What are your top 5 fantasy movies?

Thanee

First Post
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy (especially Fellowship of the Ring)
2. The Gamers
3. Willow
4. The Princess Bride
5. Clash of the Titans

Bye
Thanee

Urizen

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
1. LOTR series
2. 13th Warrior
3. Gladiator
4. Troy
5. Excalibur

There are several other good ones but those are my favorites.

The 13th warrior is an amazing movie. I loved the references to the Woman of Willendorf (the tiny rock carving they found in the hut.)

Excalibur is another outstanding movie, by far the best telling of the Authurian legend I've seen.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I'm still hoping one day they make a film featuring an awe-inspiring battle between two wizards. That is one staple of fantasy that has yet to be done satisfactorily on the big screen. Until then, here is my list:

1. Excalibur

2. Conan

3. Willow

4. Clash of the Titans

5. Sword and the Sorceror

If I was not such a huge fan of and had never read The Lord of the Rings books, I would probably have those movies on my list. I just can't put them on my list as they are such a horrible, painful adaptation of the books that I gave away the extended trilogy to a friend. They were so horrible to me that I willingly and happily parted with them even though I had spent $60 or so on them. Every time I watched them, they got worse and worse until I just couldn't bear to own them any longer.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Celtavian said:
If I was not such a huge fan of and had never read The Lord of the Rings books, I would probably have those movies on my list. I just can't put them on my list as they are such a horrible, painful adaptation of the books that I gave away the extended trilogy to a friend. They were so horrible to me that I willingly and happily parted with them even though I had spent $60 or so on them. Every time I watched them, they got worse and worse until I just couldn't bear to own them any longer.

And yet look at your avatar.

Templetroll

Explorer
Celtavian said:
I'm still hoping one day they make a film featuring an awe-inspiring battle between two wizards. That is one staple of fantasy that has yet to be done satisfactorily on the big screen.

"The Raven" starring Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, and Peter Lorre plus a young Jack Nicholson and Hazel Court. Karloff is Scarabus, Price is Dr. Craven and Lorre is Bedlo.

In this tongue-in-cheek movie inspired by Poe's poem, Dr. Craven is the son of a great sorcerer (now dead) who was once himself quite skilled at that profession, but has since abandoned it. One evening, a cowardly fool of a magician named Bedlo comes to Craven for help- the evil Scarabus has turned him into a raven and he needs someone to change him back. He also tells the reluctant wizard that Craven's long-lost wife Lenore, whom he loved greatly and thought dead, is living with the despised Scarabus.

There is a wizards duel at the end between Scarabus and Craven. it is excellent!

my list:

1. Lord of the Ring trilogy - I agree about Sean Bean's performance, excellent!

2. The Princess Bride

3. Conan the Barbarian

4. The Raven

5. Golden Voyage of Sinbad - Harryhausen, Caroline Munro and Tom Baker as the villian! One of the best homonculi ever on the screen!

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Celtavian said:

I guess this makes me glad I've missed reading them....

My list in no particular order:

Excalibur

Lord of the Rings trilogy

Star Wars original trilogy

Harry Potter (all four movies)

Gladiator

Haven't seen any of the others mentioned other than Troy. Been a LONG time since I'd seen Conan the Barbarian to remember it. Same with The Little Mermaid and Snow White.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

(I can't believe no one else mentioned this.)

Others: depends on my mood, but I'll make a list that'll probably change in a few minutes.

Labyrinth

Princess Bride

Golden Voyage of Sinbad

Excalibur.

Remove ads