Top 10 odd D&D weapons

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oh, yeah, Sword and the Sorcerer tri-blade. Didn't it look like a space shuttle taking off when it fired? That was a crazy, crazy movie. And Lee Horsely is an NPC name if I've ever heard one. :lol:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Those are some weird weapons all right. Then again, using any blade with a lot of flanged culiques is just asking for trouble. Disarm ought to get +10 or something against those. But my biggest pet peeve along this line, since the 3.0 PHB came out, is spiked armor. There's a reason you can't find any in a museum. Several, in fact. It guides an opponent's weapon right to you, not away as armor is supposed to. (Ought to get at least a -1 to AC!) If you whack one of the spikes hard enough with a metal bashing weapon it ought to have a chance to be driven into the wearer's body. And if you fall in the mud, good luck getting back up again.

Rolzup

First Post
Nothing, NOTHING, is as stupid as one of the weapons from Sword and Fist. Can't remember the name of the thing, but it was a sword...with a flail attached to the hilt.

Say what you like about the impracitaclity of the double-bladed sword, it's a least concievable that someone could use it effectively. This sword/flail thing, though...I honestly can't picture how anyone could use it without beating themself unconscious.

Imp

First Post
I dunno, I kind of wish exotic weapons leaned more toward ridiculous and less towards Lame. It's a really big spear! It's a really big pick! It's a really big crossbow! It's a supersized scimitar! A great big halberd! All exotic! Because the die is bigger, don't you see. Exoticness is a function of math!

But on topic and personally, armor spikes are the ones that bug me the most. I shall attack by hurling my target parts at the guy with the spear, and hope a spiky bit hits! Eh. Also the idea of a battlefield full of soldiers body-slamming each other is pretty hilarious. Sort of like the ultimate Ministry video.

All the bouncy throwing weapons are kind of silly, too.

I don't have a problem with boomerangs. At least they're historical. Exaggerate their abilities for a fantasy game, so what? The only thing I don't like about them is you have to decide whether you want them to only function in open spaces or not and that gets annoying.

Kid Socrates

First Post
Rolzup said:
Nothing, NOTHING, is as stupid as one of the weapons from Sword and Fist. Can't remember the name of the thing, but it was a sword...with a flail attached to the hilt.

Say what you like about the impracitaclity of the double-bladed sword, it's a least concievable that someone could use it effectively. This sword/flail thing, though...I honestly can't picture how anyone could use it without beating themself unconscious.

Man, that's just asking for a spiked ball in an uncomfortable area...

As much as I like the Warcraft setting, they have rules for smacking people with totem poles. Yes, I know it was a weapon in the PC RTS, and it's a neat visual, but it still seems so freaking silly.

And that's not even mentioning the glaive, which appears to be sticking three daggers in a circle in a very aerodynamic way, and tossing it in such a way that it starts ping-ponging between your enemies.

I don't know, if I'm throwing something pointy, I'd really rather it not bounce off people, instead of going in. Seems a bit counter-productive.

Rolzup

First Post
Ed_Laprade said:
But my biggest pet peeve along this line, since the 3.0 PHB came out, is spiked armor. There's a reason you can't find any in a museum. Several, in fact. It guides an opponent's weapon right to you, not away as armor is supposed to. (Ought to get at least a -1 to AC!) If you whack one of the spikes hard enough with a metal bashing weapon it ought to have a chance to be driven into the wearer's body. And if you fall in the mud, good luck getting back up again.

I give spiked armor a pass because it's got legendary precedent. Witness the tale of the Lambton Worm....

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Rolzup said:

The gyrspike!

Man, that's odd. So what's the big spear with four spikes projecting out from the base of the spearhead called?

Cheers,
Cam

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Ed_Laprade said:
But my biggest pet peeve along this line, since the 3.0 PHB came out, is spiked armor. There's a reason you can't find any in a museum.

Know what else isn't in a museum? Giants and other critters that can pick up or wrap around someone wearing armor.

Remove ads