Incantations?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ritual spells that anyone can cast, but they take a lot of work to find, a lot of work (and often time and components) to cast, and they have very specialized uses.

They're in Unearthed Arcana and can be found at most SRD sites as well.

arscott

First Post
focused only on incantations, or gets spells too?

Incantations were originally designed to cover for the 6-9 level spells that d20 modern casters didn't get, so you might be better off giving them some lower level spells to play around with to stick closer to the Modern approach.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Kesh said:
I still want to figure out a way to make a playable PC class focused on incantations..

My suggestion would be to take the Expert NPC class as is, and then add one "free" incantation per level. This would require a great deal of work on the part of both DM and player, because incantations don't lend themselves well to low levels, but I think it would work in the long run.

For low level effects, it would probably be best to use existing spells as a template (almost mechanic for mechanic), and stick to the utility spells.

Aus_Snow

First Post
This is one of the best places to check out those rules.

There are other kinds of incantations from d20/OGL publishers, but that's the 'official' type there, originally from Unearthed Arcana (by WotC).

Also, if you use Firefox (not a bad idea itself, btw), that site (d20srd.org) has a neat little utility that adds the d20srd.org site as a 'search engine' - albeit a very narrow one - at the top of your browser (one of however many search engines you want, usually including staples like google).

Very handy, that. :cool:

Remove ads