A Warlock-Like Psionicist

Melayl

First Post
Ok, so here's my attempt. I've stolen ideas from the other posts (thank you for the inspiration). Tell me what you think, please

[size=+2]J’Sevath[/size]

The J’Sevath combines aspects of the soulknife and the warlock into a psionic class. J’Sevath are made, not born, and come from any and all races, walks of life, and creeds.

Alignment: any

Hit Die: d6

Skill Points: 4+Int mod/level (quadruple @ 1st level)

Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Concentration, Craft, Profession, Knowledge (psionics), Psicraft, Use Psionic Device, plus any 4 of the following: Bluff, Climb, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (any 1 – only once), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive,
Spot, Tumble.

Important Stats: WIS, DEX/STR

Weapon/Armor Proficiencies: All Simple weapons plus their Psibolt and Psiblade, Light armors, and Small shields.

Code:
[b]Level[/b]	[b]BAB[/b]		[b]F/R/W[/b]	[b]Expressions[/b]     [b]Special[/b]
1st	+0		+0/2/2		0	Psistrike 1d6, Wild Talent, Least Expression
2nd	+1		+0/3/3		1	Detect Psionics, Clarity of Mind
3rd	+2		+1/3/3		2	Psistrike (primary/secondary) 2d6/1d6
4th	+3		+1/4/4		2	Preternatural Defense +1
5th	+3		+1/4/4		3	Psistrike 3d6/1d6
6th	+4		+2/5/5		3	Lesser Expression
7th	+5		+2/5/5		4	Psistrike 4d6/2d6
8th	+6/+1		+2/6/6		4	Preternatural Defense +2
9th	+6/+1		+3/6/6		5	Psistrike 5d6/2d6
10th	+7/+2		+3/7/7		5	
11th	+8/+3		+3/7/7		6	Psistrike 6d6/3d6, Greater Expression
12th	+9/+4		+4/8/8		6	Empower Item, Preternatural Defense+3
13th	+9/+4		+4/8/8		7	Psistrike 7d6/3d6
14th	+10/+5		+4/9/9		7	
15th	+11/+6/+1	+5/9/9		8	Psistrike 8d6/4d6
16th	+12/+7/+2	+5/10/10	8	True Expression, Preternatural Defense +4
17th	+12/+7/+2	+5/10/10	9	Psistrike 9d6/4d6
18th	+13/+8/+3	+6/11/11	9	
19th	+14/+9/+4	+6/11/11	10	Psistrike 10d6/5d6
20th	+15/+10/+5	+6/12/12	10	Preternatural Defense +5

[sblock=Class Special Abilities]
Psibolt/Psiblade (Psistrike) (Ps, Su): A J’Sevath can harness the psionic power resident within their soul to create powerful attacks. The Psistrike is composed of telekinetic (not Force) energy. It is manifested as both the Psibolt and the Psiblade (see below). This energy does full normal damage to ectoplasmic creatures. Power Resistance applies to these attacks, DC = 10+1/2 class level + Wis Mod. Starting at 1st level, they may manifest their Psibolt and Psiblade. Manifesting is a Move-equivalent action. Once manifested, attacks can be made as normal for a melee or ranged weapon. The manifested weapon remains ready unless dropped.

The Psibolt is a ranged attack reaching 25 feet per odd J’Sevath level, in a straight line. It is projected from the hand or the brow (choose at time of character creation).

The Psiblade is a physical manifestation. It can take the form and use of any melee weapon desired by the J’Sevath, but only does the listed damage, regardless of size/shape. It has hardness equal to Wis modifier + ½ class level and HP equal to modifier + class level. You may manifest multiple different shapes, 1 + Wis mod, minumum 1.

A Will save may be made each round to use their Psistrike in a Null Psionics/Magic field.

At 3rd level, the J’Sevath must choose to specialize in either the Psibolt or the Psiblade. The damage of this weapon progresses at the primary damage rate, the other at the secondary. Once made, this choice is unchangeable. Both do full normal damage to objects.

Any appropriate Melee or Ranged feats may be taken for use with the Psiblade/bolt, and the J’Sevath may also take other specialized feats (see below). In addition, weapons like Crystal Hilts (see this thread) may enhance the J’Sevath’s power.

Wild Talent (Su): A J’Sevath gains the Wild Talent feat for free, and may gain Psionic focus and take [Psionic] feats as though they had a manifester level equal to their class level.

