Best D20 Space Games (not fantasy)

I don't think Stars without Number is d20 based but it's pretty close as an OSR game and I've heard good things.
Stars Without Number is good, though I feel like there's probably some design improvements from Worlds/Cities Without Number that could be backported into it.

You are correct that it's not d20 though - it uses d20 for attacks etc. like D&D, but 2d6 for skill resolution and so on. It does however actually work a lot better than most d20 systems for skill checks as a result! Soz d20s, you're not suited to all tasks!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Did you ever play or GM a d20 Future game (assuming you mean the 3.x derivation)?

If you're looking for straight-up Sci-Fi d20 games, from the 3.x era there are a few. Traveller d20, and Fading Suns d20 aren't bad ports of the original settings/systems, though I think the originals are better.

For the 5e era, the best I can do is link you to DriveThruRPG
I played a d20 future game and liked it a lot. I'm just concerned it didn't have much support.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Then your GM did a GREAT job of working around the system's limitations. After GMing a mixed D&D/d20 Future game, I swore I'd never do that again - Dragonspace is a much better mechanical fit. It's also a straight-up D&D-in-space, which is why I didn't mention it earlier.

d20 Future also had a large number of other problems - almost all of which were GM-facing. So again, kudos to your GM.

aramis erak

Legend
SG1 by Wyvern. levels 1-5 advance like normal in one of the 6 classes; after that, you instead direct buy feats and skills directly, and level goes up after so much spent. It's not perfect, but it's damned good, and I have run a campaign of it.

Traveller T20. It is primarily designed to do the Official Traveller Universe, but with changes to the meaning of the drive ratings, can be used for others. It includes prior service character gen, which means not everyone is the same level. Development stopped in 2008.

Potential bias warning: you'll find me in the credits for T20 under "Lead Playtesters" - Hunter Gordon's code name for "unpaid assistant developers"

Bluenose

Adventurer
Traveller T20. It is primarily designed to do the Official Traveller Universe, but with changes to the meaning of the drive ratings, can be used for others. It includes prior service character gen, which means not everyone is the same level. Development stopped in 2008.
Quiklink Interactive turned the system without the OTU references into SciFi20 - although I don't think it really got much support. You can still get it on DriveThru. No idea how good it was though.

Theory of Games

Disaffected Game Warrior
Stars Without Number is awesome along with Star Wars 5e.

giphy.gif

Mistwell

Then your GM did a GREAT job of working around the system's limitations. After GMing a mixed D&D/d20 Future game, I swore I'd never do that again - Dragonspace is a much better mechanical fit. It's also a straight-up D&D-in-space, which is why I didn't mention it earlier.

d20 Future also had a large number of other problems - almost all of which were GM-facing. So again, kudos to your GM.
For what it is worth I liked d20 Modern too, and own that.

Mistwell

I found a copy of d20 Future for under $20 so ordered that just to check it out. Sounds like it's not a great game but I figured worth a read at least.

Remove ads