Preparations for Super Bowl XLI?

Goodsport

Explorer
With less than a week to go, I'm preparing for my seventh-annual Super Bowl Eve viewing of Any Given Sunday on DVD before watching the Big Game this Sunday in HD, even though I have no particular rooting interest for either team. :D

So how do you prepare for the Super Bowl, both the day before and the day of? :confused:

-G

Last edited:

Phantos

First Post
Honestly, not alot, but a very important little bit.
During this week I will study up on team stats (articles via the net, etc.)
then on Saturday I will try not to drink much alcohol (if any at all) so that on Sunday I can get fully loaded with minimal liver damage. heh.
really.
Big breakfast and lunch on Sunday to pad the way for alot of bourbon consumption during the game.

I host an annual small Super Bowl party. Preparation includes defunking the apartment in advance.

Got to decide what to make for half-time dinner this year. Usually do something Mexican, but I'm in the mood for something different this year. Whatever it is, it's got to be something where I can do all the prep work well in advance and then cook really quick.

Oh, and the Maragaritas of Death(tm) will make their annual appearance as well. The trick is to use Baccardi Orange Rum instead of triple sec. Gives em a little something extra!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Goodsport said:
So how do you prepare for the Super Bowl, both the day before and the day of? :confused:
Buy many trans fat junk food before they're banned from the store shelves. ;)

Prepare hamburger for deep-frying. Prepare gravy for french fries.

Phantos said:
damn, that sounds so lovely!

They were an accidental discovery at a Super Bowl a few years back (the first New England win, if I recall correctly). We were having nachos, and someone wanted a margarita, and I didn't have any triple sec. Figured, hey -- orange is orange, right? Made a pitcher and the six of us got seriously toasted in short order. They pack quite a kick, but they taste so good!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't like watching sports. Playing on occasion is cool, but I don't really get into the viewing.

However, I am going to a superbowl party - the kind that is using the game as an excuse to have a party. Most of the attendees won'tbe watching the game.

For this, I am making chili. And my wife is baking a cake.

John Crichton

First Post
Preparation? Usually, not much.

I didn't even watch last year except for 30 minutes on my break at work. Considering the Giants aren't playing I am really into it. Half my fantasy team was full of Colts which made me watch nearly all their games and I have adopted them as my AFC team. I like Manning's commercials before and have come to really appreciate his game. I like the city (GenCon) and I have rooted for the Colts in past years when the Giants were eliminated.

That said, I already spoke with my father about eats which will start with some kind of steak and the typical assortment of chips, dips and the like. Newcastle Ale for the beverages plus diet sodas for other folks. I may make something (tacos?) but I'll see come gameday what feels like it is missing.

Sometime before Saturday night (D&D game starts @ 6pm) I will burn a few hours writing an analysis and post it here (in the NFL thread) as well as my pick for the game. This typically includes pouring over stats, injury reports and probably a few trips to various websites of columns that entertain me.

After the D&D game, I'd like to pop in "Remember the Titans" with my only regret being a lack of an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray disc available. I would watch "Unnecessary Roughness" but I don't even have the VCR hooked up. ;)

Sometime around 4pm I'll gear up with the Peyton Manning jersey. I'll probably watch some of the pre-game but become bored with it quickly and try to convince everyone to play a board game to pass the time.

5 people in attendance: my father, sister, her boyfriend, my girlfriend and I will then plop down for hopefully an enjoyable 4 hours of football and clever commercials. :cool:

Aeolius

Adventurer
I make sure there's room on the DVR. That way I can record the game and start watching it 30-45 minutes into the game - Fast Forward through the football to get the entertainment... the commercials. ;)

Goodsport

Explorer
Umbran said:
However, I am going to a superbowl party - the kind that is using the game as an excuse to have a party. Most of the attendees won'tbe watching the game.

That's precisely why I never attend such Super Bowl parties.

-G

Remove ads