Doctor Who 1.9/1.10 (5/5/06, 5/12/06) Empty Child/Doctor Dances (current-ep spoilers)

Since I don't think we've talked about this, at least for the U.S. showing, thought I'd get us started, and I thought we might consider them together.

This pair of episodes, at least where else I hang out on the Net, was pretty heavily hyped prior to (the U.S.) airing, so my expectations were pretty high. Especially after "Dalek" and "Father's Day," my standards for this new series were already pretty high.

I thought both eps delivered very well. In contrast to many a two-parter on many a series, I thought both halves worked here together smoothly and that the second part ("The Doctor Dances") wasn't a significant letdown from a high-quality setup ("The Empty Child").

I continue to be impressed by the same-yet-different dynamic of this series as compared to classic Who--I might write a few more thoughts on that at the end of this season--and this pair was another good example. This two-parter, especially "The Empty Child," was genuinely creepy, with the gas-mask effect and the spooky child voice/pursuit offering some of the most effective tension in the series to date.

Nancy was a well-done, well-acted character, and the parallels between her and the Doctor--both on their own, both trying to protect people, both lonely, both experiencing redemption at the end--were well-drawn (and more subtle than in, say, "Dalek," where dialogue underlines all such analogies). The quality of the main and supporting cast in general was uniformly high. Captain Jack is a bit broadly drawn for my tastes, covering fairly well-trod "scoundrel" ground, but his scenes with Rose in "The Empty Child" were slick, and his rivalry with the Doctor was pretty funny.

Impressive all around, even if this pair doesn't quite win the "best story of the season so far" crown for me.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I just finished watching "The Doctor Dances" on DVR a few minutes ago. My shift changed, and now I'm at work on Friday nights. :(

I really liked it. I'm a new "Who" fan. I saw maybe three episodes on PBS when I was a kid, but I never got into the series because of my hectic childhood schedule (play,play,play). Heck, I barely knew what I was watching the first time I saw Dr.Who on local PBS.

This current series has really hooked me. I set the DVR to record it every Friday without fail, and even though I work third shift and need to sleep I always watch it as soon as I get home Saturday morning.

I like the current Doctor, and I'm a bit concerned about the switch to a new actor next season. I hope that the Doctor's sense of humor is something that continues with the new season.

As for "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" I liked the spooky atmosphere and the great interaction between the main characters of the story. I though the actress that played Nancy did a wonderful job.

There was no preview for next week after the show, so I'm not sure what we get next week.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Who looks at a screwdriver and says, this could be more sonic?

Are you my Mummy?

Jack was a bit broad for my taste as well, but the sexual angle was funny. It was entertaining.

Richards

Legend
Yeah, I miss the previews, too. However, a little web investigations shows that next week will be "Boom Town."
Building plans for the heart of Cardiff conceal a plot to destroy the world in Boom Town, written by Russell T Davies.

When the Tardis crew take a holiday, The Doctor encounters an enemy he thought long since dead. It soon transpires that plans to build a nuclear power station in Cardiff city are disguising an alien plot to rip the world apart. And when the Doctor dines with monsters, he discovers traps within traps....
Sounds interesting.

I really liked "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" storyline. I was really pleased at the answer in the second episode to my biggest question from the first: what's up with the gas masks growing out of the faces? In the first episode, it seemed like the author came up with what he thought would be a cool visual, but didn't really have a good explanation in mind as to why that would have come about. The second episode explained everything nicely, though.

And I absolutley loved the opening sequence to "The Doctor Dances," where he tells the menacing gas-mask-people "I'm very cross with you! Go to your room!" - then remarks "I'm glad that worked, it would have been a terrible set of last words!"

Johnathan

snotling

Explorer
Richards said:
And I absolutley loved the opening sequence to "The Doctor Dances," where he tells the menacing gas-mask-people "I'm very cross with you! Go to your room!" - then remarks "I'm glad that worked, it would have been a terrible set of last words!"

Johnathan

I laughed really hard on that part. Amazingly funny.

I have let my kids watch the new show. this was was creapy enough, that I was not sure if they should.. now, I am going to screen them first (yeah! get to watch it 2 times) to make sure they are ok.

Crothian

First Post
Great pair of episodes. They worked on being creepy more then any other I've seen for Doctor Who.

What's up with the balloons though? I imagine it was historicilally accurate but I have no idea why london would have all those blimp shaped ballons around during the bombings.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Lhorgrim said:
I like the current Doctor, and I'm a bit concerned about the switch to a new actor next season. I hope that the Doctor's sense of humor is something that continues with the new season.

I was, too, but David Tennant pulled it off. He settled into the role immediately, made it his own, and, in my opinion, is better than Eccleston.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Crothian said:
What's up with the balloons though? I imagine it was historicilally accurate but I have no idea why london would have all those blimp shaped ballons around during the bombings.
I believe that their function was to act as aeriel mines of a sort, to foul the props of enemy planes. Never heard of one doing so.

[Rant] So what was with the typewriter? I've never heard of a manual typewriter with a speaker grille! [Rant]

Um, yeah, well, I couldn't think of anything else to complain about. :\

Brakkart

First Post
The balloons are called Barrage Balloons. Their purpose was to make low level bombing near impossible, forcing the german bombers to drop their payloads from higher up, thus making their bombing a lot more inaccurate.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases