Parting Gifts

kinem

Adventurer
Raven: What kind of masters do you see him having? I think it works better if the PCs are independent; they are considered Heroes of Bylan. However if you do want to go that way, there are some potential masters - email jackmallah@yahoo.com since you'd probably keep that secret.

Also, I'm debating how to deal with the DN's lich transformation. If he gets the full lich template at that point including stat boosts and such - which not everyone thinks he does - then it should have the LA as well. So I think it'd just be the undead type & phylactery.

OTOH I would allow a feat that lets you animate skeletons & zombies of more than 20 HD.

Void: Psionics has not been known to exist in the campaign world, but I might allow it as there were many magics brought to light due to the war. Psionics would be considered a form of magic and there would be transparency. However, all I have access to is the SRD, and I am not as familiar with the psionic rules so I would go over any character carefully and ban what I think is broken, just I have banned certain spells.

Wow, started writing and didn't exactly know when to stop :)
Of course any of this that conflicts with your idea of the campaign is subject to change as you see fit. Are the aberrant feats Abberant blooded and Inhuman Vision from Lords of Maddness acceptable?

---
General Inquisitor Zacharia (Adramalech) Te'Ashun
Abberant Blooded Elf
Paladin 8 / Rogue 12
Patron Deity: Wee Jas

Personality

Long years of deep cover operations and a steady focus on the arts of war and subterfuge have left Zach grim, determined, and some would say ruthless. Normally Zach takes the elven air of aloofness to the extreme, and is a man of few words when he isn't barking orders or calling for quiet. Perhaps surprisingly to those who know Zach on a purely professional level, the Grand Inquisitor is capable of dramatic shifts of character and attitude when he needs to assume an alternate identity. In the company of a few trusted friends Zacharia is warm but sedate, showing a razor wit that hasn't dulled with age.
[sblock]

Early History

War makes men desperate, and in the darkest days of the Cellon conflict elves did turn to most venomous allies. A small colony of elves cut off from their brethren and besieged by overwhelming numbers of drow were sought out by an emissary of Shar who offered succor from their enemies, broken of spirit and disillusioned to their gods, the elves warily accept.

With the aid of fell magics the Yuan-ti did hide the remaining elves in wilds untouched by mortal-kin. The arrangement seemed a grace from a strange but benign society in the beginning, the elves were well cared for and respected by their new neighbors. Surprised by the civility of the Purebloods, the children of Correlon allowed them deeper and deeper into their society.

The Yuan-ti corrupted slowly; a gift of White Resin here, statuettes and art unknowingly desecrated to their vile god finding their way into elven galleries, even introducing select and unwitting elves to cannibalism. It is a credit to the elven spirit that they lasted four generations before falling upon each other like starved dogs. Zach is an offspring of that fated community.

- - -

It is sixty years before the beginning of the Second World War. A famished and half-mad elven youth wanders into Settonton from the surrounding wilderness. Frail and speaking an alien tongue he is taken in by the church of Pelor. Conservative priests whisper in suspicion bordering on fear at the child's slitted pale blue eyes.

- - -

It is twenty years before the Second World War, and the frail youth has grown into an athletic, clever young man. Today is the second proudest of his life, under the embrace of a sunny morning, Zacharia swears his paladin vows. Despite dreams of bloodied altars and serpentine transformations, Zach is a force for virtue within Bylan. His virtue and fevor are applauded by the Order and Bylan nobility alike.

- - -

It is sixteen years before the before the second world war. Zacharia grows further from his peers as the terrible nightmares begin to intrude from his dreams into the waking world. A cult of Nerul worshipers sent by Sasog to weaken Bylan view the paladin as a weak link within the order. Taken in slowly by their ruse Zach unwittingly betrays his church, murders a fellow paladin and Falls in process. The order rebuilds, and all mention of the snake-eyed paladin is stricken from record.

- - -

It is only three years before the Second World War. Zach has gone to ground within Bylans criminal underworld. Starting over in deep cover the Fallen paladin stops thieves, murderers, and worse things on no one's authority but his own. Rumors of an avenging angel calling itself "Adramalech" circulate throughout the darker corners of Bylan.

- - -

The Second World War has begun. Zach returns from hiding and gains atonement under the faith of Cuthbert. His zeal redoubled, Zach moves quickly up the ranks of the Bylan military. Finding acceptance in these desperate times he begins to court the Lady Yule Ashcombe.

