Advice on Supplements for a d20 Future Game

lkj

Hero
Hey folks,
I'm gathering some materials to put together a d20 future game. I've looked over the stickied thread (very useful), but I still had a couple questions for you experts out there. I've just picked up the d20 Modern book, d20 Future, d20 Future Tech, d20 Cybersscaoe, and d20 Apocalypse. I'll probably also pick up Dawning Star as a possible campaign setting or at least to mine for ideas.

So, I'm pretty much at the end of my gaming budget for the next several months if not longer. But I was wondering if there are other key books I may need. Should I get the Menace Manual? Would I want the d20 Weapons Locker? I don't know that I could afford to get both or even one, but I'd like to at least see what by list of 'to buy eventually when I'm less poor' is.

What else might go on that list? I realize that it will depend somewhat on the campaign, but I'm still working that out (obviously). Just looking for advice.

Thanks for the help.

AD

Psion

Adventurer
lkj said:
So, I'm pretty much at the end of my gaming budget for the next several months if not longer. But I was wondering if there are other key books I may need. Should I get the Menace Manual?

Yes. Get the menace manual. It is awesome.

Would I want the d20 Weapons Locker? I don't know that I could afford to get both or even one, but I'd like to at least see what by list of 'to buy eventually when I'm less poor' is.

No. Do not get the weapons locker. It is not awesome. If you want a modern weapons book, get ultramodern firearms. But probably not the greatest for futuristic weapons.

What else might go on that list? I realize that it will depend somewhat on the campaign, but I'm still working that out (obviously). Just looking for advice.

For futuristic fare, if you like gadgetry, I recommend Blood & Circuits. It's got a nifty little gadget building section.

Blood & Circuits: Cybernetics extends that system to Cybergear if you want that in your game.

Finally, for the price that you would spend on weapons locker (less, actually), you could get the whole blood & space II bundle over at RPGnow:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=5937&

Raylis

First Post
The meanace manual has some good stuff. As far as buying a campaign setting you may want to hold off until Dark*Matter comes out in September that looks pretty sweet

lkj

Hero
Psion-- Thanks for the tips. I may well pick up at least one or two of those RPGObjects pdfs.

Raylis-- I'm not familiar with Dark*Matter. I know it was from the old Alternity game (with which I'm also unfamiliar), but is it more of 'modern' rather than a 'future' setting? Wasn't entirely clear from the description I saw at WotC, other than it only mentions the Modern book.

Thanks again for the help. It's much appreciated.

AD

Stormborn

Explorer
I know you are still working out the campaign setting,but any ideas on what genre it might be? Near Future? Far Future? Unrecognizable hi tech world? Apocolyptic future? Star Ships?

Perhaps give us some reference from Pop Culture that are inspiring you and we may be able to help you coble somethign to gether. (Unfortunately there are at least two campaign settings that I could mention but cannot mention do to NDAs.)

Glad you're considering Dawning Star. If you haven't done so already, check out our website. We've got a ton of free downloads (free adventure, sample PCs, an entire chapter from Helios Rising) and an active message board, where people post all sorts of useful material. Helios Rising should be out shortly, and I'd be shocked if that didn't satisfy your d20 Future needs for quite some time.

As for the other books, I think Menace Manual and Weapons Locker are overrated for a d20 Future campaign. Menace Manual an excellent book, but not really geared to a sci-fi setting. You'd do just as well using the D&D Monster Manual and stripping out the familiar names and changing a few of the details. Similarly, Weapons Locker has a lot of equipment that just won't find a place in a sci-fi campaign. Since you've got Future Tech, I can't recommend WL at all.

lkj

Hero
Stormborn said:
I know you are still working out the campaign setting,but any ideas on what genre it might be? Near Future? Far Future? Unrecognizable hi tech world? Apocolyptic future? Star Ships?

Perhaps give us some reference from Pop Culture that are inspiring you and we may be able to help you coble somethign to gether. (Unfortunately there are at least two campaign settings that I could mention but cannot mention do to NDAs.)

I'm definitely picturing starships. I'm debating the tech level. Scanning through the PL's, I'd say obviously something 6 or above. I imagine starship battles, exploration of alien worlds etc. I also see at least some use of energy weaopns. I don't know that I necessarily need the ability to jump all over the galaxy-- so Dawning Star being in one solar system is probably fine-- but I wouldn't rule out longer range travel. I picked up d20 Apocalypse more with the idea of adventurers visiting such a world rather than growing up in it. I'm sort of thinking a PL6/PL7 environment with access to the higher power stuff as remnants of another civilization or some such. More gritty than Star Trek. Maybe more like Star Wars, sans the mythology.

As you can see, I'm still all over the place, but perhaps that gives a better idea. I do really appreciate the input. I've run a LOT of medieval fantasy, but very little in the way of scifi (other than reading through some Star Frontiers many years ago).

As for those NDA's-- you taunt! :)

AD

Last edited:

lkj

Hero
Justin D. Jacobson said:
Glad you're considering Dawning Star. If you haven't done so already, check out our website. We've got a ton of free downloads (free adventure, sample PCs, an entire chapter from Helios Rising) and an active message board, where people post all sorts of useful material. Helios Rising should be out shortly, and I'd be shocked if that didn't satisfy your d20 Future needs for quite some time.

As for the other books, I think Menace Manual and Weapons Locker are overrated for a d20 Future campaign. Menace Manual an excellent book, but not really geared to a sci-fi setting. You'd do just as well using the D&D Monster Manual and stripping out the familiar names and changing a few of the details. Similarly, Weapons Locker has a lot of equipment that just won't find a place in a sci-fi campaign. Since you've got Future Tech, I can't recommend WL at all.

I've taken a look at the website, and I like what I see. I'll check out the message board when I get a chance. I must admit to some curiousity as to how much Helios Rising will sell for, pdf and otherwise. Dawning Star does look like a very cool setting, and it's definitely high in the running. I prefer in general to do homebrews, but my spare time is pretty minimal these days. I have a tendency to do a lot of background development that players never see.

Thanks for the tips on the Menace Manual and the Weapons Locker. I'll just ditch the WL and maybe browse through the Menace Manual before I decide. The Monster Manual tip is a good one.

Again, I appreciate the help.

AD

Last edited:

Masada

First Post
Also check out the d20 Modern Resources list (below).

On that list is complete (and free) PDF's for Aliens, Predator and Terminator settings--good for free bad guys and gear if nothing else. There is also several entire campaign settings--Nova Wars and Amethyst come to mind. MODERNIZED publish a few future nuggets--it is also a free download. There are also half a dozen links to starship schematics (not always in a useful scale, but hey it's free).

Another great resource for NPC's and ideas are the many play-by-post forums. You can whole-cloth steal the post PC's and often setting information. Enworld hosts a forum site as well Intrepid Heroes and about 3 others I've forgotten.

There are other crafty tricks you can pull on players. Like grab your dusty old D&D dungeon module. Where it says "goblin" insert "wandering droid", bows are blasters and swords are vibro-blades. The dungeon map is actually the interior of a floating space wreck. Instant future module.

Of course with your current purchase list and the literally hundreds of pages of free stuff, you should be busy for at least year of game sessions.

Remove ads