Gaming W/Jemal - Epic Mortal Kombat (Character creation.)

Jemal

Adventurer
K, guys, I've noticed a fair amount of interest in Epic Gaming from my "Epic Problem" Thread, and SO I'm here asking... Is there anyone else who'ld like to DM/Play Epic PBP, and if so, what kind of games/Characters would interest People?

Lets start talking and hopefully somebody will do something about it, eh?

*EDIT : Hmm, OK, Guess that someone was me. ;)

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
I'd be interested in playing in an epic game, depending on the setting and circumstances. Someone would have to bowl me over with a cool concept at this point for me to commit to the time and effort required in creating an epic character.

Ivellious

First Post
I'm interested (Of course I am, I'm in your game Jemal lol), but one it takes too much too make a character, and two......I wouldn't have the first clue of what to dm for epic.

kinem

Adventurer
I might be interested just to try it out, but I am against the Epic rules and when I DM I don't use them. There are too many stupidities within them like epic social skills and infinite arrow shots, not to mention the fact that it makes no sense that people could continue to improve exponentially without limit, and it makes world building too hard if there is no upper power level and there are long lived races. Besides all that, I have never seen an Epic game last very long - it's clunky and low level challenges seem easier to get immersed in the roleplaying of.

That said, I may soon start a 20th level PBP here as I am interested in trying DMing at that level.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Personally I love making Epic level characters and would love to play in an Epic game. I've never before in my DM'd though so i don't think it woudl be such a good idea to start out with Epic games....

As far as charcater concepts go though it would really depend on the world/game proposal as to what i would want to make.

PS - I was too slow on seeing your post for the "Epic Problem" game Jemal, but PM me if a slot opens up eh? :)

pallandrome

First Post
kinem said:
I might be interested just to try it out, but I am against the Epic rules and when I DM I don't use them. There are too many stupidities within them like epic social skills and infinite arrow shots, not to mention the fact that it makes no sense that people could continue to improve exponentially without limit, and it makes world building too hard if there is no upper power level and there are long lived races. Besides all that, I have never seen an Epic game last very long - it's clunky and low level challenges seem easier to get immersed in the roleplaying of.

Sorry, but I just had to bring this up. While I'll agree that the epic stuff is often silly powerful, that is sorta the point of epic isn't it? I mean, if you are looking for reasonable "what real people can do" sorta stuff, then anything over level 5 or 10 is pretty much out of the question. Hell, fighters arn't supposed to be supernatural at ALL, but they can just off cliffs with nary a care at high levels.

kinem

Adventurer
The high level stuff is often not realistic, but it's not completely crazy, either. Real people have survived long falls. And that fighter still has a 5% chance of dying from massive damage. It's not realistic but it's like what we see in movies and TV shows, and it's still possible to play along with it and pretend it's OK. But with much of the Epic stuff, it's just stupid. It leaves the realm of pulp fiction and goes all the way into that of bad cartoons.

Jemal

Adventurer
kinem said:

That said, I may soon start a 20th level PBP here as I am interested in trying DMing at that level.

I've both played and DM'd in multiple Epic Campaigns that have lasted anywhere from a few months playing casually to almost a year playing about 12-20 hours a week.
I've played characters from lvl 16 that got up to lvl 30+, started at Epic and gone up, and DM'd a campaign where the PC's ended up level 68 before we finally stopped. You just need to understand the rules, and your players, and how to bend/fix the rules when they need to be 'taken care of' (Without letting your players know, of course)

Nothing's broken unless you let it be. Besides, EPIC to me (And my friends) Has always been the Midievel equivalent of SuperHeroes or Anime-style UBER-WARRIORS.
EXAMPLE:Quickened Teleport + Multispell + Sun School + Knockback = DBZ Combat Teleport, hit opponent, send opponent flying, teleport behind opponent, repeat.
OR Nightcrawler from the X-men.

Hell, I've seen SpiderMan and Wolverine duke it out at lvl 40 D&D.. that was interesting.. Of course, even at Epic you can't do Wolverine justice, but it was worth a shot.

PLUS I usually see a LOT more roleplaying at Epic simply because so much more thought has gone into the character, and usually when somebody's playing a character at EPIC, it's because that character MEANS something to them... I don't just randomly design personality-deprived killing machines (Well, unless I'm DMing...). I take character concepts that I've played at Various levels.. or never played at all, b/c I saw the character as being too powerful to be cowed by mere Red dragons or solars or Lichs.. And then came.. EPIC.

And just for the record, how does it make sense that people can harness giant balls of fire with a few words and a wave of the hand? Any sane person know's that's impossible. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases