(Eberron) Atavist: The Secret War

ByteRynn

First Post
The Dreaming Dark's Inspired agents have just stepped up their activities in Sharn. Sarlonan outposts are cropping up in Xen'drick. More and more governments of Khorvaire have gained strange advisors who suddenly find themselves in very influential positions.

It is not a good day to be a Kalashtar.

But the Kalashtar have discovered a ritual. The ritual of six. A ritual that will enable six of their youngest and finest to truly embrace the gestahlt nature of their race and bring the fight to the Dreaming Dark.

I want to run an Eberron game, it will be a gestahlt game and a psionic game. Character creation rules will be fairly limited. If you want to play Kalashtar, like psionics, and enjoy Eberron, then I want you in my game.

Creation Guidlines:

6st level
Gestahlt rules from UA
Races: Kalashtar Only
Classes: One class will be either Monk or Soulknife for 5 levels and then your first level of Atavist (this means you must have 8 levels of Concentration and be LN or LG). Feel free to run any Kalashtar Monk our Soulknife variant from an official WotC source.
The other half of your Gehstalht is any class that grants Manifester levels (Psion, Psychic Warrior, Wilder, Ardent, Divine Mind, or Lurk). I may also consider a Psionic Artificer for this half of the class instead of a manifester. No no other classes allowed.
Stats: 34 point buy.
HP: Max at 1st, 3/4 round down at each other level.
BAB/Saves: I am using fractional saves/BAB
Powers: XPH, CPsi, and Eberron products only
Feats: XPH, CPsi, and Eberron products automatically allowed. Any other WOtC source on a case-by-case basis. No non-WotC sources.
Gear: as DMG 6th level characters (13,000 gp)

Obviously there are only 14 class combinations possible for this game, so submissions may not be very varied. That's fine. I am mostly looking for well put together characters and good writing ability.

Since the 6 students will have all trained together in Sharn, I would like you incude in your backstory one training session/early mission the six of you undertook, and how it affected your training.

I will select the final entries into this game at the end of the month. If there is a ton of interest (and I am not sure that there will be with this much limit to the character guidlines) I may run two parties.

Last edited:

Dracomeander

First Post
This sounds just like the type of game I would be interested in except I had never even considered trying gestalt rules. I have been trying to get my local groups to try a campaign against the Inspired and the Dreaming Dark since they adopted Eberron for our campaign worlds, but neither group is particularly oriented or suited to intrigue style campaigns.

Unfortunately, you are posting the sign-up the day before I leave on vacation. I can come up with a character concept, but not a fully developed background and character before you close recruiting. I get back from vacation on Sept 5th and don't have 'Net access while I'm gone.

The concept I have just off the top of my head would be a Psion (Kineticist)/ Soulknife with the Aggressive Atavist Spirit. He would be the child of a pair of Shadow Watchers just itching for a chance to disrupt the activities of the Dreaming Dark and the Inspired of Riedra.

NapoleonicSoup

First Post
Here's the Finished Product-http://www.sylnae.net/3eprofiler/view.php?id=32872
I didn't really know much about the kalashtar backstory before, so I'm changing mine.
Corharath was abandond as a child, for what reason he still doesn't know. He assumes that his parents were killed, as he knew no Kalshtar would give up another, especially from their own lineage. he wandered around Khorvaire, miraculously reaching Sharn at one point. He didn't know who the Illuminated were, he just knew he was hungry, and Sharn seemed like it had plenty of food. One of the minions of the Dreaming Dark found him before any other Kalashtar, and laughed in glee as he was about to kill one of his hated enemie. Luckily, the shadowblade who had been tracking this evil minion sprng into Action before Corharath got hurt. The shadowblade brought him to be trained in the war against the Dreaming Dark, an after several missions he ened up being called by the elders for something special.

Kaodi

Hero
Let Us See...

