Player's Guide to Eberron (Book Approval)

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
I won't vote against any of the ones you were asking about, stonegod, but the Artificer's Monocle, if it is the same as MIC, is an atrociously gamebreaking item that is priced extremely poorly. 1500 GP for a free Identify at will (never mind that a 1st-level spell at will is normally 2000 GP for a slotted item and that this item might as well never use up a slot because you only put it on when you are identifying the item and take it off afterwards, so even by the regular formula, if it weren't Identify, it would cost 3000 GP at least. I would charge 53,000 in a home game (if I was also using the silly 3.5 1 item per identify and full information rule--if not, they won't get enough uses out of it, so I would probably ad hoc charge only 15,000 or so) because of adding 50x the material component of Identify, and it might still save them money depending on how many items are found). People keep trying to get in infinite free identifies, and I'm going to keep voting them down.

So NO on Artificer's Monocle.

The shere bookkeeping reduction of unlimited identifies makes me more than willing to barbeque this particular sacred cow. ;) Infinite free identifies for everyone! ;)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
stonegod said:
Its actually cheaper in the MIC than in the PGtE (a lot more, though I don't recall) and in PGtE, it only works for Artificers with their artificer's knowledge ability. There are a few more differences, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.
The PGtE monocle is 19k and only works for artificers. Not an issue for a long time.

The MIC monocle is closer 1.2k. But the magic pricing model is MIC is significantly different from the base 3.5 assumption.

Remove ads