The Elfish Gene

houndstooth

First Post
Subsequent to an earlier thread, I thought some of you might like to see the cover of The Elfish Gene, my new book about my formative years playing D&D. It's attached as a bmp.

The book's available in April and will be on Amazon and at bookstores (supermarkets if I'm very lucky).

I was one of the first wave of D&Ders in the UK - I bought my first set in 1976. I still play sometimes today and am currently working on an Empire of the Petal Throne first edition campaign (I said I was old school).

I hope anyone who's ever had an argument about marching order or the exact properties of giant ant acid should find The Elfish Gene funny. It's the story of a true RPG obsessive - I did nothing else for six years, at all. Even today I eat with only one hand. The other one was always for a rule book, fanzine or fantasy novel.

Anyway, providing this isn't considered spam (which I hope it isn't) then I'll try to post a link when the book's available.

Here's the blurb, see what you think.

Coventry, 1976. For a brief, blazing summer 12-year-old Mark Barrowcliffe had a chance to be normal.
He blew it.
While other teenagers were concentrating on being coolly rebellious, Mark - like 20 million other boys in the 70s and 80s - chose to spend his entire adolescene in fart-filled bedrooms pretending to be a wizard or a warrior , an evil priest or a dwarf. Armed only with pen, paper and some funny-shaped dice, this lost generation gave themselves up to the craze of fantasy role-playing games, stopped chatting up girls and started killing dragons.
Extremely funny, not a little sad and really quite strange, The Elfish Gene is an attempt to understand the true inner nerd of the adolescent male. Last pick at football, spat at by bullies and laughed at by girls they were the fantasy wargamers and this is their story.

The book is very affectionate towards RPGs, by the way, but it does show what happens to your head when you have too much of a good thing - as summed up in the opening line:

An elf cloak is designed to render its user invisible. Worn in the Coventry shopping precinct when The City are playing at home, however, it has rather the opposite effect.

It is a warts n all account of my obsessed years but I think RPGs come out of it OK. It's me that appears as a saddo rather than gamers as a whole. I hope the book scotches all that rubbish about RPGs leading people into the occult too. As I show, RPGs - certainly D&D - don't really support the occult idea of magic and, I think, kept me out of that sort of thing rather than driving me in. (I did have a bit of a goat sacrificing phase but it came and went in a bleat).

I think I've posted in the right forum. Sorry if I haven't. I am, as the book will show, an idiot but not a malicious idiot.

I'll try to stick some extracts up nearer the publication date if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• elfishnew.bmp
    171.8 KB · Views: 115

Prince Atom

Explorer
houndstooth said:
(I did have a bit of a goat sacrificing phase but it came and went in a bleat).

You, sir, are evil.

Congratulations on getting your book published. I don't tend to buy from Amazon, but I might just have to make an exception in this case.

Happy days!

TWK

Ranes

Adventurer
houndstooth said:
(I did have a bit of a goat sacrificing phase but it came and went in a bleat).

If that's what passes for wit in your world, I'll be picking up a copy of the book.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Since I work for Waterstone's and don't hide the fact I'm a gamer, someone told the publisher to send me a copy. I'm half way through and really enjoying it. It's a very funny, often quite sad & cringeworthy account of growing up in 70s Britain and playing D&D a lot.

Based on what I've read so far, I'd recommend it. A lot of it rings true, although fortunately, unlike the author, I managed to mix playing D&D during my teenage years with going out with girls, seeing bands and getting pissed.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:

houndstooth

First Post
I'm glad you like it Richard.
Do order about nine million of them, if you would.
Any time you want me to do anything at your store (I'm presuming you work at a store) let the publishers know and I will appear like a wind walker behind a Paladin. Obviously, I'm not implying that I will kill you, just that I'll be there quickly.
All the best
Mark

RichGreen

Adventurer
houndstooth said:
I'm glad you like it Richard.
Do order about nine million of them, if you would.
Any time you want me to do anything at your store (I'm presuming you work at a store) let the publishers know and I will appear like a wind walker behind a Paladin. Obviously, I'm not implying that I will kill you, just that I'll be there quickly.
All the best
Mark

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately I don't work in a store and don't order books - sorry! I will, however, mention it to people I know who do.

I've nearly finished reading the book and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The accounts of schoolboy squabbles and vindictive player vs player conflict which carries over from one character to the next bring back a lot of memories, as do the artifact-toting characters of 25th level+. I seem to remember having a character with the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd too (or someone in one of our games when I was 13 did). I also remember the houri character class from White Dwarf (although not anyone actually having played one) and the incomprehensible Monster Mark system.

Still can't believe you lived in Coventry in 1979 but prefered Judas Priest over The Specials! That's probably one of the saddest stories in the book!

Hope it does really well for you. I'd definitely recommend it to ENWorlders, particularly British ones who started playing in 1980 or earlier.

Cheers

Richard

Remove ads