Well, I'm not really sure that the whole " PbP " thing is for me, though I have put in an application for a solo Eberron game. That aside, your concept of gestalt Atavists was quite intriguing, and I made up some stats for a lawful good male (soulblade/atavist)/psychic warrior, an aggressive of the line of Serath.

I don't know that I would really want to play in a PbP with five other people, but I'd like to show you the stats anyway.

Khanserath
male kalashtar gestalt (soulblade 5/atavist 1)/psychic warrior 6, lawful good
str 14 dex 14 con 14 int 12 wis 16 cha 12
skills: autohypnosis +9, balance +5, climb +5, concentration +11, hide +6, jump +5, knowledge (history) +2, knowledge (psionics) +6, knowledge (the planes) +2, listen +5, move silently +6, tumble +5, search +2, spot +5
feats: gestalt anchor, heroic focus, psionic body, psionic luck, psionic meditation, strength of two, weapon focus (mindblade)
powers (28 pp): 1 - detect psionics, intertial armour, prevenom weapon 2 - body adjustment, dimension swap, dissolving weapon
hp: 64
special abilities: as soulblade 5, atavist 1

Watus

First Post
Count me in! I'm an Eberron newb, but I just picked up the Races book and this looks really interesting. And I do loves me some psionics.

So I'm thinking maybe Monk/Seer or Monk/Telepath with either an Insightful or Sociable lineage and a concentration on support powers rather than loading up on offense.

Watus

First Post
I'm unsure of some of the details of the background - these students were obviously subject to some special training, but I'm curious about the details. How long have they been training? Their whole lives? I'd also be interested to hear more about the ritual.

In any case, the character is still in process, but here's what I have so far:

[SBLOCK=Malkhad]Male Kalashtar Gestalt Telepath 6 / (Monk 5 / Atavist 1)
Medium Humanoid (Psionic)

HD 8+4d8+1d10+6; hp 45
Init +2; Spd 40 ft/x4

Strength 10 (+0) [2 pts]
Dexterity 16 (+3) [6 pts, +2 Item]
Constitution 12 (+1) [4 pts]
Intelligence 19 (+4) [10 pts, +1 lvl, +2 Item]
Wisdom 14 (+2) [6 pts]
Charisma 14 (+2) [6 pts]

AC 18 (+3 dex, +2 Wis, +1 Monk, +1 Deflection, +1 Natural Armor), touch 18, flat-footed 15;
Base Atk/Grapple +3/+3
* Unarmed +6 melee (1d8/x2)

SA&SQ Call to Mind, Compound Psicrystal, Evasion, Extra Powers Known, Fast Movement, Ki strike (magic), Mindlink (Ps), Psychic Insight, Purity of Body, Racial Abilities, Slow Fall, Spiritual Lineage (sociable), Still Mind, Telepathic Talent

AL LG
SV Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +8

Skills
* Balance +6 (3 ranks, +3 Dex)
* Bluff +8 (4 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 Race)
* Concentration +10 (9 ranks, +1 Con)
* Diplomacy +14 (5 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 Race, +3 Psicrystal, +2 Synergy)
* Gather Information +6 (4 ranks, +2 Cha)
* Hide +7 (4 ranks, +3 Dex)
* Intimidate +4 (0 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 Race)
* Listen +4 (0 ranks, +2 Wis, +2 Feat)
* Knowledge (psionics) +8 (4 ranks, +4 Int)
* Move Silently +7 (4 ranks, +3 Dex)
* Perform (dance) +4 (2 ranks, +2 Cha)
* Psicraft +13 (9 ranks, +4 Int)
* Sense Motive +14 (9 ranks, +2 Wis, +3 Psicrystal)
* Spot +4 (0 ranks, +2 Wis, +2 Feat)
* Tumble +7 (4 ranks, +3 Dex)

