PHB2: Duskblade

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
KO, RA? any feedback or votes on this one?
Are we using the strict reading on the Full Attack channeling where you can only affect each opponent once with the channeled spell, and therefore you need to attack several guys to unleash the full potential? The Duskblade is a slightly-more-powerful-than-usual but balanced class with that reading, but without it, it can get a tad ridiculous at times and may be pushed over the edge, so I'd have to think about it.

Erekose13

Explorer
I didn't think that there was a different reading on this ability than the one I had gotten from it, but I guess there is. Having gone and researched the arguement a bit on the boards I think I have been swayed. At first I was going to post 'heck no' but now I'm definitely leaning towards 'um yeah'.

The other question I saw this ability raise is will tripping/grappling etc allow you to trigger your spell. The strict reading is that you have to hit, nothing is said about damaging your opponent.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'd say no on tripping, just a normal weapon attack.

I will admit I'm a bit hesitant on my Yes (I know I gave it, but it was begrugingly). The Duskblade, the more I look at it, is high on the power scale. Realy, I think it'd be perfect if it was not full BAB, like the Psy-War, and full BAB and high spell counts make it abusive with the Arcane Strike feat.

In fact, I'm going to take back my yes for the moment and consider it more. I'd like some more discussion on it. RA seems conflicted as well, and I'd like some more examples of why.

Erekose13

Explorer
I'd love to get a chance to see it in action. The one time I've seen someone take something in it, it was only 1 level out of 9.

Bront

The man with the probe
Another thought...and I guess this is just a more general discussion...

For Armored Castor type stuff, is that only for spells of that class? Or any arcane spells? Can a Beguiler take levels in wizard and cast wizard spells in armor? How about a Duskblade?

I don't have the book in front of me, so i don't know if this is addressed.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Another thought...and I guess this is just a more general discussion...

For Armored Castor type stuff, is that only for spells of that class? Or any arcane spells? Can a Beguiler take levels in wizard and cast wizard spells in armor? How about a Duskblade?

I don't have the book in front of me, so i don't know if this is addressed.
Yes they can. However, if they're going to such extremes, they deserve Armoured Caster.

As to Duskblade, it would be somewhat weak at Psywar BAB because despite the many spells per day, the list of choices lacks the frenetic buffage synergy of the Psywar. The Duskblade winds up still being a bit high on the power curve, particularly when Blade of Blooding + Spell Channeling + Arcane Striking, though using the strict wording can help substantially on the channeling. It isn't crazy head-for-the-hills broken like Wraithstrike where it will ruin your game, so I would allow the class in a home campaign. A living campaign is different though--here one might need to worry more about equity because the Duskblade may wind up joining forces with a character she invalidates or overshadows and making the player feel terrible. This is why I'm not sure. I certainly won't be voting No for it though.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Any thoughts from KO?

So, if we make sure that arcane channelling is for one creature per attack (so hitting multiples in the same round is okay, more than once on the same is not), what other issues are overpowering (besides some spells on the spell list?)

Remove ads