Detect Psionics (Ps): As the power, at will.

Clarity of Mind (Su): PR 10 + 1/even level +Wis Mod vs Mind-Affecting powers/spells/
etc.

Preternatural Defense (Su): J’Sevath gain an Insight bonus to AC and Saves that increases with their class level.

Empower Item (Su): A J’Sevath may create any psionic item without knowing the requisite powers. He must be of appropriate ML and have the appropriate item creation feats, as well as pay all monetary and experience costs (with a 10% cost increase). DC for item creation is 15 + power level. If DC failed, cannot try to create that item until gaining another level.

Expressions (Su): Expressions are Psi-like abilities, purely mental actions. As with all psionic manifestations, they have some sort of display identifying when they are used. Expressions come in three different types: weapon, shape, and general. Weapon affects what the Psistrike does. Shape affects the shape of the Psibolt only. General affects the J’Sevath or others. You start with no Expressions, but may take the Expressive feat to gain one at 1st level.

Weapon and Shape Expressions are considered Free actions, and you may use both in the same action. General Expressions are Standard actions.

They also come in 4 power classes: Least, Lesser, Greater, and True. They may be used at will, with no daily limit on use. However, only one of each type may be in use at any one time. To learn and use Expressions, you need a minimum Wis: 12 for Least, 14 for Lesser, 16
for Greater and 18 for True.

When a J’Sevath gains another Expression, he may trade out any one other Expression for a new one of up to the highest class he has access to.[/sblock]

[sblock=The Expressions]

Least
  • Biofeedback – as power
  • Chameleon -- gain a +10 enhancement bonus on Hide checks.
  • Cryokinetic Strike (Weapon) -- your strike deals Cold damage, and an extra +1 point of
    damage per die. If your strike's shape allows a save, it is a Fort save instead of a Reflex save.
  • Empathy -- gain a +4 enhancement bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive.
  • Energy Adaptation, Specified -- gain resistance 10 to one energy type; expend your Focus to manifest as an Immediate action.
  • Far Hand -- as the power, at will, +5 pounds and 10 feet at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th levels.
  • Feline Adaptation -- use catfall at will (augmented by 1 step for every 3rd class level), add Wis modifier to Dex Skill checks; gain Evasion and a Reflex bonus by expending your Focus.
  • Force Screen – as power, augmented by 1 step at 6th, 12th, and 18th levels.
  • Merciful Strike (Weapon) – your strike deals non-lethal damage.
  • Mind Strike (Weapon) -- your strike deals d10s, but is [mind-affecting] and grants a Will save for half.
  • Mindlink -- use mindlink at will; expend your Focus to use mass missive.
  • Pyrokinetic Strike (Weapon) -- your Psistrike deals Fire damage, and an extra +1 point of damage per die.
  • Synesthete – as the power
  • Telekinetic Spear (Shape) -- your Psibolt range extends to 250 ft.
Lesser
  • Astral Insight -- see invisibility and detect teleportation within 120 ft.; expend Focus to trace the destination of an outgoing teleport.
  • Canine Adaptation -- manifest elfsight and know direction and location at will; expend Focus to act normally when you would otherwise be surprised.
  • Charm -- cause a single creature to regard you as a friend; expend your Focus to attempt a psi suggestion.
  • Debilitating Strike (Weapon) – 1d2 ability damage to any one mental stat
  • Detect Hostile Intent – as power
  • Dimension Swap -- you and an ally switch positions; expend your Focus to switch two allies.
  • Distract – as power
  • Energy Adaptation -- your body converts energy to harmless light; expend your Focus to manifest as an Immediate action.
  • Inertial Barrier – as power
  • Lingering Ectoplasm (Weapon) -- any who take the full effect of your strike are entangled for 1 round in addition to taking damage.
  • Dispel (Weapon) – as Dispel Psionics, targeted dispel, expend focus to deplete PP = ½
    damage dealt.
  • Telekinetic Beam (Shape) -- your strike takes the shape of a 60 ft. line.
  • Telekinetic Push (Weapon) -- your strike knocks its target back 5’ per 5 hpd.
  • Telekinetic Force -- move an object with the sustained force of your mind; expend your Focus to violently hurl objects.
  • Touchsight -- gain Blindsight out to 30 ft.
Greater
  • Aquatic Adaptation -- breathe water freely and use float at will; expend your Focus to gain a Swim speed equal to twice your base speed (or 60 ft., whichever is greater) for one
    round.
  • Aura Insight -- detect magic and alignment, identify aura's magical school or psionic discipline with Psicraft check; study an item for one hour to psi identify it.
  • Co-opt Concentration – as power
  • Crippling Strike – 1d4 ability damage to any one physical stat
  • Telekinetic Anchor (Weapon) -- opponent must make Will save or be dimensionally anchored for 5 rounds.
  • Intellect Fortress -- allies within 10 ft. gain a +2 bonus on Will saves; expend Focus to grant dampen power within 10 ft. instead.
  • Psychofeedback – as power
  • Retrieve – as power
  • Telekinetic Cone (Shape) -- your strike becomes a 30 ft. cone-shaped burst.
  • Telekinetic Shout (Weapon) -- your strike deals Sonic damage and ignores Power Resistance.
  • Teleport -- use psi teleport at will; expend your Focus as an Immediate action to teleport yourself up to 30 ft.
True
  • Dominate -- control target telepathically.
  • Mind Blank, Psionic -- you are immune to scrying and mental effects.
  • Planar Insight -- use plane shift at will; expend your Focus as an Immediate action to become Ethereal for one round.
  • Telekinetic Burst (Shape) -- your strike becomes a 40 ft. burst centered on you.
  • True Sight -- as psi true sight, at will.
  • Shadow Body – as power
[/sblock]
[sblock=New Feats]