Feats
* Alertness (when in presence of psicrystal)
* Gestalt Anchor
* Improved Unarmed Strike
* Psicrystal Affinity (Sympathetic, Friendly)
* Psionic Endowment
* Stunning Fist (5x/day, DC 15)
* Weapon Finesse

Equipment 13,000gp 12,000 spent
* +1 Ring of Protection (2000 gp)
* +1 Amulet of Natural Armor (2000 gp)
* +2 Gloves of Dexterity (4000 gp)
* +2 Headband of Intellect (4000 gp)

Powers (53pp, Manifester Lvl 6, Power Save +4)
1 (DC 15; 1pp) - Conceal Thoughts, Detect Psionics, Intertial Armor, Psionic Charm, Telempathic Projection
2 (DC 16; 3pp) - Forced Sense Link, Psionic Suggestion, Psionic Tongues, Read Thoughts
3 (DC 17; 5pp) - Crisis of Breath, Dispel Psionics, False Sensory Input, Hostile Empathic Transfer, Touchsight

Call to Mind (Ps):
At 1st level, you gain the ability to use the psionic power call to mind three times per day, with the manifester level euqal to your atavist level.

Compound psicrystal (Ex):
Like the kalashtar race itself, the psicrystal of a kalshtar telpath manifests a hybrid nature. A 3rd-level kalashtar telepath can choose two different personalities for his psicrystal and gains the benefits of both personalities simultaneously. A kalashtur telepath can even choose Sage as both personalities, but must select different knowledge skills for each. If he does not have a psicrystal, this ability has no effect until the telpath gains one. This substition feature replaces of the on known powers gained by a standard telepath at 3rd level. From this point on a kalashtar telepath knows one less power than the number given on table...

Evasion (Ex):
At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Extra powers known:
A 5th-level kalashtar telepath can add any two telepathy discipline powers of 3rd level or lower to his list of powers known. These powers do not count against his limit on powers known. This substitution feature replaces the bonus feat gained by a standard telepath at 5th level.

Fast Movement (Ex):
At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Monk. A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Ki Strike (magic) (Su):
At 4th level, a monk’s unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s monk level.

Mindlink (Ps):
If a kalashtar telepath selects at least one kalashtar telepath substitution level, he can manifest his racial minlink power as a wilder of a level equal to his Hit dice (rather than 1/2 his HD). As well, each time the character selects a kalashtar telepath substitution level, he gains the ability manifest his racial mindlink power one additional time per day, to a maximum of four times per day if he selects all three racial substitution levels.

Purity of Body (Ex):
At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.

Racial Abilities:
* Base land speed of 30 feet.
* +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind affecting spells and abilities, and possession.
* +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy,and Intimidate checks.
* +2 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a human.
* You sleep but do not dream. You are immune to the dream and nightmare spells, as well as any other effect that relies on your ability to dream.
* Naturally Psionic: Kalashtar gain 1 extra power point per character level, regardless of whether they choose a psionic class.
* Psi-Like Abilities: Mindlink (4/day). This ability is like the power manifested by a wilder of level 6.

Slow Fall (Ex):
At 4th level or higher, a monk within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow her descent. When first using this ability, she takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is.

Spiritual Lineage:
You gain a strong bond with your linked quariy spirit's personality, intially affecting your list of class skills, then granting additonal powers based on the quari spirit's personality trait. The four basic personality traints are listed below. you must choose one trait at 1st level, and this choice can never be changed later.
* Sociable: Your quori spirit is friendly and has a talent for evaluating others. bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive are class skills for you.

Still Mind (Ex):
A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.

Telepathic Talent (Ex):
Whenever a kalashtar telepath manifests a power from the telepathy discipline, he can treat his manifester level as one higher than normal. (this does not apply to all telepathy powers, just those specifically included in the telpathy discipline). This substition feature replaces the standard telepath's bonus feat gained at 1st level.

Description & History:
In process...

