Top 10 odd D&D weapons

Hussar

Legend
Actually, having used a repeating crossbow, they ARE ridiculously easy to use. Granted, they jam all the time, and look nothing like the picture in the book, but, they are easy to use. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Whisper72 said:
Actually, there are some missing.

Why are there no damage values for thrown dwarves??

You're better off throwing halflings. They get a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls when used as a thrown weapon. Plus, they're Light, so your TWF penalties are lower...

-Hyp.

Huw

First Post
No-one's mentioned the gae bolga? AFAIK, this hasn't been updated for 3e yet. It's a spear you throw with your feet and it used to do 1d8 damage (or 1d6/level if you had a certain proficiency from the Celts historical supplement).

Felix said:
Of course, maybe that's just me being romantic about how the scots kept the bloody Italians out of their land.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the Scots were still in Ireland at the time.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Yeah, I was always OK with the spiked armour, thanks to the Lambton Worm story (I'm from Durham and my family live in Chester-le-Street, which is where the Lambtons actually lived).

There is a particularly absurd Dark Sun weapon called the crusher (iirc), which is a huge stone ball on the end of a big, flexible stick. You plant the haft in the ground and then flail the end with the ball back and forward. The stone ball then comes whacking down on any enemies who aren't adjacent to you. I've always wondered how you stop them damn thing once you've gotten some good momentum up...

Like many gamers, I statted up the tri-bladed sword from Sword and the Sorcerer for use in my game (aside: Talon's mother was played by the aunt of a friend of mine). And the glaive from Krull. And the kepa from Beastmaster. And I'd have done Xena's whizzing frizbee of death, too, had that been around when I was 14...

lukelightning said:
Two-bladed sword made your list but not dire flail!?!?!?

I'll add:

Halfling skiprocks.... pebbles that both do lethal damage and defy physics!

Boomerangs. They don't work that way. Boomerangs are not effective weapons; the hunting boomerangs used by Australian aborigines were not technically boomerangs (in that they don't have a curved path and just go straight when you throw them...which is what you want a thrown weapon to do).
I believe even the non-returning kind is called boomerang (what would be the alternative: curved throwing stick?) ). I read that boomerangs used to hunt small birds actually return - if they miss their intented target.

The D20 rules (in Eberron, at least) seem to be "relatively" realistic in that regard - on a hit, they don't return.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I designed some weapons for the Sahasra mythos for DogSoul Publishing and was surprised to see some of the strange weapons from Indian hindu lore.

The whip dagger wasn't used, but they did have a knife that they would tie to the end of a rope or cord. They would spin the rope and approach an enemy, either slicing him during the spin, or whipping it with a hand motion so the blade headed right for the victim.

Although they didn't use antler's, they did use something called Fakir's Horns that could be connected to a shield. These were natural spear weapons and pretty sharp (perfect for druids in DnD). When a buckler/shield was connected to the spear of the horns, you wouldn't lose the weapon as long as you could hold onto the shield. When connected they would be called a Madu. I worked them in the .pdf. Another version of using the weapons from an animal was a crutch that older men could use as a bludgeon weapon, but that had another name. I think it was Fakir's crutches. I didn't use these as I felt that they wouldn't be as well liked as some of the other weapons.

They didn't have scorpion claws, but they did have a hand weapon that looked like brass knuckles with small blades attached. These were called Bagh Nakh or Tiger's Claws. I included them in the .pdf I did for Dog Soul.

Finally, they did use two-bladed swords during the day. They also created a dagger with two or three blades, which I also used in a .pdf. It was called a haladie. Check out this website that I used to help with my research:
http://www.hindunet.org/saraswati/indianarms.htm

Bront

The man with the probe
Yeah, I've heard of a dagger with several points. The idea was you could throw it and always hit the enemy with a bladed end.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mad Mac said:
"Seriously, I can see the glue, all over your hands. You friggen nutcase! Arrg! *Plants foot in elders face and begins pulling with all his strength*
You have the best post:funny ratio on this site. :D

Remove ads