Upgrade Psistrike [Psionic]
Prereq: Psistrike class ability, 5th or higher J’Sevath level

Benefits: Your strike damage increases by 1 step (1d6 to 1d8, etc) per Upgrade feat. You may take this feat multiple times, at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th levels. Must be taken separately for Psibolt and Psiblade.

Free Draw [Psionic]
Prereq: Psistrike class ability, 4th or higher J’Sevath level

Benefits: You may manifest your Psistrike as a free action rather than as a move action.

Enhance Psistrike [Psionic]
Prereq: Psistrike class ability, 4th or higher J’Sevath level

Benefits: Your Psistrike gains an enhancement bonus of +1. You may take this feat multiple times, at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th levels for a total of +5. Must be taken separately for Psibolt and Psiblade.

Split Psiblade [Psionic]
Prereq: Psibolt/blade class ability, 3rd or higher J’Sevath level

Benefits: May split Psiblade into 2 identical weapons of 1 die class and enhancement class (if any) lower.

Threat [Psionic]
Prereq: Psibolt/blade class ability, Upgrade (range), Enhance (multiple)

Benefit: Critical range increases by 1 class per Upgrade feat and multiplier by 1 per Enhance feat to maximum of 17-20, x3

Expressive [Psionic]
Prereq: Expression class ability, Wis modifier +1 or greater

Benefit: You learn another Expression, up to the highest class you have access to. This does not count against your maximum number of Expressions. This does not qualify you to switch out another expression, nor can you switch out this when you gain another Expression. You may take this feat a number of times equal to your Wis modifier.

I think they might also qualify for some of the other wonderful soulknife feats that others on the boards have created.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Melayl said:
Skill Points: 4+Int mod/level (double @ 1st level)

It's hard to quote bad mechanics, because they're all in hide-blocks, but I'm sure you know why this is wrong. :)

Cheers, -- N

Melayl

First Post
oops. I meant it to be the usual double skills at first level, then gaining (4+Int mod) per level. If I recall correctly, that's the right mechanic.

What other bad mechanics have you found?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Melayl said:
oops. I meant it to be the usual double skills at first level, then gaining (4+Int mod) per level. If I recall correctly, that's the right mechanic.

What other bad mechanics have you found?

Nifft is referring to the fact that it should be quadruple (x4) skill points at 1st level.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Okay, let me take a crack at this. My comments will be in bold.

- - - - -

Psibolt/Psiblade (Psistrike) (Ps, Su): A J’Sevath can harness the psionic power resident within their soul to create powerful attacks. The Psistrike is composed of telekinetic (not Force) energy. It is manifested as both the Psibolt and the Psiblade (see below). This energy does full normal damage to ectoplasmic creatures. What is an ectoplasmic creature? Power Resistance applies to these attacks (DC = 10+1/2 class level + Wis Mod power resistance doesn't have a DC). Starting at 1st level, they may manifest their Psibolt and Psiblade. Manifesting is a Move-equivalent action. The manifested weapon remains ready unless dropped. You're using the word "manifesting" for both psibolt and psiblade, but this makes no sense when applied to psibolt.

