exit than that one?"

Manzanita

First Post
The old wizard answers Rinaldo's questions.

"There is one other exit. Another small tunnel the gnolls use to get in while avoiding the traps. Its back up the passage you came in."

"Right now I have darkvision, mage armor, whispering wind and color spray still memorized."

"I expect a shipment tomorrow."

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo turns arund and look at the corpse on the floor. H ethen remark the rust monster... who should still be alive. "I knock out your rust monster. he is train enough not to eat our metal? He could be use to disarm opponent... but if he has a chance to attack us again, I think we will finish him instead. Or just throw him away with the stalactite."

jkason

First Post
Manzanita said:
"I expect a shipment tomorrow."

Eanos perks up as he hears this, offering the following. "Then perhaps we needn't brave the tunnels at the moment. We camp here tonight, regaining some measure of strength and arcane might, and lay an ambush for tomorrow's shipment. If we can subdue rather than kill the delivery men, we could learn the safe way through. We'd be stronger and more well-informed, both of which can only help us, yes?"

Remove ads