Top 10 odd D&D weapons

Christian

Explorer
lukelightning said:
Two-bladed sword made your list but not dire flail!?!?!?

One of my first jokes on the Eric Noah's original boards was that the dire flail was the favored weapon of Goob, the god of self-inflicted head wounds. I cannot imagine how you'd wield this in combat without hurting yourself worse than the enemy ...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
demiurge1138 said:
The duom!

Thassa one!

I'm just going to say for the record that I love the gyrspike. Impractical as hell (okay, somewhat less practical than hell, even), completely nonsensical, but I love it anyway.

I statted out a Gyrspike somewhere where the blade end was an intelligent alchemical silver Holy Axiomatic longsword, and the chain end was an intelligent cold iron Unholy Anarchic flail. I figured the shiny straightness of the blade screamed Lawful Good, while the spiky randomness of the flail epitomised Chaotic Evil :D

-Hyp.

Mad Mac

First Post
Actually, I never thought the Gyrspike was a big deal, assuming you (good advice in general) ignore the picture. A longsword with a short flail attached to the handle is completely useless, granted....but with a longer, weighted chain attached to the hilt you have a weapon that isn't very fundamentally different than the Kusari-gama, which is a real weapon. (Chain with a kama on one end)

Then again, I kinda liked the Orc Shot put, too. There's something inherently appealing about smashing people in the face with an oversized bowling ball and pretending it's a sophisticated cultural combat art. ;)

Monastic Orc Shot-put Master: "When you can snatch the Shot-put from my hand, young stinky bug, you will be ready to leave my tent."

Enthusiastic Pupil: You're On! *Grabs shot-put in two-hands and begins yanking hard.*

"Auuugh! Come on! What'd you do, superglue it to your hands?"

"With Age comes Wisdom and..."

"Seriously, I can see the glue, all over your hands. You friggen nutcase! Arrg! *Plants foot in elders face and begins pulling with all his strength*

"Yesssss, it's coming loose!

"You should have more respect for your elders....*Older Orc kicks pupil viciously in the groin.*

"Ohhhhhh! You dirty, dirty, dwarf loving bastard!" *Drops Shotput from sheer agony and shock. Shotput lands on younger Orcs foot*

"Aiiiiiigh!!!!!"

*Elder Orc stoops to pick up lump of lead, "accidently" rolling it over the pupils other foot in the process*

"For the Love of Grumshh, I give up! Have your stupid ball!" *begins rolling on the ground moaning in agony*

"When you can take the shot-put from my hands, you will be ready to leave my tent."
"Your tent...friggen sucks...smells like rancid Behir Bladder in here"

"Orc who smealt it...dealt it."

"I'm so telling my mom about you...This has got to be Orc child abuse, or something"

"Old Shot-Put master already knows Stinkbugs mother...very well indeed. *Chuckles suggestively*

"....As soon as I'm done bleeding here, you are so dead...Bastard!"

Suddenly, I have the urge to play an Orc Monk...hmmm.

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
Re:Cabers

It was my understanding that cabers (or something like them) were used to break up Roman formations when the Picts were charging them. As well trained as they were, having a 100lb telephone pole land on your head or shield will move your position slightly. With enough cabers you could put some serious holes in a phalanx's front line; which would drastically reduce the effectiveness of that formation.

Of course, maybe that's just me being romantic about how the scots kept the bloody Italians out of their land. Hadrian's wall: Beyond This Point Even Romans Fear To Tread.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with streched supply lines. Nothing at all. ;)

Nyaricus

First Post
The OP made me do it. I went through all of the rulebooks I own. Here we go...

PHB 3.5e
  • Orc Double Axe = double the dumb
  • Spiked Chain = just an odd, odd weapon showcasing the 1337ness of the new addition.
  • Dire Flail = double the dumb
  • Gnome Hooked Hammer = double the dumb
  • Two-Bladed Sword = double the dumb
  • Dwarven Urgrosh = double the dumb
  • and repeating crossbows for being WAY to easy to use

Complete Adventurer
  • Every weapon in it. Basically, they're normal weapons, except BETTER :\

Complete Warrior
  • Gnome Tortoise Blade
  • Dwarven Buckler-Axe
  • Double Hammer
  • And the Boomerang, for it's odd mechanics

And one of the worst offenders:
Savage Species
  • Everything, except for the sharktooth staff, because I could see a primitive island people using that.

That's all for now, but I have a few more books to go through still. I am so not done with this :]

Remove ads