Lost Homeland OOC

Charberus

First Post
Well, I read a couple of books where there were casters with stuttering problems, siezure problems, and some that just had abit of uncontrolled magic. While some weren't magic induced, it made the casters more interesting as they tried to overcome their 'shortcomings.'

I am not suggesting such a huge penalty, just something that makes spellcasting abit of a problem. An example would be to make concentration checks for: Stuttering on vocal spells, shaky hands for material components, or chance for the caster to go into a uncontrolled seizure when casting those powerful spells (which would be like the penalty of the metamagic feat in Complete Arcane [Born of Three Thunders].

These penalties could also involve sight or the 'range' of spells (like the spells range dont go as far as they used to). While not debilitating, it would definitly cause the wizard to be more careful. Its like getting free Flaws feats in UA. Perhaps their ability to cast from a certain school is penalized, or maybe 1-2 of their damage dice for anything over a certain lvl are always considered 1's.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Hrm not really sure I like that. Well, I'll prolly ask EnWorld at some point in time, but considering that we're probably never gonna get anywhere on this subject, I'm gonna go on to the next one:

Characters have weapon groups from the Unearthed Arcana.

Well, it's pretty much a standard now. I think I agreed to this mainly because everyone else already had decided they liked it. It does allow a greater variety and has allowed me to choose Exotic Weapons when I normally wouldn't have been able to take them, so it's all good. ;)

Charberus

First Post
I agree with you there. Having the ability to choose a weapon group adds more to the character then just the limited kind.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, I'm gonna assume that since Jeff also uses them, he likes this HR as well. ;) So on to the next one.

No favored classes or penalties for having two classes apart in level.

Never really liked the idea of favored classes, probably never will. If people followed them, it would be like trying to make my character more stereotypical. 'Sides, I love multiclassing and viewing multiclassing more as a way to make my character how I view him/her than anything else. Favored classes restricts that too much.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Next!

Regional Feats are limited as per normal rules. Each nation I have has it's own set of normal Regional Feats.

Although previously, I disliked the idea of having Regional Feats, I've actually become a little more interested in it recently since I read the idea of granting feats at every level and having those which would normally be gained [1,3,6,etc] be either racial feats or regional feats.

Although previously I had the combat v. noncombat, I got tired of everyone not being sure on which are noncombative because everyone has different ideas of noncombative. I find this new method I'm using above to be a preferable alternative, though it does mean that Regional Feats are not used as freely as before.

I had even asked on EnWorld whether they should be allowed to be taken by others, through training or something, but the general consensus was 'no.'

Charberus

First Post
Reason for Not Taking Quest

[sblock=DM Only] Seriously, I have NNOOO idea wtf is going on. First he says that he can get us through the grand portal, show us where the library is, and tell us that we need to find a book in a library (like a needle in a haystack). While, as tempting as it is, I figured he would be more helpful in telling us exactly what the actual book is known to look like, as well as what prevents him from just going to the library in the first place and just reading the book there.

Also, he changes the total description in the latest part, as saying that noone has returned alive and that we have a chance of surviving since we have time to prepare (Which is odd considering we don't have a clue as to what to prepare for...cause NOONE HAS CAME BACK ALIVE!!). That just screams out DONT DO IT!!! It also brings up even more questions about the validity of the quest. How is it, that he can give us information to get us to a place where noone has come back from (which is odd considering he says he will give us a magical item to bring us back...seems like the items haven't worked/or they are in beta stage).

Which brings me to even more questions about the whole 'book' mission. A library should contain alot of books. With the language barrier and possible glyphs I would be unable to read due to that, I would be even more unlikely to even bother going. At most, I could read 6 pages a day (Read Magic spell), which would be annoying while trying to find a totally undescriptive book with no title. Also, why does this person want the book in the first place? I mean, there has GOT to be a reason for wanting a book that is known to have power over life and death. I dont care if he lies or not, but I would not go on a suicidal mission for just the item he wants to use as decoration (unless it is a cool looking weapon).

If that guy wants to just give money to, according to what he has said: basically jump into a portal and never expect to return only by magical item, and hope you can read/understand what the book cover says...then yah, I guess he can give away money like that. But, if he really wanted the said book, he would definitly need proof that A) Proof the book exist, B) Reason for wanting the book C) Actual location and map to said location, D) Protection for the book, so the people carrying it don't accidently destroy it/a rival doesn't get it/stuff like that.

Last point, I am starting to think this guy is making everything up. This guy is talking to us in the street AND wont give us his name or any good description of the item. He also doesn't seem to think it that important, since he doesn't mind talking about it in the open. Also, he changes the story about what is known behind the Great Portal...only that noone returns. What makes me even more suspicious is that this book is said to control the powers of life and death. Yet, he talks about it so nonchalantly that I doubt it would be worth risking my life for what sounds like normal book (that is if it even exist). [/sblock]

Last edited:

Charberus

First Post
For Regional Feats, it should be allowed to anyone that spends enough time in the nation to actually warrant a reason for taking it. Also, if 1 nation has a feat that is based off mountain climbing, then other nations should be able to take it too, but only if there is a reason for taking it.

Now, lets say the campaign was mostly based off the region with the mountain. Wouldn't a PC who invested time and energy into climbing mountains (and spent alot of time with other npc of the town to learn climbing), also be able to gain the Feat?

Regional feats are based feats based off culture, environment, monsters, and lore. People who live in an area tend to develop those abilites not immediatly, but do eventually gain them. Mostly by interraction with other people in the area. Because of that (which I have personally experienced), I feel that Regional feats should be allowed to other PC not from the region....BUT only if they spend time and energy to gain that feat.

Aereas

First Post
Weapon groups: Those I do like for many of the mentioned reasons. The only thing I don't like about them is that wizards get gimped on choices but virtualy everyone else usualy comes out ahead or equal.

Favored classes: I rarely multiclass to such a point where I even need to worry about this rule. As such It doesn't matter to me one way or another. I'm fine with keeping it just for Josh's severe desire to have 30 classes at once ;)

Regional feats: Much like Brian said I see no reason why others couldn't learn them later. Hell, using that mountainclimbing example why couldn't someone from a region learn the same feat from another region? He may not even realize its the same skills that region uses, just that he found a way that makes climbing easier. In most cases the sane goes for those feats that are 1st level only.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, so assuming I let Regional Feats be taken by outsiders, what prerequisites would you put on them? They certainly should not be taken easily by outsiders, considering that they are cultural feats as opposed to just normal feats.

Aereas

First Post
If there skill boosting feats require x (prolly around 5 to 8) ranks of that skill (or skills). For some perhaps even require that they be taught by someone of that region (possible monetary requirement as such) or spend twice as long in that region if you desire to train yourself. Some would probably even have both as a prereq.

In most cases they would also have to have decent relations with at least one person of that region who has that feat in order to get it

Remove ads