What are your top 5 fantasy movies?

Brakkart

First Post
1. Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy

2. Dragonslayer

3. Princess Bride

4. Conan the Barbarian

5. The Scorpion King

I love fantasy movies, got a shelf of them on DVD, including a load of more cheesy ones like Deathstalker, Red Sonja, Sword & the Sorceror etc. Just wish they made more fantasy movies really.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Wow, no love for Narnia?

1. The Lord of the Rings
2. Narnia
3. Legend
4. Willow
5. Ladyhawke

Beastmaster is not on there because Narnia pushes it out of the top 5 :)

It's hard, hard not to put Excalibur on that list, too.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Star Wars - I consider it Fantasy
King Kong (PJ Version)
The Little Mermaid (Disney)
Darby OGill and the Little People
Snow White (Disney)
Wizard of Oz
Brigadoon - does this count, magical village and all..

PrinceXaxor

First Post
Ha! I was going to post Star Wars as well, Tonguez. Well, at least the original trilogy, before midichlorians and pod-racing. Anways...

The Princess Bride - Everything you could ask for in a good adventure. The book is even better.

Excalibur - Probably the best King Arthur movie.

The Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven - Not strictly fantasy, but many elements of a good D&D campaign.

Vampire Hunter D - some future-fantastic elements, but your basic monsters and swords movie.

Records of The Lodoss War OVA - Full circle, baby. Full circle.

Like a lot on here, I would put LOTR trilogy as the top 3.... but some other ones I like haven't been mentioned yet. I would put the three Harryhausen Sinbad movie high up there, as well as Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts. Those old fantasy movies didn't have the oomph of modern fx, but they told a good story....

horacethegrey

First Post
1) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Was the best film in the entire trilogy for me. It had the best pacing, visuals, screenplay, and above all, acting. Ian Mckellen was at his absolute best as Gandalf here. It's also for me the most moving film for me, the ending in particular always brings tears to my eyes. :(

2) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Wow. Never did I expect this to be as good as it was. Finely crafted and executed, it stands for me as the best children's fantasy film of all time.

3) The Princess Bride - Heh. You think I'll exclude the most oft quoted movie of all time? :p

4) Labyrinth - Five words. David Bowie dancing with Muppets. Oh, and Jennifer Connelly too. :D

5) Conan the Barbarian - Vitness ze birth of ze govenah! :p

Remove ads