Lost Homeland OOC

Aereas

First Post
he he...I was thinking you were just saying that the PC didn't get charged for the creation of the nonmagical item. As in a sword +2 would cost 8k nd not 8.3k.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Well, I'll go onto the next cause there's no real point in discussing the previous one...

You can upgrade items with bonuses by paying the difference between the two. Thus items like cloak of resistance are similar to bonuses of a weapon or armor.

Thoughts: I guess I just don't see why not, although without the stat boosting items, I guess there isn't as much point to it. I think there's so few items like this I may just take this out [and save an additional couple of lines of space ;)].

Last edited:

Aereas

First Post
There still are a number of items this can be used on
Cloaks of resistance, Rings of protection, bracers of armor, (depending on how loosly you restrict it) upgrading silent on armor to greater silent, Ammy of nat armor....

Ok, I thought there was more but that really sums it all up.

Charberus

First Post
I don't think that any property should go on any item (like boots of natural armor, headband of dex). That stuff just doesn't seem right. There still should be a limit to what properties items should have. Wotc has posted on this stuff before and gone into alot of good details as to why certain items have certain properties.

Aereas

First Post
I do like it as it doesn't really make sense that if you wanted to take a cloak of resist +2 and raise it to +3 that youd have to buy a whole new cloak. I see no reason why you couldn't just pour alittle more magic into it and raise the enchantment without making it anew. Afterall you can add an entire second item to it.

I'm not sure what brought up Brian's comment and would comment on it but no time right now.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Charberus said:
I don't think that any property should go on any item (like boots of natural armor, headband of dex). That stuff just doesn't seem right. There still should be a limit to what properties items should have. Wotc has posted on this stuff before and gone into alot of good details as to why certain items have certain properties.

I admit I'm a little confused as to what brought this up as well. I was talking about how you can upgrade a +1 weapon to a +2 weapon by paying 6k instead of selling the +1 weapon and buying a +2 weapon...

which is exactly what you'd normally need to do with a Cloak of Resistance +1. For that Cloak of Resistance +2, you'd need to sell the +1 [for 500gp] and then buy the +2 cloak [for 4k]. With this House Rule, you could instead pay the difference [which is 3k].

Charberus

First Post
Ah. My bad. I was remembering what Wotc had for rules about placing enchantments on items that normally shouldn't get them.

You will have to pardon that comment. Sometimes I misread a post every so often. Thanks for pointing that out.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, gonna assume that's a keeper and go onto the next:

Magical Items have a chance of being flawed. The chance isn't great, but it is still there. Only I know the chance of this occurring. [Flaws are not necessarily bad; mainly, it adds a little extra interest to an item and makes some of them a little more unique.]

You don't know what the chance is or really any specifics for this at all, but honestly I prefer that [although I do have the chance written somewhere, it's impossible for me to know what the flaw is going to be beforehand]. It's just my way of adding a little bit of interest to what would normally me totally mundane magical items. Maybe the Cloak of Elvenkind is truly made out of shadows or maybe that Hat of Disguise causes your hair to grow at a much quicker rate. I don't know; won't know till I roll and think of something. Occasionally, an item might have a tiny penalty and sometimes, it might be a little beneficial.

Charberus

First Post
=[ ][*][ ]=TANGENT ALERT =[*][ ][*]=

Speaking of Magic Items. Have you seen the magic items in Goblins comic. Now, that is awesome. And they are lvl 2 (I think). I know this is a comic, and they can do whatever they want. But still, the magic weapons/items in that comic are interesting and unique. THAT is what magic items should be about. Not just power based off lvl, but something that gives the PC more unique feeling.

Not to mention that there are 2-3 items we already know that is cursed. (probably more to see later)

Remove ads