Are you a gamer or a reader?

Are you a gamer or a reader?

• Gamer

Votes: 227 77.7%
  • Reader

Votes: 65 22.3%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
ENWorld, while a great crossroads for D&D and D20 fans of all sorts, isn't entirely populated by people actually playing the game ("the game" being D&D or any of its derivatives, such as C&C or True20 or perhaps an older version of D&D). On the Internet, even if you can't find a game to play, you can at least find other fans to talk to.

Of course, this somewhat colors how any given person will view any given aspect of the game, IMO. (This was most obvious to me with the oWoD books from White Wolf.) People looking at a product or aspect of the game to use in their game tend to be more utilitarian than the folks who, really, that doesn't affect, since they mostly just read the books for pleasure.

OTOH, there are people who get incredibly passionate and will fight to the death over subtle rule issues that, in play, simply aren't that big of a deal, but since D&D is mostly theoretical to them, by choice or by circumstance, they follow their passions where they wish.

So, the question to you, dear reader: Are you a D20/D&D gamer, or are you mostly a D20/D&D reader? (Optional essay question: Are my feelings about what this means accurate, or am I full of crap? :p)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm mostly a gamer of D&D - indeed, I use a *lot* of Wizards sourcebooks in play, so I tend to be more informed about them.

Anything I say about GURPS is merely informed prejudice. Like, 3e GURPS has an utterly broken skill system, totally unsuited for anything over mundane adventures in the "real world" with 50 point characters.

Cheers!

ChristianW

First Post
I'm a reader. I don't have a group and dearly miss the one I used to have. To pass the time and to stay stoked, I publish a fanzine called Iridia. It's full of the kinds of things I would put into play if I had a campaign. It's sort of a DM's notebook that's just waiting for a chance to be unleashed.

mmu1

First Post
MerricB said:
Anything I say about GURPS is merely informed prejudice. Like, 3e GURPS has an utterly broken skill system, totally unsuited for anything over mundane adventures in the "real world" with 50 point characters.

Elaborate, please? Too weak, too strong, too...?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm a gamer when time, schedules, and finances permit (which hasn't been often in the past four years or so). I'm a reader when they don't.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Well even though you are full of crap, you do have a good point. I have found many people on the 'net who do only seem to read the books and don't play the game. While not widespread IMO, they are out there. I've had people tell me why they needed glossy pages or more full page art, etc, and when I asked how that affected their game they reply, Oh I don't play the game...

I don't see why people buy game books just to read, but that's just me. My sister does it to a degree, but apparently she does some kind of free form WW netchat roleplay stuff so I guess it does get used in some manner.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
jdrakeh said:
I'm a gamer when time, schedules, and finances permit (which hasn't been often in the past four years or so). I'm a reader when they don't.
That's me, too.

I'm currently only playing a little--definitely not as much as I'm reading--but I consider myself a gamer anyway.

Xyanthon

First Post
I'm a gamer by inclination and Reader/Collector by circumstance. At the present time I don't have a group (which is a situation that I hope to remedy in the not too distant future). However, even if I could never get a gaming group back together, I'd still buy the books. They do a lot to fuel my imagination and get me to do things like create my own worlds, etc.

Remove ads