Lost Homeland OOC

Aereas

First Post
As its only a minor effect I have no problems with it. It adds an air of mystery without disrupting the flow of the game or hindering a character over much. If the penalties began to actualy get pretty bad without good reasoning then things could get bad with this rule.

Of course curiosity drives me to wanting to know what the percentage rates are ^_-

Charberus

First Post
Personally, I feel that curses should actually be tied to the effect of the item then just pure randomness. If having a Cloak of Flames, which spontanously makes your eyes turn different color doesnt make sense. But, if the cloak of flames were to make your skin appear more burned, that would be more reasonable.

A sample would be: Shadowy Cloak of Elven Kind, gains +1 bonus in shadowy areas, but -1 in bright light (like Light spell). Hat of Disguise, might start fading the colors of the wearers cloths.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Charberus said:
Personally, I feel that curses should actually be tied to the effect of the item then just pure randomness. If having a Cloak of Flames, which spontanously makes your eyes turn different color doesnt make sense. But, if the cloak of flames were to make your skin appear more burned, that would be more reasonable.

A sample would be: Shadowy Cloak of Elven Kind, gains +1 bonus in shadowy areas, but -1 in bright light (like Light spell). Hat of Disguise, might start fading the colors of the wearers cloths.

The effects are related to the item. The only real randomness is the percent chance of this happening or not.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, sounds like the previous HR is good, so I'm keeping it. Now on to the next one:

Items which grant bonuses to a stat do not exist (Periapt of Wisdom, Amulet of Health, etc). Books and Tomes DO exist, but they are more rare.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've explained this at least once before, but I'll say it again briefly. Essently, this is my answer to players going after stat items quickly. Like when we make a 16th level char, what are the first items we think of? Stat items. I'm tired of that.

So how do I counter the game that seems to expect characters having this? You gain points for point buy at every level, thus increasing your own power natural, which I feel is important.

Considering the fact that I like this HR, the only thing I need a little more of is testing to see how it balances out. I'll probably go to the next HR in the next day or so.

Charberus

First Post
Personally, I like the items that boost stat points mostly so I can increase the DC of abilites. Its no fun having abilites that get resisted alot. I do like the Con/Str abilites so i can absorb and deal more damage.

If you want to balance it, then make items that have an effect like those effects on stats. Like an item that increases int for a wizard, would only increase the DC of spells and add a bonus to int based skills like knowledge. Perhaps range fighters could have better range abilites. Mostly, negate the actual stat increase and give bonuses that fit the character.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
But if you use the Points to buy up your Intelligence, you do increase your Intelligence and thus the DCs, etc that comes along with that. Technically, this is even better than a Headband of Intellect because the Headband doesn't add number of skill ranks.

And if you want to increase your Str/Con, you can.

I think I'm confused as to what your problem is with this. You claim you want items that increase your stats, but you don't like the idea of making this a completely natural part of your character? There isn't much difference except that instead of writing down Gloves of Dex +6, as you level, you'll add points to increase your Dex; also, Gloves can be stolen while your points cannot be.

Charberus

First Post
I guess your confusion stems from the fact that my answer was written badly. When you said you wanted a 'counter,' I thought you meant you wanted to replace items like that (Since we were talking about items previously). Example: Gloves of Str +2 = Gloves of Battle +1 Attack and +1 Damage.

I guess, you wanted a 'counter' for pernament stuff. I guess, there could be 3 ways of doing that: Grafts, Ability, Point Buy.

Grafts: Since grafts are innate, it could be interesting idea to have certain people 'activate' certain grafts that they start with. These grafts can grow over power. Like, an Undead Arm or Warforged Arm for a Fighter would grow as if the character bought a Gauntlet of Ogre Str.

Ability: Perhaps having an ability that suddenly boost the DC/Spell Power/Spell Level for wizards. Would work like a special Metamagic Feat.

Point Buy: This could go several ways. But, I think a good way would to not gain points for a person to distrubute like exp, but gain the stat point to just put into a stat like a pernament item. An example: A Successful mission that saved the princess at the final castle, would get each adventurer +1 or +2 stat point they can distribute to any stat. This would almost be considered buying a +2 gauntlet of str or like item.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Hrm. I was trying to stay away from the idea of having items increase stats or replicate what stats do so closely as to almost be like stats. They would be treated similarly. Wizards always go for the Headband of Int, for example. If I created an item that acted as increasing Int without actually increasing the stat, Wizards would simply always choose that item instead.

As for gaining it on missions, perhaps I could, but I'm not entirely sure I like that. [Not necessarily a bad idea, but that just kinda rubs me wrong]. As you said, it would be like buying that item, which...I kind of want to get over that entire feel. It's the same thing with my giving a feat at every level. I want to growth to be of a more personal sort, the focus to be a little more on the character, as opposed to more on what items he/she has. Treating stats as rewards gives them a feeling that stats are treasures and by doing that, I might as well go back to the items/spells that increase your stats.

Perhaps 'counter' wasn't quite the word I was looking for. More appropriately would be 'And how do I make up for their loss in a game that almost seems to depend on them?' My answer would be by increasing the natural ability of the characters through this method.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, going onto the next one cause our discussion for the previous HR doesn't seem to be going anywhere. ;)

Magical items no longer cost XP to create. Instead, Craft Points are used. Consider them similar except that instead of spending an amount of XP equal to 1/25th the cost, you spend a number of Craft Points equal to 1/10th the cost. Thus a 100gp item instead of costing 4 XP now costs 10 Craft Points. If you do not have enough Craft Points, for obvious reasons, you cannot create the item.

Part of the thing I was doing was to eliminate XP costs for everything, including spells, item creation, character death. However, I wanted to find a way to limit item creation [instead of just limiting the gold] and when I found this someone had posted a while ago, I thought it was exactly what I was looking for.

However, I have not tested it out yet, so I do not know how balanced exactly the numbers are.

It's similar to the extra Craft Points that several classes such as the Fleshwarper gets, just handled slightly different as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Remove ads