Are you a gamer or a reader?

Are you a gamer or a reader?

• Gamer

Votes: 227 77.7%
  • Reader

Votes: 65 22.3%

DJCupboard

Explorer
Ok, you called my bluff; I'm a reader. I moved away from my group years ago and have had no luck finding new gamers or free time. If anyone lives in or around Charlotte, my wife and I would enjoy remedying these circumstances.

In terms of the criticalness of readers as compared to actual gamers, I think I was just as critical when I was gaming daily.

DJC

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Right now, I'm in the reader (and writer, for that matter) camp, not doing very much gaming right now.

When I finally finish writing up material for Selan, I might get around to DMing again. :)

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I voted Gamer. I play, and I buy books to enhance play.

If I was just looking for a read, I'd be hanging out in used bookshops buying boxes of dollar fantasy paperbacks. Your reading buck goes a lot further there than in a hobby store.

People looking at a product or aspect of the game to use in their game tend to be more utilitarian than the folks who, really, that doesn't affect, since they mostly just read the books for pleasure.

Agreed. I don't even care much for module reviews where the reviewer hasn't even played through the module he's reviewing.

Graybeard

Explorer
I am primarily a gamer. I do own a couple of systems which I have not played in awhile but do read from time to time planning a possible future game.

GreatLemur

Explorer
I'm in a couple games right now, but that's out of the ordinary for me. I generally read a hell of a lot more than I play. In fact, even now, I'm still reading more. I've had an RPG rule book habit since the days when I was supporting it with paper route money.

JustKim

First Post
I'd call myself a gamer, since I play several times a week and DM when I can. I do buy more books than I can use, so I suppose I read more than I game.

But I have played with folks who get very tightly wound about the rules. It's a personality trait more than it is a lack of experience.

And as it applies to forums, well.. people who don't game (or work) have more time to come on the internet and argue about rules. So it may well be that on EN World, or the White Wolf boards, there's a larger correlation.

Wraith Form

Explorer
I think there should be a "both" option, as it depends on whether I have players (or a DM) or not. I love reading the books, group or no, but I buy less of them when i have no players / DM.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, both, because realistically, most gamers probably have a lot more books than they can use. Like adventures you want to run, but the players don't want to go through (deathtraps and such), or the level is off and you don't want to convert.

Or a lot of times, you don't really want, but get can cheap, like at X-mas times sales, or lots on ebay. I mean, I ended up getting a game of romantic anime roleplaying using Fudge (the game system, although using the food would probably be more fun) along with a lot of older Necromancer modules

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Wraith Form said:
I think there should be a "both" option, as it depends on whether I have players (or a DM) or not. I love reading the books, group or no, but I buy less of them when i have no players / DM.

I have yet to see a poll that covers all options ;)

As for me, I am primarily a gamer. For reading, I do novels. I don't read D&D stuff for fun, though I read this forum a lot, msotly to improve my game.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Shadowslayer said:
Agreed. I don't even care much for module reviews where the reviewer hasn't even played through the module he's reviewing.

Unfortunately, that's why reviewing modules is so hard. I was lucky enough to play Sons of Gruumsh soon after receiving it, and to incorporate the experience into the review.

However, especially with big adventures, normally the reviewer can't play them in their entirity until 6-12 months (or more!) after they are released... and people want to know _now_ what they're like.

Cheers!

Remove ads