Ptolus: The Legend of Longcoat

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It is the first day of Moons in the 720th year since the founding of the Tarsisian Empire. It is raining in Ptolus.

Those that make their living on the Whitewind Sea had hoped winter would bring relief. It was a rough summer: Unusually warm weather meant more Nallsman longboats than normal raiding up and down the coast, along with increased pirate activity. The dwarf pirate Firebeard sacked and burned a ship moored in the Bay of Ptolus. And the sahuagin used the summer storms as cover for yet more raids on coastal settlements and they were repeatedly found within Ptolus itself.

But on the Docks quarter of Ptolus, winter has brought no relief. Savage murders are taking place and the dockworkers, shipwrights, fishermen and prostitutes are all saying the same thing: After more than 100 years, Longcoat is back.

In IA 596, a serial killer killed five prostitutes living and working down on the Docks. Dubbed "Longcoat" by the city's broadsheets after the description of an alleged eyewitness, Longcoat was never caught and, after the fifth murder, vanished without a trace.

The shade of his last victim, Coraithe Whitetree, has been known to wander Salt Spray Street near her now-empty hovel, but of Longcoat himself, there never was any sign.

But when the savage attacks began over the last four weeks, his name was the first to spring to many lips.

The new attacks have had the same sort of savagery that Longcoat's were said to have had, with the victims disfigured and dismembered instead of being just merely killed.

The City Watch spend most of their time on the Docks doing the Dockmaster's bidding and enforcing tariffs on balky sea captains and arresting the clumsiest smugglers. Their way of handling the nightly brawls at the Savage Shark on Wharf Road and Salt Spray Street is to wait outside until they're done, stand up and brush off those who participated and send them on their way, unless someone was foolish enough to brandish a weapon, at which point, they take that isolated incident seriously. They don't worry about "someone putting away a few whores," as they indelicately put it.

But the murders have been more than just prostitutes: Men have been killed and the elderly and, in one case, a young girl apprenticed to the Shipwright's Guild.

And so, this afternoon, when the rain is so heavy and the sky so dark that it makes it seem like night has come hours early, those crowded into the Savage Shark are of a somber mood. No one sane goes anywhere in the Docks these days alone, and although few will admit it, everyone is huddled into the Shark for both safety and comfort.

The Shark is just the sort of rundown dockside tavern that bards insert in their songs: Perpetually in danger of collapsing, dirty, filthy, dangerous and the drinks are even worse. The bar's owner, Hanthan Yan, is as surly as any bartender in a bard's tale.

Today, though, he has the haunted look the patrons all recognize in themselves. He rubs a dirty rag inside a dirty mug, staring at the rain through the grimy windows that flank the tavern doors. Over the sound of the pounding rain outside, few hear him sigh, or his first words, but he repeats himself a moment later, putting down the mug with a thump.

"I said, 'someone ought to do somethin'' about Longcoat." Yan puts his fists down on the bar and glares around the room at the assembled sailors, shipwrights, fishermen, travelers and down-on-their-luck would-be Delvers. "Bring me proof that these killin's is over, and I'll give ya 500 gold Imperials and I'll get the Dockmaster to kick in as well, by Rajek."

Most of those in the Shark look down into their drinks, avoiding his gaze. But a half-dozen or so patrons do not. As you look around the room, you realize that there might be others willing to face down Longcoat and stop him for good this time.

Last edited:

Trollbabe

First Post
Garnet whispers into his torn and stained surcoat. A smile creeps over his lips as if something within replied to his liking. Then looking to the others that seem inclined to take the barkeep's offer he replies: "Ain't nobody gunna step up to Longcoat with out me. I am in..." He pauses and looks to the rain soaked streets. "Gold or no gold."

Dave Turner

First Post
Akilu's jet black eyes survey the bedraggled patrons of the Shark. In the dim, flickering light of the Shark, the shadows play on his skin like the black waters of the bay.