[SBLOCK=Advancement]
Lvl 1 [Monk / Telepath]
HD d8; hp 9 [Monk]
BAB +0 [Monk]
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2 [Monk]
Skills 28 pts [Monk]
* Balance 2 ranks
* Bluff 2 ranks
* Concentration 4 ranks
* Diplomacy 2 ranks
* Hide 1 rank
* Knowledge (psionics) 4 ranks
* Move Silently 1 rank
* Perform (dance) 2 ranks
* Psicraft 4 ranks
* Sense Motive 4 ranks
* Tumble 2 ranks
Feats
* Weapon Finesse [Lvl 1]
Features
* Psychic Insight [Kalashtar Monk subsitution level]
* Stunning Fist [Monk bonus feat]
* Improved Unarmed Strike [Monk bonus feat]
* Telepathy Talent [Kalashtar Psion substition level]
* Mindlink (Ps) [Kalashtar Psion substition level]
Powers (4pp)
* Charm, Psionic
* Intertial Armor
* Telempathic Projection

Lvl 2 [Monk / Telepath]
HD d8; hp 9+7=16 [Monk]
BAB +1 [Monk]
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 [Monk]
Skills 7 pts [Monk]
* Concentration +1 rank
* Diplomacy +1 rank
* Hide +1 rank
* Move silently +2 ranks
* Psicraft +1 rank
* Sense Motive +1 rank
Features
* Psicrystal Affinity [Kalashtar Monk substitution level bonus feat]
* Evasion [Monk]
Powers (11pp)
* Conceal Thoughts
* Detect Psionics

Lvl 3 [Monk / Telepath]
HD d8; hp 16+7=23
BAB +2 [Monk]
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 [Monk]
Skill 7 pts [Monk]
* Bluff +1 rank
* Concentration +1 rank
* Hide +2 rank
* Move silently +1 ranks
* Psicraft +1 rank
* Sense Motive +1 rank
Feats
* Gestalt Anchor
Features
* Still Mind [Monk]
* Fast Movement [Monk]
* Compound Psicrystal [Kalashtar Psion substition level] [-1 2nd lvl power]
Powers (18pp)
* Read Thoughts

Lvl 4 [Monk / Telepath]
HD d8; hp 23+7=30
BAB +3 [Monk]
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +4 [Monk]
Skills 7 pts [Monk]
* Bluff +2 ranks
* Concentration +1 rank
* Psicraft +1 rank
* Sense Motive +1 rank
* Tumble +2 ranks
Features
* Ki strike (magic) [Monk]
* Slow fall 20 ft. [Monk]
Ability Bonus
+1 Int
Powers (27pp)
* Suggestion, Psionic
* Tongues, Psionic

Lvl 5 [Monk / Telepath]
HD d8; hp 30+7=37
BAB +3 [Monk]
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +4 [Monk]
Skill 7 pts [Monk]
* Concentration +1 rank
* Diplomacy +2 ranks
* Psicraft +1 rank
* Sense Motive +1 rank
* Tumble +2 ranks
Features
* Purity of Body [Monk]
* Extra Powers Known [Kalashtar Psion substition level]
Powers (37pp)
* Crisis of Breath
* Empathic Transfer, Hostile
* Sense Link, Forced
* Touchsight

Lvl 6 [Atavist / Telepath]
HD d10; 37+8=45
BAB +3 [Atavist]
Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +6 [Atavist]
Skills 7 pts [Atavist]
* Concentration +1 rank
* Gather Information +4 ranks
* Psicraft +1 rank
* Sense Motive +1 rank
Feats
* Psionic Endowment
Features
* Call to Mind [Atavist]
* Spiritual Lineage (sociable) [Atavist]
* Unarmed Strike Improvement
Powers (50pp)
* Dispel Psionics
* False Sensory Input

[/SBLOCK][/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I really like the concept behind this game, and the gestalt option makes for some very interesting synergies.

I may have to try some options from Complete Psionics...maybe that positive energy soulknife... HURM.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases