Deuce Traveler's Campy Ptolus Adventure (Palace of the Silver Princess)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Ptolus.

The city by the spire. Ptolus, where the city guard is made almost entirely of ex-adventuring swordsmen. Ptolus, where the average pickpocket down on their luck has a higher dexterity than a professional acrobat. Ptolus, where a race of elves called the Harrow elves walk the streets cloaked and hunched over like Eddie Vedder on the bender. Ptolus, where a water genasi is in the same adventuring party as a half-red dragon minotaur. Ptolus, where angels patrol over streets and evil outsiders are allowed to reside since they haven’t broken any laws yet. Ptolus, where 5th-level characters are bullied in the The Ghostly Minstrel tavern for their potion money by real heroes.

This is Ptolus.

----

I am running a tongue-in-cheek Ptolus game that is going to be a two part adventure. The game will use the DnD 3.5 system unless we get a flood of people who prefer another system.

This is a dungeon crawl, so I'm also going to use an old original DnD adventure module called B3: Palace of the Silver Princess, and modify it to fit my campaign. Characters will be fourth level. Any character class or race is acceptable. I will trust everyone to roll up their characters at home using a 4d6 method (dropping the lowest, reroll 1s). The only caveat is that one of your ability scores must be at least as low as an 8. Also, I’ll be picking characters from people who I trust didn’t cheat, so if a character is presented to me with all 17s and 18s and a dump attribute for the 8, I’ll raise an eyebrow and probably pass over the character.

The first part of adventure will be a standard dungeon crawl where the party will have to save the damsel in distress and her kingdom, find the McGuffin, and defeat the BBEG.

Now I'm going to explain how this adventure is going to stand out. Normally I prefer running a game off the core books, while allowing people to make special requests to me in regards to other classes, feats, weapons, etc. This allows me to tailor the culture of my campaign world without having a class or race (etc) that doesn't fit in my concept of my game world.

This time I'm more willing to allow most things from other books right off the bat since I'm very much encouraging people to build crazy characters and the 'cheese' factor because it fits the tone I want to set.

Another change is that I will declare "atmospheres" in the game, a concept I just came up with, but am unsure if people would be interested in trying out. For instance, during the dungeon crawl portion of the adventure the atmosphere will be "camp". Players that post actions that follow this atmosphere will gain a +1 to their spell DCs, attack and damage rolls, and saving throws for that round. Campy actions can include attempting to swing down from a chandalier to get into attack position, witty banter (the worse the pun the better), verbal boasts, and other types of showing off. The monsters will act in a similarly campy way (funny looking uniforms, slave girl captives, etc).

If later I declare a "film noire" atmosphere, the players would be encouraged to smoke, prefer a shot of whiskey at the tavern, and have to change from open dialogue to private, cynical thoughts ("The dame had nowhere else to go and needed our help, I could see. But I knew she would be trouble. Trouble always knew where to find dames with legs like hers...". In a "film noire" atmosphere characters might get a +1 to AC and a +2 to all skill checks when roleplaying in this way.

Of course, there would also be bonus XP for roleplaying. I'm planning on the adventure having two stages, and therefore two "atmospheres", though I might change my mind and increase this. A "campy" dungeon crawl would be the first part in any case.

Since this is just for kicks, don't get attached to any characters you draw up. I sometimes fudge the dice to encourage heroics, but in this case it is a one-shot adventure, not something where the characters are important to game events. If a character dies, it's time to roll up another and I'll find some way to insert him or her.

This module is part DnD and part save-the-princess fairy tale, so if you guys want to create over the top heroes that are more stereotypes than round characters, I say go for it. You might not play a paladin, but rather the chisel-faced poster boy for men in shining armor. The bard is either a minstrel who plays like the guitarist in Animal House or love-struck romantics that woo each woman they see. Every wizard thinks that he isn't just intelligent, but that his genius exceeds that of any other mortal ever born. And that girl in the chainmail bikini... not only does it provide the same AC bonus as a full suit, but she also stays warm in winter climes with a small cloak and sheer sauciness.

The adventure will start in the Ghostly Minstrel tavern in Midtown of Ptolus, when the party is approached by a dwarf in need of heroes…

Game starts the first Monday of March.

This was the original post, saved for posterity...
[sblock]
I'm thinking of running a one-shot adventure in Ptolus. The game will either use the DnD 3.5, Monte's Unearthed Arcana's, or modified Castles and Crusades ruleset depending upon what people would like to attempt. I'm probably also going to use an old adventure module and modify it to fit my campaign. If I can't find a suitable one, I'll design my own small dungeon. Characters will be lower mid-level... somewhere between 3th and 6th. Again, I haven't decided on levels either since I'm in the conceptual stage.

The first part of adventure will be a standard dungeon crawl where the party will have to save a damsel in distress, find the McGuffin, and defeat the BBEG.

Now I'm going to explain how this adventure is going to stand out. Normally I prefer running a game off the core books, while allowing people to make special requests to me in regards to other classes, feats, weapons, etc. This allows me to tailor the culture of my campaign world without having a class or race (etc) that doesn't fit in my concept of my game world.

This time I'm more willing to allow most things from other books right off the bat since I'm very much encouraging people to build crazy characters and the 'cheese' factor because it fits the tone I want to set.