- - -

It has been four years since the first blows of the Second World War, and Zach has attained the rank of general and is regarded as a war hero. Between tours of duty he weds the Lady Yule, children are expected as early as the following year.

- - -

The Second World War draws to a close. A grim and tightly muscled knight in black colored chain mail stands atop the castle battlements watching the end of the war unfold beneath him. Mere hours ago Lady Yule (now the lady Yule Te'Ashun) revealed herself as a Yuan-ti Pureblood bent on bringing Zach back into the Serpent fold. Her death is quick. With little left for him on the front Zach returns to Settonton a broken, the first few gray hairs beginning to show prematurely.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Brother Allard

First Post
Given that there doesn't seem to be room in this campaign for my Duskblade/Beguiler/Havoc Mage/Bear Warrior concept, I'm thinking maybe I'll throw out something old school.

That's right: 20th level human fighter. Sword & board.

Behold ye mighty and despair.

kinem

Adventurer
Ygg: Sounds good. The feats are fine.

BrothA: Nothing wrong with the classics.

all: I'd like to see a fleshed out PC personality (background helps establish that, but your PC's history matters less than how you will roleplay).

Also, I would like to know 2 numbers from you:
1) How often do you expect to post?
2) How long are you likely to be able to post at that rate before your real life changes that?

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, Here's the Backgrounds: (Just putting them in spoilers to seperate them from each other. Everyone feel free to give me some insight as to which you think is more interesting.

[sblock= Sir William Windwalker]
Human Male Paladin/Monk/Duelist/Shadowdancer

Brief Background
Sir William Windwalker is a special knight, trained in the ways of the shadow. The Knights of Shadow are an order of holy men who dedicate their lives to keeping Good people as seperated from the true darkness from the world as possible. They do this by placing their own souls and bodies between the innocents and the evil. As the Shadow stands between light and darkness, so do the Knights of Shadow.

William started out as a normal paladin, dedicating his life to the eradication of "Evil" after witnessing many of the atrocities of the war. He combined the natural Martial-Art talents of his family with his Dedication to become a powreful foe to the enemy. Until he was captured, and imprisoned, slated to be sacrificed to fuel their dark magics. While waiting helplessly for his end, William befriended an elderly gentleman also locked away. Unknown to him, he had just been enlisted in the secretive Knights of Shadow, and this was his initiation.

With the aid of the old man, he was able to escape, and soon became a full-fledged Shadow Knight.

Personality
Sir Windwalker (William to his peers) is steadfastly dedicated to Good, whether it be through Acts of kindness, Eradication of Evil, or whatever. He is a firm believer in 'doing the right thing', even when it's not always the smart thing. (Though that does not, as some have wrongly guessed, stem from a lack of intelligence, merely a belief that if it's the right thing to do, it's probably worth it).

William is not your standard 'stick up the rear' Holy Warrior, and is dedicated to the Spirit of law and Goodness rather than the specific innuendo's of it. As a Shadow Knight, he believes in the greater good, though not to the point of overwriting individual freedoms. There is a very fine line that must be walked between doing what you think is right for everyone, and taking away their freedom to decide that themselves.

The Knights of Shadow believe that by placing themselves closer to the darkness, they keep everyone else safer, and they do the things that the really good people shouldn't have to. Sometimes, if the knight is not pure enough, this can lead to a degradation of character, and some knights have been known to cross too far into the shadows, loosing themselves. It's tough to maintain your righteousness when you're constantly in contact with such vileness, but somehow William has managed to do so... Thus far.

[/sblock]

OR

[sblock=Kurina]
Elven Female Ranger/Sorc/Horizon Walker/Arcane Archer

Brief Background
Kurina was always a bit wild, even for an elf, and by the time she'd reached maturity, was far from home. In fact, she doesn't even remember exactly where she was born, or who to.. Can't even remember if Kurina is, in fact, the name she was born with. She lived on her own in the forests for decades, living off the land, but eventually that wasn't enough for her. She had a yearning, a burning desire to see new places, she was drawn to them. Sites of power, places where ancient battles had been waged, she went, saw, and drew power from them, awakening in the process her own latent magical powers.

When the war began, Kurina was in the human land of Bylan, and spent the majority of the war behind enemy lines, using her special abilities to appear, take out small camps of the unnatural invaders, and dissapear without a trace.

