Once Upon a Rheim (Erekose13 Judging)

El Jefe

First Post
Ok, now I'm really confused. Just because the guy didn't tag Oirhandir a second time, the party got away scot-free?

That sounds a little anticlimactic.

Bront

The man with the probe
El Jefe said:
Ok, now I'm really confused. Just because the guy didn't tag Oirhandir a second time, the party got away scot-free?

That sounds a little anticlimactic.
You chose to run away, and you made it away successfully. No telling what happened to poor Valdor :uhoh:

There were several ways you could have taken Garza down if you had confronted him. You could have tricked him (Valdor suggested it actualy), but you chose to avoid him, and you managed to avoid his tag, and it was more than 2 days before he knew what actualy happened. So, he cut his losses at that point. All he realy wanted was Scarlet for his "private collection" (I'll let you infer all kinds of nasty adult conotations into that, and most are true).

El Jefe

First Post
Ok, now that I've got some time, I've gone back and re-read it, and I've come to an understanding. It all went by pretty fast the first time, though, and I think we had different understandings of what was going on.

I think both myself as a player and Oirhandir as a character wouldn't initially be too concerned with the details of the contract. As far as we were both concerned, it was all just a ruse to draw out Garza. Both player and character expected for this to end up in a big fight where we put paid to Garza's henchmen. And, based on the fact that a split party managed to survive an ambush (abeit barely fighting to a draw), I don't think it would be overconfidence to expect that the full party would prevail.

So, Oirhandir (and myself) weren't really reading the fine print on the contract. Of course, now we are.

I'm not sure we'd have just boogied back to Orussus. Oirhandir wanted to put a stop to Garza's shenanigans once and for all (and would be satisfied with a confession by one of his henchmen in front of the Rheim authorities). Part of me thinks that once the party got safely as far as Covington, he'd be tempted to turn back for another pass, sans Scarlet's family. And I think Oirhandir would be a little worried about what would happen to Valdor.

So, I'm trying to figure out from the interchange if Valdor was comfortable with pulling some kind of fast one on Garza, selling the slaves to Oirhandir with the provision that he could free them without being forced to auction them off. By "comfortable", I mean that Valdor felt that it was very unlikely that Garza would seek revenge against him for pulling such a stunt. If not, I'd think Oirhandir would have doubled back, just to ensure the safety of his friend.

Another aspect is, just what does the contract imply? Does Oirhandir now own the plantation? Does he (at least on paper) own Scarlet and her siblings, or was he successfully able to document their freedom? And how solid legally, in terms of what passes for the law in Rheim, is all this? Would Garza easily be able to go to a Rheim court and have the transaction declared null and void, have Valdor declared a fraud and imprisoned, have Scarlet and her sibs declared his property, and Oirhandir declared Valdor's conspirator and thus outlaw? Or would he likely have to fret and fume because he'd been clearly outmaneuvered?

All of these things would have been going through Oirhandir's head, more and more so as he rode farther and farther from Rheim.

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: On another note, Apparently Riem actualy abolished slavery, so I'm thinking that Rheim and Riem are not the same city. :eek:

Remove ads