Another change is that I will declare "atmospheres" in the game, a concept I just came up with, but am unsure if people would be interested in trying out. For instance, during the dungeon crawl portion of the adventure the atmosphere will be "camp". Players that post actions that follow this atmosphere will gain a +1 to their spell DCs, attack and damage rolls, and saving throws for that round. Campy actions can include attempting to swing down from a chandalier to get into attack position, witty banter (the worse the pun the better), verbal boasts, and other types of showing off. The monsters will act in a similarly campy way (funny looking uniforms, slave girl captives, etc).

If later I declare a "film noire" atmosphere, the players would be encouraged to smoke, prefer a shot of whiskey at the tavern, and have to change from open dialogue to private, cynical thoughts ("The dame had nowhere else to go and needed our help, I could see. But I knew she would be trouble. Trouble always knew where to find dames with legs like hers...". In a "film noire" atmosphere characters might get a +1 to AC and a +2 to all skill checks when roleplaying in this way.

Of course, there would also be bonus XP for roleplaying. I'm planning on the adventure having two stages, and therefore two "atmospheres", though I might change my mind and increase this. A "campy" dungeon crawl would be the first part in any case.

Since this is just for kicks, don't get attached to any characters you draw up. I sometimes fudge the dice to encourage heroics, but in this case it is a one-shot adventure, not something where the characters are important to game events. If a character dies, it's time to roll up another and I'll find some way to insert him or her.

Anyone interested in this?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

If it uses 3.5, I'm interested. But I have a lot of games going right now so I'd be happy to defer interest if one of your existing players is interested as well (GlassEye, I'm looking at you).

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Brother Allard said:
Being an ENWorld newb, I suppose my opinion may be of limited worth, but it does sound intriguing. I'd be interested.

I would venture that maturity here holds more weight than tenure. Welcome to ENWorld, friend!

GlassEye

Adventurer
CanadienneBacon said:
If it uses 3.5, I'm interested. But I have a lot of games going right now so I'd be happy to defer interest if one of your existing players is interested as well (GlassEye, I'm looking at you).

Thanks for being willing to defer your interest in this game, CB. Despite several tempting games recently (and this is one; I greatly enjoy playing in DT's 'Last Stand of the Dorinthians') I've given myself a limit of one online game. So good luck in the selection process, DT runs a good game. (And I'm not just saying this for the bonus XP. Really!)

Autumn

First Post
I would venture that maturity here holds more weight than tenure. Welcome to ENWorld, friend!

Encouraging words, so I'd like to register my interest too. ;)

But I realise that untried and untested players can be something of a liability, so if you're not comfortable filling your game with too many of them then you can just say so - I won't whine, I promise!

I do love the idea, though, of the different themes. Should be a lot of fun, I'd say. I'm not familiar with Ptolus at all though, is that going to be a problem?

If all that is okay, then I'll draw up a Paladin as my submission. Camping up a Paladin to the max just appeals to me. :D

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Autumn said:
I do love the idea, though, of the different themes. Should be a lot of fun, I'd say. I'm not familiar with Ptolus at all though, is that going to be a problem?

The only thing you might need is an account to DriveThruRPG because you can download a .pdf of the Player's Guide to Ptolus here for free.
I would post the link here, but every time I do it is overrided by this site. It instead places a broken ENWorld link, so it's best to go to DriveThru and search for it yourself.

I plan to make it a DnD v3.5, unless a crowd of hardcore CnCers start rushing in.

I'm going to open up recruiting now, although I want people to tell me which dungeon crawl they want to try out before announcing levels.

The dungeon crawl will be edited to fit the genre and chosen out of the following:

Kingdoms of Kalamar's Coin's End
- For fifth level characters. Stop the evil, minor-artifact using witch-queen and her small army of gnolls. The characters will be working for the Commissar of Ptolus.

Original DnD's Dungeon Module B3: Palace of the Silver Princess
- Save a small community of halflings, dwarves, elves, and humans by rescuing their princess who can restore the lost people back to life. An evil cleric and his god-like artifact is using the community to raise a cultish army. The party will be working for members of the dwarven nobility who fear for their lost kin.

Original DnD's XL-1: Quest for the Heartstone
- A leading noble from one of the great houses has recently died. In his will he has declared that the family member who is able to find and claim an artifact called the heartstone will be the next leader. The party is hired by one of the competitors to find the artifact and bring it to him/her.

2nd Edition DnD's Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor
- The guild of adventurers has recently located a mysterious underground stronghold in the dungeons below Ptolus. The party that discovered this fortress was nearly wiped out to the last man, but the survivors spoke of great wealth guarded by members of the "Cult of the Dragon". The lure of gold is strong, and your party decides to beat out the others in attacking the fortress and claiming the treasure as your own.

1st Edition DnD's The Tomb of Horrors followed by 2nd Edition's Labyrinth of Madness
- Umm... no. Let's not do these.

If you've played any of these, or know them intimately, please let me know so I can choose a different crawl. Also, let me know which one you would like to try out so I can declare the level for character creation.

Last edited:

Autumn

First Post
Okay, thanks for the advice, I'm looking over the Player's Guide to Ptolus right now.

Out of all the adventures you mention the only ones I know well are Tomb of Horrors and Labyrinth of Madness. Which, much to my relief, you don't seem to be considering very seriously. ;)

So any of the others are fine; Quest for the Heartstone sounds most interesting to me, but any of them would be great!

Remove ads