Do Adjustments To Core RAW Often Meet With Resistance In Your RPGing Group?

Do Adjustments To Core RAW Often Meet With Resistance In Your RPGing Group?

• Yes

Votes: 45 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 74.4%

Hussar

Legend
Nope. So long as everyone understands the reasoning behind it. I recently, as a minor tweak, doubled the shield bonus of small and large shields in an attempt to make sword and board fighters more viable. The players jumped on it and one of the players centered his new PC around the concept.

Heck, I play in the WLD. There's all sorts of changes to RAW in there - nerfing Web spells, nerfing extradimensional anything, nerfing summoning, no free spells in spellbooks for wizzies, just to name a few. The game's coming up on its one year anniversary and still going strong. Not bad for an online chat game.

So, yeah, player's are usually pretty groovy with changes to core. The odd whinge now and again, but, that's just normal.

Seeker95

First Post
I run a "core only" game. By "core only" I mean that the only books you *know* are accepted are the core PHB / DMG. However, this does not nmean the ruleset is static. It means no supplement, article, WotC or third-party accessory is accepted as "active" without a case-by-case review.

Changes to the ruleset are made in consultation (usually), with little to no resistance. By "little" I mean there is usually a little question as to why.

Odhanan

Adventurer
No. Absolutely not, unless a rule changes at every session or in every particular case, which ticks off some of the players, understandably.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Anyway, I have a ton of changes from the RAW (just look at the aquerra wiki - link below). My players accept it all quite openly, but also point out problems or concerns as we implement changes - which is something I am open to.

paradox42

First Post
My group doesn't adopt any official rules changes until I (the DM) have gotten the book and had the chance to read through the changes; if I don't agree with the changes, or prefer to make different ones, then we go that way. The players are willing to follow my decisions on this sort of thing, because my game is heavily house-ruled anyway. :)

As an example, I've already decided that I won't be changing the polymorph spells as mandated by PHB2, because the old versions were never a problem in my game (despite the presence of two or three fairly brutal powergamers in the group). Frankly, what I've seen of the new versions strikes me as flavorless and tepid by comparison with the old, so I prefer the old and will not be changing them one whit.

Remove ads