What are your top 5 fantasy movies?

Urizen

First Post
I've been pretty nostalgic lately, thinking about the evolution of movies in the Fantasy genre, so I decided to list my top 5 of all time. I'd like to see what movies everyone else likes as well, so, what's your top 5?

1. The Two Towers: I felt that, of all the movies in the trilogy, Peter Jackson handled this one the best. The Extended version is much better than the one which appeared in the movie. I loved the battle for helm's deep in spite of the fact that in the books there were no elves there. I do think the encounter with Shelob should have been left at the end of the movie.

2. Conan The Barbarian: Great sword and sorcery movie. This is one of those movies that sparked my imagination and shaped my early ideas about what kinds of Dungeons and Dragons campaigns I wanted to play and run.

3. Dragon Slayer: Another classic fantasy movie. 'nuff said.

4. Legend: Though not a huge fan of Tom Cruise, I loved this movie. Great tale of good and evil.

5. The Fellowship of The Ring (Extended version): Too many inconsistancies to rate it higher, but still one of my all-time favorites. Ian McKellen brought Gandalf to life. The scene on the Bridge of Khazad-dum was near-perfect. Sean bean's portrayal of Borimir was also another highlight of this movie. He brought redemption to the character. And who better to play Saruman than Christopher Lee?

KenM

Banned
Banned
1. The Lord of the Rings, extended edtions. By Peter Jackson. Since they were filmed all at once, I consider it one movie.

2. Willow

3. The Princess Bride

4. Conan the Destroyer

5. Krull

Psychic Warrior

First Post
1-3 Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Which one I like best changes with my mood but they are the top three.

4. Princess Bride - fencing, fighting, giants, revenge, true love...what more could you want?

5. Spirited Away - a beautifully animated film about a young girl getting stuck in the realm of the spiritworld.

delericho

Legend
1. Fellowship of the Ring

2. Return of the King

3. The Two Towers

4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

5. Willow

or...

1. Lord of the Rings

2. CTHD

3. Willow

4. Alladin (Disney)

5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Urizen

First Post
KenM said:
1. The Lord of the Rings, extended edtions. By Peter Jackson. Since they were filmed all at once, I consider it one movie.

2. Willow

3. The Princess Bride

4. Conan the Destroyer

5. Krull

That's a fair assesment about the trilogy. I'd totally forgotten about willow! That's another great movie.

Urizen

First Post
delericho said:
1. Fellowship of the Ring

2. Return of the King

3. The Two Towers

4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

5. Willow

or...

1. Lord of the Rings

2. CTHD

3. Willow

4. Alladin (Disney)

5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Depending on your mood? Or just too many to choose from?

Sandain

Explorer
1. The Princess Bride
2. Lord of the Rings trilogy
3. Labyrinth
4. Willow
5. Evildead 2 (is that the one with the Necronomicon etc?)

Urizen

First Post
Sandain said:
1. The Princess Bride
2. Lord of the Rings trilogy
3. Labyrinth
4. Willow
5. Evildead 2 (is that the one with the Necronomicon etc?)

Evil dead 2 and Army of Darkness both deal with the Necronomicon. I never saw evil dead 1, but I would assume the story also has something to do with it.

I'm going to restrict my answers to movies no one has mentioned yet (since all the movies listed so far are great), and note that these are movies I enjoy, not necessarily ones I think are brilliantly well-done.

5. The Sword and the Sorcerer: Maybe it's because of how old I was when this movie came out, but I have very fond memories of it. Plus, three-bladed swords made many, many appearances in early D&D games I was involved with.
4. Hawk the Slayer: This is a D&D game. For all the cheese, I can't help but love it.
3. Dragonheart: Far from perfect, but an interesting "last days of myth" kind of story.
2. Beastmaster: Again, not a perfect film. But an interesting depiction of a D&D-style ranger, with a Dark sun kind of feel to it. Once again I suspect my age at the time of its release is part of the reason I love it, but it's far better than any of the sequels.
1. The Thirteenth Warrior: Okay, I'm cheating. There aren't any explicit "fantasy" elements in this movie. Even so, it's a great retelling of the Grendel myth, and the -characters- can't be sure magic doesn't work, which is one of the things that carries the movie.

Remove ads