Near the end of the war, Kurina despaired at the thought of all these unatural things taking over and destroying the various natural beauties she had spent so long viewing and being inspired by. In her depression she could not bring herself to frequent the lands they had allready conquered and defiled, feeling the lands pain when she was there. She joined a more formalized band of heroes as their scout and helped them. By the end of the war, Kurina had overcome her momentary weakness (With the aid of her newfound human friends), and chided herself on allowing it to stop her from protecting the world's beauty. At that point she vowed to do anything she could to help the humans who had led her through her time of troubles.

Personality
Depends on the time of day, the season, the weather, and what she had for Breakfast. Kurina is about as chaotic and free-spirited as they come, having been all over the place and back again, she is unpredictable, sometimes volatile, and often a tad too 'forward' for most mens liking, though to those who earn her trust, she is a staunch ally and forever loyal friend.

[/sblock]

Also, as to your question, I can usually post daily, sometimes 2-3 times a day if I'm not busy. Not sure if that's going to change in the near future, but if it does, it won't be too dramatic, I might miss a couple days a week.

BTW, as to that class that makes him a LIch... I don't see why it would apply the LA, none of the other transformational prestige classes do. (Dragon Disciple being the easiest example, giving you the full Half Dragon Template by level 10, as well as other abilities the template doesn't ordinarily provide.), of course then again I haven't read the class.

Voidrazor

First Post
I check the EnWorld board several times a day, posting to any particular game every other day. I hope that's not too slow. But I want top be realistic, and realistically that every other day rather than daily. On the good side, my schedule is unlikely to change, and I never drop out of games once they're started.

My character's personality will depend somewhat on whether the build I'm thinking of is approved. And if Tainted Scholar (or a nerfed version thereof) is OK, the what depravity she winds up with.

Haessellekh Elan Wizard 3 /Psion (Egotist) 3 / Cerebremancer 10 / Tainted Scholar 4

Personality: Haessellekh is haunted by the atrocities she's been forced to commit over the centuries by her Sasoguese former masters. She is depressed and cynical almost to the point of being suicidal. Were it not for her fear that raised once again by the Sasoguese or turned into an undead she might have already killed herself. Yet for all remorse she does not seek, or believe she deserves redemption. For the great mysteries of the occult are her only solace.

kinem

Adventurer
BTW: Every paladin must have a patron diety, who is LN, LG, or NG. Depending on your patron's alignment your code will be slightly different. If you follow Pelor (NG) you can get away with bending a few rules for the greater good, while if you follow Cuthbert (LN) your code will be strict but not always merciful.

The dread necromancer does gain many lich abilities over the course of his levels, but not stat boosts and so on. The text just says he "becomes a lich" and does not spell out what he gets, unlike the Dragon Disciple. It says only a humanoid becomes a lich, and it stands to reason that there should be no huge gap between the power of a humanoid who takes 20 levels in the class and a non-humanoid who does so. Also, imagine how a 19th level dread necromancer lich (who got his lichdom the old fashioned way) would feel - he is ECL 23!

While I have the time to look up the boards on any given day (and will) I like to have a good perspective on where the game is and how I want to portray my character before I make the post. Realistically I'll be able to post at least five times a week, mostly in the morning (Central standard time)

Depending on the church of Wee Jas position on Undeath will either have her or Cuthbert as a Patron deity.

*Personality added to original character post*

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
kinem said:
BTW: Every paladin must have a patron diety, who is LN, LG, or NG. Depending on your patron's alignment your code will be slightly different. If you follow Pelor (NG) you can get away with bending a few rules for the greater good, while if you follow Cuthbert (LN) your code will be strict but not always merciful.
I guess I'll have to go with Kurina then, the Knights of Shadow wouldn't be defined by a specific deity, I was working off the phb 'worshipping an ideal' concept. I've never liked playing characters devoted to a specific being. I prefer "For the cause!!!!" or "For the good of all mankind!" to "For the big guy up above!"

The dread necromancer does gain many lich abilities over the course of his levels, but not stat boosts and so on. The text just says he "becomes a lich" and does not spell out what he gets, unlike the Dragon Disciple. It says only a humanoid becomes a lich, and it stands to reason that there should be no huge gap between the power of a humanoid who takes 20 levels in the class and a non-humanoid who does so. Also, imagine how a 19th level dread necromancer lich (who got his lichdom the old fashioned way) would feel - he is ECL 23!
but why would a lich be taking a class that make's you a lich? It'd be like a Half-dragon taking Dragon Disciple (though they actually can't, as the class specifically bars dragons/draconic creatures from taking it).
Obviously I'm missing something about the class.

Remove ads