He remembers his neighbor, Salty Tom, pushing a wheelbarrow down the boardwalk two weeks ago. Akilu and his mother were on the ramshackle porch of their modest house, precariously perched over the water. His mother was surrounded by small piles of iridescent oyster shells as she harvested the meat from Akilu's morning dive. Weikiloo's arms and legs swung limply from over the edge of the wheelbarrow. Dried blood didn't entirely mask the gouges and tears.

"My sister was no whore, but the Watch don't seem to care. They're just as scared as anyone else. No one else will come to help us, not even the Sisters." Akilu gets to his webbed feet. A dark smile reveals his sharp, conical teeth. "By Triton, I will taste Longcoat's flesh."

Erekose13

Explorer
The quiet dwarven woman had been sitting in the corner near the door, her ale sitting idly in front of her as she stared at it. The woman's dark hair, flecked with gray was loose around her shoulders where normally it would be tied back in a pony tail. Nudged from her reverie by the growing noise around her, Maugra Ironcrane looks up as the two stand. The conversation that had initiated their bursts slowly seeping from her unconscious, she stands too. "By Tuen, mother of machines, I too will stand against this tide of death and see my parents and neighbours safe." she says as she draws her dragon pistol and slams it down on the table next to her tankard.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Vanden sits alone at a table in the Shark, unsettlingly nursing a watered down tankard of wine. He listens intently to Yan's diatribe, but holds his tongue. What am I doing here? I know not the first thing about finding a murderer, much less bringing him to justice... He stares, uselessly, at his drink.

Dave Turner said:
"My sister was no whore, but the Watch don't seem to care. They're just as scared as anyone else. No one else will come to help us, not even the Sisters." Akilu gets to his webbed feet. A dark smile reveals his sharp, conical teeth. "By Triton, I will taste Longcoat's flesh."

At the mention of the Sisterhood of Silence, Vanden suppresses a pang of guilt. "If you be true in your intentions, good sir, I would assist in your lauded goal.

Dave Turner

First Post
At the mention of the Sisterhood of Silence, Vanden suppresses a pang of guilt. "If you be true in your intentions, good sir, I would assist in your lauded goal.
Akilu takes in Vanden's simple appearance, glancing at the tonsured hair and apparent lack of weaponry. This human doesn't look like much. Is he a scribe? He's no sailor or fisherman. There's courage in his action, but is there steel? Ah, well, at worst he'll distract Longcoat so that I can gut him."

"I do intend to see Longcoat brought down for what he's done. He's killed full-grown men, some of them salty sailors, veterans of a dozen sea battles."

Akilu glances at the dwarven woman and her dragon pistol. He's heard of dragon pistols, but never seen one before now.

"We'll need as many arms as we can get."

[sblock=OOC]
If everyone could name the color of their IC text, the rest can include it in their quotes. For example, my color is "red". In particular, I'm having trouble with both Vanden and Garnet choosing two shades of blue, neither of which appears to be blue. ;)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Trollbabe

First Post

A voice in the back of his mind whispers "A whore... That's what brings you here." Garnet shakes his head at the whisper and mutters under his breath. "No a mother does..."

This boy looks barely old enough to be out on his own let alone stand up against a murderer. But his eyes display an inner strength that no doubt hints at his motivations. "I'm no sea veteran but I stand with the rest of you all the same."

[sblock=OOC]I am using DeepSkyBlue. If you need me to change let me know. =)[/sblock]

Erekose13

Explorer
From her position at the back of the room, near the door, Maugra does not have to turn to see all those who stand at the barkeep's call for justice. Without judging those around her she watches Garnet, Akilu, and Vanden stand. She looks around at the other patrons yet to stand, wondering who else will answer the call.

[sblock=color]I am using slategray, but will often forget. If you click quote under my post, you can just use the tags that already populate the colors if thats easier for you.[/sblock]

Wrahn

First Post
Jossen, standing at the back of the room, waiting for a good seat to open up, hesitates before stepping foward. He had intended to pursue this supposed Longcoat criminal and briefly internally debates whether he wants to work with others. Finally concluding that it will be safer with more people if this criminal is killing grown men he steps forward.

"My name is Jossen Vanter, I also would like to run this criminal run to ground and brought to justice."

Remove ads