What are some good character ideas for Age of Worms?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
FrostedMini1337 said:
Threadjack: is this a whole book? This sounds sweet. Is it Wotc official? Can I get a link?

Age of Worms

It's about as WotC official as Kenzer's Kingdoms of Kalamar or some other Dungeon module. :p :) Just happens to be VERY cool. :p :)

Nightfall

Yeah RSoP is a viable choice. Of course it's not going to give you that great an advantage but it will certainly be better than straight cleric in some ways.

Btw beware of an undead Dragon. :p :)

Hi Chiaroscuro23,

I'm currently DMing this (almost up to the 5th module) and would actually recommend going with your own inclinations rather than the other way around. I currently have 7 players with a wide spectrum of play styles and classes. Any class will have an opportunity to shine so I would not worry about trying to fit in. Let your DM give you some ideas (given the starting location and history) and you'll come up with something you like the idea of.

If you are after a more effective character class, I don't think you can go past the big three: wizard, cleric ro druid. All are viable in one way or another.

My group's roster has gone like this:
- Wizard
- Fighter/Tempest
- Cleric of Heironeous
- Paladin of Heironeous (deceased) replaced with
- Druid (left the party) replaced with
- Cleric/ Stormlord
- Scout deceased, eventually brough back but momentarily replaced with
- Ranger (who left the game with druid)
- Fighter (who is just about to start taking levels in bard)
- Cleric/Rogue deceased replaced with
- Rogue/Fighter

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Nightfall

*chuckles* I like the number of deceasements you have Herr. ;) But weird you have some leaving though. I guess they figured "This job isn't paying enough!" :p :)

Nightfall said:
*chuckles* I like the number of deceasements you have Herr. ;) But weird you have some leaving though. I guess they figured "This job isn't paying enough!" :p :)
From other reports I have seen, this death toll is actually pretty light. :D

The Druid and Ranger were getting the hell outta Dodge. They were figuring, "it's not worth hanging around this damnable wizard one minute longer". That and the fact the group had unwittingly set off an apocalypse in the Mistmarsh. The Druid and Ranger figured they would stay in the marsh to try and limit the damage. It ended up being well roleplayed but I can't imagine them having a bar of the wizard any longer anyway (a lot of friction developed between the Druid and Wizard).

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Nightfall

Herr,

True but I prefer to see a light amount in the beginning before moving towards the middle. Shadows of Long Spire man. I see much death there.

Interesting about the druid and the ranger though. I guess when your wizard isn't quite doing his job (or at least causing friction), it can be quite troublesome.

I wish them luck on the Mistmarch...but I don't see it ending well. Did it end well?

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

I often play primary spellcasters, so I think I might get away from that for this game. I'm thinking maybe a warrior could be fun. I was talking to my wife about it last night, and playing with the "spelunker" idea I was thinking about an adrenaline junky who was always taking big risks, doing free climbing and stuff. Probably multiclass ranger and barbarian, put lots of points into jump, climb, and such. She pointed out that if I did so I'd have to endure regular jokes about being "X-TREEM!!1!!", Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle quotes, and the like. Good point, says I, and that idea is dropped.

So I'm thinking maybe paladin. There's a class I haven't played in 3e yet. Maybe a peasant background. Guy from Diamond Lake who sees St. Cuthbert or Heironymous in a vision, maybe getting his first spontaneous healing powers to save himself or another miner in a cave-in, and is driven by his vision to go fight evil in a holy quest. I'm told the adventure hooks in AoW are pretty weak, so a questing type mentality might work well.

But I still have plenty of time to think it over. Not sure I like that idea, yet.

-C.

blargney the second said:
There's a rogue/cleric PrC in the Miniatures Handbook that lets you sneak attack undead.

Skullclan Hunter. I'm running one now in AoW and it works quite well. There are a couple of "builds" I came up with, but they all depend on the makeup of the rest of the group.

Remove ads