The Psibolt is a ranged attack reaching 25 feet per odd J’Sevath level, in a straight line. It is projected from the hand or the brow (choose at time of character creation). So if you were handcuffed with your hands behind your back, would you be restricted from aiming this spell-like ability?

The Psiblade is a physical manifestation. Does that mean NOT energy? If so, it contradicts the above. It can take the form and use of any melee weapon desired by the J’Sevath, but only does the listed damage, regardless of size/shape. It has hardness equal to Wis modifier + ½ class level and HP equal to modifier + class level. You may manifest multiple different shapes, 1 + Wis mod, minumum 1. So I could manifest a Spiked Chain if I had proficiency? A spiked chain that deals 10d6 untyped energy damage?!

A Will save may be made each round to use their Psistrike in a Null Psionics/Magic field. What's the DC of this Will save?

At 3rd level, the J’Sevath must choose to specialize in either the Psibolt or the Psiblade. The damage of this weapon progresses at the higher damage rate, the other at the lower. Once made, this choice is unchangeable. Both do full normal damage to objects. So I can do a ranged sunder with my psibolt?

Clarity of Mind (Su): PR 10 + 1/even level +Wis Mod vs Mind-Affecting powers/spells/
etc. PR this low is useless.

Cheers, -- N

Melayl

First Post
Nifft said:
Okay, let me take a crack at this. My comments will be in bold.

Psibolt/Psiblade (Psistrike) (Ps, Su): A J’Sevath can harness the psionic power resident within their soul to create powerful attacks. The Psistrike is composed of telekinetic (not Force) energy. It is manifested as both the Psibolt and the Psiblade (see below). This energy does full normal damage to ectoplasmic creatures. What is an ectoplasmic creature?

A creature created by a psionic ability, anyone in ectoplasmic form, etc.

Power Resistance applies to these attacks (DC = 10+1/2 class level + Wis Mod power resistance doesn't have a DC).

My bad. I'll have to change that, and thanks for pointing it out. I meant it to mean that the Psistrike is treated as a power equal to 1/2 class level.

Starting at 1st level, they may manifest their Psibolt and Psiblade. Manifesting is a Move-equivalent action. The manifested weapon remains ready unless dropped. You're using the word "manifesting" for both psibolt and psiblade, but this makes no sense when applied to psibolt.

You're not the first to point this oops out to me. I'll post the corrected language.

The Psibolt is a ranged attack reaching 25 feet per odd J’Sevath level, in a straight line. It is projected from the hand or the brow (choose at time of character creation). So if you were handcuffed with your hands behind your back, would you be restricted from aiming this spell-like ability?

Yes, unless you chose to project it from your brow (3rd eye) when you created the character.

The Psiblade is a physical manifestation. Does that mean NOT energy? If so, it contradicts the above.

It means the same thing as the soulknife's does. It is a solid manifestation of telekinetic energy.

It can take the form and use of any melee weapon desired by the J’Sevath, but only does the listed damage, regardless of size/shape. It has hardness equal to Wis modifier + ½ class level and HP equal to modifier + class level. You may manifest multiple different shapes, 1 + Wis mod, minumum 1. So I could manifest a Spiked Chain if I had proficiency? A spiked chain that deals 10d6 untyped energy damage?!

Essentially, yes. Although, as written, you are already proficient in your Psiblade, no matter what it's shape, so you wouldn't need that exotic weapon proficiency. And it only does 10d6 at 19th level. You may, of course, change this if you use this class.

A Will save may be made each round to use their Psistrike in a Null Psionics/Magic field. What's the DC of this Will save?

That's a good question. I'll have to check on that.

At 3rd level, the J’Sevath must choose to specialize in either the Psibolt or the Psiblade. The damage of this weapon progresses at the higher damage rate, the other at the lower. Once made, this choice is unchangeable. Both do full normal damage to objects. So I can do a ranged sunder with my psibolt?

Yes.

etc. PR this low is useless.

What progression would you suggest? At 2nd level, with a Wis of 16 (not unreasonable), you'd have a PR of 14. I didn't think that was too shabby. By 20th level (with that same 16 Wis) you'd have a PR of 23.

Remove ads