What are some good character ideas for Age of Worms?

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
I've been invited to play in an Age of Worms game, and am thinking about what type of PC to play. I don't play a lot of pre-written modules in general, so I'm not really used to fitting my PC into the plot instead of the other way 'round. But that's what I want to do here. What sort of character classes or PC motivations would fit well with the adventure?

I'm going to sit down with the DM and talk shop soon, of course, and I know that you folks can't substitute for the DM when talking plot. But I'd like to get some initial thoughts on the subject, so I'm asking you guys anyway. Mostly about what character classes would be good, I guess.

For example, a game with a lot of dungeon delving needs a rogue to find traps. (I'm kind of thinking an Indiana Jones-type rogue would work well, though of course rogues don't get Knowledge as a class skill, and D&D is not Indy-type pulp.) On the other hand, a game with lots of undead (as AoW presumably is) makes rogues kind of useless, and suggests paladins or clerics would be good. Campaigns in cities or dungeons make druids less appropriate.

So: going into AoW, does any of that stuff recommend me to one character class over another?

-C.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Well,

Yes there is a significant undead focus but it's not enough to make a rogue useless by any stretch. If your DM is willing ask for the Diamond Lake details including all the stuff from the Age of Worms Overload PDF. Their are lots of interesting hooks to base a character off of. Some of the ideas I toyed with before making my own character for the campaign include:

Paladin of Wee Jas - Fun to play the holy warrior with a darker slant.
Kobold Ninja - The monestary of Xan Yae makes for an interesting origin for shadowy characters.
Dwarven "Spelunker" Ranger - It's a mining town so this fits right in. My idea included dual-weilded picks.
Elven Dread Necromancer - if you can't beat'em join'em. A totally different twist on handling the undead.

But really just about any idea can work.

Jack

P.S. I finally settled on a Paladin of St. Cuthbert because I wanted to play a more straight laced Paladin but not the "shining example" of Heironious. It also means I get to roleplay counterpoint to the nut jar head priest of St. Cuthbert.

Last edited:

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

In the Age of Worms campaign I am running, we have one Bard, Two Clerics (ya unbelievable huh?), A Dwarven Monk, A Scout/Psion, so the The Clerics are not only the Healers, they are the frontline guys in combats, heck it took three tries for the players to defeat the Beetle swarm, their rallying cry: "Run Away!"

Anyway, I'd say a Bard is very important in the Age of Worms campaign just because he can dig up alot of good tid bits on the campaigns back round. A fighter I think is essential if you dont want to keep having to run from combat everytime you run into something that really tough. A rogue is needed but it wont make or break the game, if a DM is feeling generous, he might have give the Bard Rogue skills at a higher exp cost.

Scott

I'm about to start DMing the series for two groups. The first group will probably be:
- dwarf cleric
- human rogue
- human sorcerer
- human ranger

And the second:
- elf scout
- elf favored soul
- elf warmage

I read through the first 2 adventures, and by the looks of it, they're going to be quite lacking in the melee department. Oh well, live (or die) and learn, they will.

AR

Last edited:

Rpjunkie

First Post
I have played through to the Spire of the Long shadow. A good mage is a very nice, i think the undead are just freaking nasty. I am playing a cleric of Lathander in Forgotten realms and even with all of the extra turning and boonies against undead, i still cant turn most of them because of HD or Turn resistance. Personally i would go with wizard or sorcerer and just blast stuff to dust.

RPJ

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
There's a rogue/cleric PrC in the Miniatures Handbook that lets you sneak attack undead. I believe there's also a feat or spell in Complete Divine that lets you SA undead.

broghammerj

Explorer
Jack of Shadows said:
Dwarven "Spelunker" Ranger - It's a mining town so this fits right in. My idea included dual-weilded picks.

By golly, you must have heard of the world reknown Theros Rockspiltter. Currently Ranger5/Fighter4 with dual pick wielding action! The mining aspect makes for some good role playing opportunities early in the adventure. There is plenty of dungeoneering types roles to fill and the overall combat abilities make the character useful in later above ground adventures.

It's been a cool character to run and this is from a guy who usually gets bored with fighter types. The pick doesn't seem to do too much damage until you magic them up a bit and add some reasonable strength bonus. Always remember the x4 crit roll is very deadly.

Graf

Explorer
You’re in for a treat!
We’re still maybe a quarter of the way though it but we’re having an awesome time so far.

I’m playing a favored soul (and sorc 1) in our age of worms game.
I’m kinda sub-optimal in combat in terms of damage dealing but using the Vigor spells from Complete Divine I can pump out a lot of healing.

And roleplaying wise it’s awesome. I’ve picked a tragic background where the (chronically self absorbed) character is overcome by guilt over past actions and mildly delusional. He splits his time between wallowing in self-pity (mostly off camera) and egging people on to “stop the coming darkness”.
The rest of the party are mercenary types (75% amoral, 25% moral) and having at least one character who’s convinced that this is a “holy mission” really helps the game move along.

Incidentally we have always had at least two rogues in the party and it’s gone reasonably well; one of them has been responsible for maybe 50% of the killing shots, the other (a mixed sword-sage, rogue) was probably MVP last session.

In summary: the campaign is a bit like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. It’s dark, it’s gritty, there are no fairy princesses to be rescued. Characters who are optimized to roleplay in a gritty morally challenged sort of setting will probably be do well.
Somebody who’s got some sort of desire to stop evil, help people, or beef against the undead is going to be key from a roleplaying standpoint.

Other than that expect to be challenged and need good teamwork but (other than general party balance roles) don’t worry too much about what classes people are playing.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yeah emphasis team work abilities a lot and also be sure to help out where you can. Specializing isn't bad, but it can be a hindrance. Undead blowing up is probably 85% useful.

Me I'd make a Ninja like Naruto or Kakashi. ;) Barring that try Tome of Battle's classes. They're might be something in there you might like.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases